Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does anyway offer Nurses shift hours?
Nickel 08:31 PM 08-07-2012
I saw an ad for child care for nurses shift. I'm assuming this follows a two days on two days off three days on tue days off holiday, basically every other weekend and every other holiday, yes? Does anyone offer this service? If so, do you charge more than your normal rate? Do you think it's possible to find several parents with the same shift? It wouldn't be so bad if I could find three children that all worked the same shift.

If you do offer this service, do you follow a dc routine on the weekends, or is it more a free for all? And what about running errands and going to events? Do you take them with you or plan around that schedule?

I'm just curious if anyone has experience with this. Would love to hear about it!
MaritimeMummy 03:08 AM 08-08-2012
I take care of my cousin's little guy and she is a nurse. I do not offer those hours.

My hours are from 7am to 6pm. If DCM cousin works 7am to 7pm, she brings him outside of my normal hours, usually around 6:45 (she cuts it close getting to work but I told her to bring him at 6:30 and she won't, LOL), and then DCD picks him up at 5:30 when he gets off work. When DCMCousin works the night shift, she brings him at around 8:30-9am and goes home and sleeps, and then DCD still picks him up.

He doesn't come full time, even though she works full time, but usually anywhere from 2-4 days a week. She gives me a schedule for about 4-5 months in advance so I know what's going on. Anyone else I would require set days if they were part time, but I love my cousin. She does things for me, I do things for her. :-)

Because dad is home in the evenings and weekends, this works for us. However, I have offered to keep him on the odd weekend if need be, but in the 7 months he's been with me she's never once taken me up on that.

...oh, and she brings me Tim Horton's coffee every morning.
countrymom 04:29 AM 08-08-2012
mmmm, tim hortons, I need some this morning.

personally I wouldn't do a nurses schedual. most people have other significant others so there would not be the need to work those crazy hours. And do you want to give up your weekends too.
cheerfuldom 06:16 AM 08-08-2012
no I dont do nurse shifts because their schedule here is 12 hour days, several days a week, including taking turns on the weekend. I have had several nurse's kids in care and the dads or other relatives just help with the time outside of my hours.
Childminder 06:46 AM 08-08-2012
I have nurses children and charge a regular weekly rate. The actual hours in care are usually less than the 45-50 of a regular shift when averaged out. I am open extended hours so I don't mind the 13 hour days 2-3-4 days each week and I always get the schedules ahead of time which is nice.

Good luck getting them on the same schedule as in the same days each week if that is what you mean. =)

I wish all my parents were nurses. They seem to appreciate my extended care hours and are very professional in their treatment of me.
Nickel 06:59 AM 08-08-2012
Thanks for the replies. I was ideally thinking of having three children all on the same schedule, but I know that's wishful thinking. And yes, it does average out to about 45-50 hours per week. Which isn't that bad when you think about it. And it would be 2 days on 2 days off 3 days on 2 days off. Not a bad deal at all. Considering I would only work 2 or 3 days and get a break not 5 days straight. And the every other weekend isn't a big deal. like I said, my husband works a lot. So he's not really hear and we don't live in an area where there is tons to do.

I was thinking of posting an ad specifically geared towards nurses and seeing what hapens. If I get good responses maybe it will work out.
Kelly 10:21 AM 08-08-2012
I recently started a little guy whose mom is a certified nursing asst. She works 12-hr shifts 3 days a week, including every other weekend. So far it hasn't been a problem. I only have one other DCK right now, afternoons only, and my own kids are older. I just schedule things around his days or if I have to go somewhere while he's here, my mom fills in for me. I actually like it pretty well so far.
Nickel 11:28 AM 08-08-2012
Originally Posted by Kelly:
I recently started a little guy whose mom is a certified nursing asst. She works 12-hr shifts 3 days a week, including every other weekend. So far it hasn't been a problem. I only have one other DCK right now, afternoons only, and my own kids are older. I just schedule things around his days or if I have to go somewhere while he's here, my mom fills in for me. I actually like it pretty well so far.

jojosmommy 12:16 PM 08-08-2012
I dont do nurses/shift work schedules even though I live in a med town where almost everyone works those hours.

Its too long for my own kids and they rotate those schdules way too much for me to keep track of. Around here you don't get to say I work wed/thurs/fri 12hrs and the 3rd weekend each month. Your scheduler does what they want with you- unless you request a day off like personal day or something.

Everyone I know who works those hours either has their spouse drop and pick up or gma/gpa help out.
Reply Up