Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents, Ugh!!
melissa ann 05:08 PM 08-23-2009
This past week was the 2nd week since my rate increase. I have basically one family. 2: 1/2 siblings and 1 cousin. The mom of the 2 and the grandpa of the cousin take turns paying. The first week the mom paid. It was fine. This past Friday, the grandpa paid and shorted me $10 plus was 15 min. late.
He paid me the old rate and not the new rate. I did not realize it right away. Now, I do give them slips on how much they owe for the week. So there was no need for the shorted amount. I have never charge them the late fee before, but I have it in my handbook. And it's been happening a bit frequently. I used to get a phone call if the grandpa was going to be late. But not lately. This is the same guy that I posted before who doesn't like the whole day rate even if they are only here 1/2. So on the days when the other 2 come later, he will bring the cousin in early. I just did my Sept. newsletter. In it, I stated that my rates have increased, and attached a copy of my June newsletter, which stated the rate increase. I will be expecting the $10 that was shorted and the late fee.
I am thinking that maybe I should go to an houly rate. Right now, I'm at $18/day. and most days the kids are here 11 hours. They work 9 hours, but it takes about 45 mins. to get to their jobs. But some weeks, 2 of them are only here about 3 hours, so that wouldn't work either. Lately, I've been thinking if this is really worth it. The kids are great and they love the crafts, But I can't keep going with my rates the way they are. But I'm about ave. in my area.
mac60 02:54 AM 08-24-2009
Personally, I would stick with weekly rates, and you pay whether you are here or not, vacations, holidays, sick days included. I would have a Minimum weekly rate also, so that it is always worth having the child enrolled.

Some Ideas that may work:

Put a limit on the hours your daily rate covers, like 9 hours, 9 1/2 hours, whatever you feel is fair, etc, then charge an hourly rate OVER those hours. I agree, 11 hours for $18 is not much.

OR

A set rate for up to 45 hours or 50 hours of care, then additional charges beyond these hours.

OR

Could you charge more for full days explaing that you have them 11 hours, and then come up with a 1/2 day rate for those 3 hour days, like maybe $22 for full days and $15 for 1/2 days (up to a set amt of hours).

OR

2 to 20 Hours...This rate $40 (I charge more for less days/hours per week
20 to 45 Hours...$90
Over 45 Hours...$90 + $2.00 per hour
(or whatever)

I like to do things the easiest way possible, as parents always try to find a way to get around the rules.

When 2 of them are only there 3 hours, where is the 3rd child, there all day or gone? It sounds confusing.

This is why I simply went with full day weekly rates only. You have to cover your wages. Please let us know what you decide to do.
melissa ann 04:54 AM 08-24-2009
When the mom brings her 2 later, the grandpa brings the other one at 6am because he doesn't like paying the full day when he's only here a couple hours. I originally had a 1/2 day rate, but they seemed to be abusing that.
Also, the grandpa told me several months ago that his hours were going to be cut. He was supposed to be getting off 1 hour earlier, but if he is, he's not coming any sooner, if anything, it's later.
tymaboy 07:13 AM 08-24-2009
Does the Grandpa know of the increase? Maybe he is paying the old fee cuz he did not read or mom did not tell him. I do not do news letters cuz most parents do not read them, if I hand them any type of form/letter I explain to them what it is & then they can keep it as a reminder. It sounds to me like you need to explain to Grandpa about the new rates & if it is not paid in full then a late fee will be added until it is paid in full. I give my parents the option of a daily rate or hourly rate but I have the hourly rate higher then the daily rate. Remember that this is your business & you are the one that makes the rules not the parents.
melissa ann 08:58 AM 08-24-2009
The late fee is not for the payment but because he was 15 min. late (after my closing time) on friday when he picked up the kids. Normally, he calls and I let it go. But lately, he hasn't been calling to say he is going to be late.
I don't have the kids today, but I will have them from 6am-5pm the rest of the week.
Normally, the newsletters work. I don't often get to see the mom, and her dad "forgets" to mentions things to her, so I ususally slip the newsletter in the diaper bag.
Since I just changed my rates, I don't think it would be appropiate to make changes already. But I do have to come up with something.
Creative Kids in NJ 09:47 PM 12-12-2009
Just charge half day and full day rates. Then Unscheduled day fee as well.
momma2girls 05:31 AM 12-13-2009
I like the idea of the daily fee, but set up a maximum amt. of hrs. on your daily fee. If your average rate in your area is $18.00- say that it is for 45 hrs. maximum per week. That gives them a 40 hr. plus 5 hrs. You really need to do something!! I know some do it this way around here- anything over 9 hrs. a day is overtime rate at $5.00 per hr.
I hope this helps and good luck with everything!!!
Tags:handbook, late fee, rates
Reply Up