Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Won't Leave
midaycare 02:04 PM 11-07-2017
I know this is a common problem...just trying to figure out a kind way to go about this.

Dcm is usually one of the first ones here and the last to leave. When she comes in the morning, it can be a 5 minute drop off, and my mornings are hectic! I just don't have time for that.

Worse than that is pick up. I close at 5:30 and dcm walks in at 5:30 and proceeds to spend 10 minutes getting dcg out the door. I've tried having her ready - doesn't work! Dcm will - every day - tell dcg to go potty before she gets in the car. I explain that dcg just went, but once the idea is out in the open, dcg is adamant she has to go again.

I just don't want to do small talk at closing. I'm ready to close up and spend time with my family.

Help me find a nice way to do this. I'm not confrontational unless I have to be, and then I'm blunt and it all comes out witchy. There is no in between.
MomBoss 02:08 PM 11-07-2017
I had this problem too so i started saying i had somewhere to be and i may be late lol. "I have dcg all ready for you, Im about to head out myself, gotta be somewhere by 5:45!"
I also would be waiting right by the door with child ready and when she opened it I would say "theres mom! Have a nice night!" And start shutting the door.
Miss A 02:29 PM 11-07-2017
Is it possible to be outside when DCG is due to be picked up? That has helped speed up a few of my lingering parents.
Snowmom 02:33 PM 11-07-2017
Oh, been there.

You need to be blunt with these types.

Tomorrow when the cycle starts, nip it right then.

"Jane, I made sure dcg went to the bathroom just mere minutes ago, she has what she needs to go home and it is past closing time. I need to wrap up my day and clean up." I'd then hold the door open and not entertain a single distraction.
"It's time to leave for the day. See you tomorrow." With a cheerful smile on your face!
boy_mom 02:54 PM 11-07-2017
I agree with PP, be blunt! I had parents like this, and I directly reminded them that I close at 5:30. That means last child out the door at 5:30, not parent walking in at 5:30.

I also reminded them of the late fees and that they continued to incur late fees until the child was out my front door. Telling them how much the small talk would cost going forward really helped it stop quickly!
Blackcat31 02:59 PM 11-07-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Oh, been there.

"Jane, I made sure dcg went to the bathroom just mere minutes ago, she has what she needs to go home and it is past closing time. I need to wrap up my day and clean up." I'd then hold the door open and not entertain a single distraction.
"It's time to leave for the day. See you tomorrow." With a cheerful smile on your face!
YES! ^^^ with a smile! I don't think its 'what' you say but 'how' you say it that makes the difference.

I would avoid trying to say you have somewhere to go in an attempt to get her out the door as you'll end up having to have somewhere to go everyday...kwim?

Just say what you mean but don't say it mean.
Josiegirl 03:14 PM 11-07-2017
What about sending home a note to everybody, reiterating why quick drop-offs and pick-ups are a must? And emphasize that closing at 5:30 means the lights go off and the door locks at 5:30, even a minute past that is over time.
I find it so hard to tell that one parent so it's easier for me to remind everyone. Can't help it-I'm a chicken.
lovemykidstoo 03:29 PM 11-07-2017
Oh yea, have had this one recently too! Dad would walk in and ask jr if he had to go potty before he left. I always have the kids go right before pickup because I just don't need momma and daddy walking through my house in my bathroom. Before they even ask, I would say, oh just so you know, little Sally already went potty. I have had to say too, hate to rush you, but I've got a phone call I have to make real quick or I have somewhere i have to run bye! Usually takes 3 days and then it's not a problem anymore.
midaycare 03:36 PM 11-07-2017
Sounds like this issue is more common than I thought!

Since this dcm is state pay, she won't care about late fees.

I think you guys are right and I just need to be more blunt
Mom2Two 05:33 PM 11-07-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Oh, been there.

I bet you're not as witchy as you think you are. You've got to be firm. She doesn't need a last minute potty every. single. day. If she just went, then she just went. Too bad. If mom doesn't believe you, then she's at the wrong place.
AmyKidsCo 08:17 PM 11-07-2017
My policies state that children must be picked up and OFF THE PREMISES by closing time.

I used to have a mom show up right at closing time to get her 2 yr old. She'd bring her older children and let them all play in my back yard for half an hour before finally leaving. I added the "off the premises" part for her.
Cat Herder 03:18 AM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
My policies state that children must be picked up and OFF THE PREMISES by closing time.
Same here. I had to get ridiculously specific.

"Departure by 5:30 pm. Do not arrive at 5:30 pm. $1 late fee per minute for every minute on property there-after. Please allow yourself enough time for daily brief, sign-out and safe loading of children. Do not block driveway or other vehicles. Turn around is available at cul-de-sac. Do not park or drive on lawn at any time. Do not allow children to throw gravel, enter landscape beds, remove landscape flowers or otherwise damage property. Please be considerate of my home and other families time."

It took a log time to whittle down that one paragraph. Eventually someone will find another loophole and I will have to rework it, again.
laundrymom 03:42 AM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Dcm will - every day - tell dcg to go potty before she gets in the car. I explain that dcg just went, but once the idea is out in the open, dcg is adamant she has to go again.
Look her right in the eye. Stare her down. And say... "Julie, every single day I make sure the children potty right before they are picked up. I am certain she can stay dry in the car. Every day when the last child is readying to go home the only person really needing to use the bathroom is me. I will see you tomorrow. "
And smile.
Repeat daily until you don't need to anymore.
midaycare 05:18 AM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Look her right in the eye. Stare her down. And say... "Julie, every single day I make sure the children potty right before they are picked up. I am certain she can stay dry in the car. Every day when the last child is readying to go home the only person really needing to use the bathroom is me. I will see you tomorrow. "
And smile.
Repeat daily until you don't need to anymore.
Bwah ha ha! Love it.
midaycare 05:18 AM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Same here. I had to get ridiculously specific.

"Departure by 5:30 pm. Do not arrive at 5:30 pm. $1 late fee per minute for every minute on property there-after. Please allow yourself enough time for daily brief, sign-out and safe loading of children. Do not block driveway or other vehicles. Turn around is available at cul-de-sac. Do not park or drive on lawn at any time. Do not allow children to throw gravel, enter landscape beds, remove landscape flowers or otherwise damage property. Please be considerate of my home and other families time."

It took a log time to whittle down that one paragraph. Eventually someone will find another loophole and I will have to rework it, again.
Sniff, sniff. That is a beautiful paragraph.
midaycare 05:24 AM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:

I bet you're not as witchy as you think you are. You've got to be firm. She doesn't need a last minute potty every. single. day. If she just went, then she just went. Too bad. If mom doesn't believe you, then she's at the wrong place.
I've been told by DH that I can have a "tone". I don't mean to, I just do I guess. Looking back at some of my old posts on here, I can read it.
284878 06:12 AM 11-08-2017
Sounds like this issue is more common than I thought!

Since this dcm is state pay, she won't care about late fees.

I think you guys are right and I just need to be more blunt
Can you change that so she has to pay late fees? If you have a dollar a minute late fee, the state will only pay you a (roughly) dollar every 15 minutes, you should be able to require her to make up the difference.
Indoorvoice 06:17 AM 11-08-2017
With my lingerer I say have a great night then start the vacuum and start vacuuming the entry rug where they're standing
lovemykidstoo 06:34 AM 11-08-2017
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
With my lingerer I say have a great night then start the vacuum and start vacuuming the entry rug where they're standing
That is hilarious!
Meeko 07:37 AM 11-08-2017
I've been told by DH that I can have a "tone". I don't mean to, I just do I guess. Looking back at some of my old posts on here, I can read it.
I have one of those "tones" too........be proud!!
Kimskiddos 08:00 AM 11-08-2017
I too have the tone. Couple that with resting bitch face and I can be pretty scary.
Mom2Two 12:17 PM 11-09-2017
You just go right ahead and rock that tone, girl!
midaycare 12:38 PM 11-09-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
That puts a positive spin on things!
midaycare 12:38 PM 11-09-2017
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
I too have the tone. Couple that with resting bitch face and I can be pretty scary.
Lolololol! You crack me up!
nannyde 01:31 PM 11-09-2017
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:

Sahweet
MyAngels 04:53 PM 11-09-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Oh yes, the "tone" is what keeps my families in check. Don't like the "tone"? Don't do anything to bring it on
Tags:lingering parents
Reply Up