Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Snowy Conditions Proving Hazardous for Nations Idiots"
Cat Herder 07:14 AM 01-07-2014
Gotta love a good Onion article... ( http://www.theonion.com/ )

Seriously though, how is everyone faring???

Parents being responsible, kids well dressed, did they all have backup plans???

Inquiring minds want to know....

(this is intended to be a fun post, if you have no sense of humor this morning, please move along.)
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 01-07-2014
Well, it's warmer today than it was suppose to be. Our schools closed but I am open and just told my parents that if being at work isn't prudent, do NOT bring your children.

I have 4 families (5 kids) that still brought their children.

Only one family was NOT working but in their defense, it is the dad that's a teacher and off work but they are remodeling their home and he needs to get something done and I can understand not wanting to do construction work with an 18 month old running amok.

It's a nice mellow day at work for me so it's all good.

LOTS of rearranging and paperwork that needs to get done so I've got plenty to do.
Cat Herder 07:35 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's a nice mellow day at work for me so it's all good.

LOTS of rearranging and paperwork that needs to get done so I've got plenty to do.
Nice

It is ridiculously cold today, but absolutely beautiful. We had become so blah from the grey days, this is such a huge relief.

All the kids arrived safely, on time, are well dressed (for indoors, too) and one Mom even brought an unopened box of instant hot chocolate and mini-marshmallows for us... It was a pretty awesome surprise.
Lucy 07:51 AM 01-07-2014
We've been lucky in the west. 50's to the north and 70's to the south.
MsLaura529 07:59 AM 01-07-2014
Yesterday I had 3 out of 4 today I had 2 out of 3 show up. All the parents are home (A couple of teachers and one mom on her last week of maternity leave). They just showed up 1-2 hours after I open (without me knowing until I sent out the text asking if anyone was coming ... would have been nice to sleep in a bit). They were late because one had to dig their car since it was stuck sideways in their driveway since yesterday evening, and the other one had to go through 3 cycles of auto-start on his car before it was warm enough for him to go in it ... I think that's a sign it's a bit too cold to bring your kid out if you don't need to. Oh well ...

We aren't going outside, but everyone is coming in all bundled up, so that's a plus.
BBDC 08:01 AM 01-07-2014
Its been a crazy day already this morning. My daughters school was just two hours late. I totally planned on it being cancelled as seriously they are like the only school open in the area or anywhere around for that matter lol! I thought about keeping her home as I do think its crazy they are having school But she wanted to go. So had to get her up, ready and fed put a baby to sleep my son was needing to be wiped screaming in the bathroom. And a set of twins that were just going crazy this morning. Hopefully it will all calm down now. What a morning. Baby only slept an hour but twins will nap early as dad comes at 2. But have my afterschool kids now today also. Gonna be one of those LONG days. time to slam something down for breakfast for myself lol! Im starving.
morgan24 08:08 AM 01-07-2014
All mine stayed home yesterday and today, -8 here windchill -33, school cancelled. Unexpected days off have been quite nice getting lots of reading done! Hope everyone survives the cold.
mountainside13 08:12 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

(this is intended to be a fun post, if you have no sense of humor this morning, please move along.)
Dcg wasn't here yesterday (payday) bc dad didn't work, he's a teacher. He dropped off this morning and said that he forgot the check and he would just pay tomorrow. I said back oh ok, we don't really need groceries tonight anyways! Um, I will go to the ATM after work. Wonderful! We didn't want to eat a PP & J again! ;-) yea for sarcastic backbone!

I had 2 families, 3 kids drop off without hats and/or gloves.
Cat Herder 08:23 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
We've been lucky in the west. 50's to the north and 70's to the south.

So jealous!!! Oh, one day I will have to visit the West. I have never made it further than West Alabama....

Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
Yesterday I had 3 out of 4 today I had 2 out of 3 show up. All the parents are home (A couple of teachers and one mom on her last week of maternity leave). They just showed up 1-2 hours after I open (without me knowing until I sent out the text asking if anyone was coming ... would have been nice to sleep in a bit). We aren't going outside, but everyone is coming in all bundled up, so that's a plus.
Well, that stinks... Notice would have been nice, I would not go out today, either. Hopefully they all sleep well for you, you deserve a break!!!

Originally Posted by BBDC:
Its been a crazy day already this morning. My daughters school was just two hours late. But she wanted to go. So had to get her up, ready and fed put a baby to sleep my son was needing to be wiped screaming in the bathroom. And a set of twins that were just going crazy this morning. Hopefully it will all calm down now. What a morning.
Hope you get a nice long lunch to make up for your missed breakfast. My daughter is the same, wants to go to school... Afraid she will have to make up the days during her summer. At least that is what she tells me, I think it is because she wants to leave the infants and toddlers and hang out with people whose noses don't blow bubbles when they laugh...

Originally Posted by morgan24:
All mine stayed home yesterday and today, -8 here windchill -33, school canceled. Unexpected days off have been quite nice getting lots of reading done! Hope everyone survives the cold.
Reading sounds like a dream!!! I am not sure it is worth those temps though... Holy Cow!! I can never complain about my temps ever agin... well, unless they hit 120 this summer, again... I may whine a tad bit then....
Cat Herder 08:24 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
Dcg wasn't here yesterday (payday) bc dad didn't work, he's a teacher. He dropped off this morning and said that he forgot the check and he would just pay tomorrow. I said back oh ok, we don't really need groceries tonight anyways! Um, I will go to the ATM after work. Wonderful! We didn't want to eat a PP & J again! ;-) yea for sarcastic backbone!

I had 2 families, 3 kids drop off without hats and/or gloves.
I hear you!!!

If you can make them laugh, you win... Wasn't it Homer Simpson who perfected that philosophy???
TaylorTots 08:37 AM 01-07-2014
2 of 2 kids are here today, one late as dcg is teacher in district that had 2 hr delay.

Kind if irked as she brought her in and said "she has a low grade fever, gave her tylonel, probably teething" -- I would have kept dcg anyway as the temp mom gave wasn't higher than my illness policy states...i am just irked she didn't ask..just told :P so that makes it a normal morning here lol. Oh and the 6, 4, and 3 year olds are bickering hard today, finally gave up and put on an educational tv show...ahem....

Whoops lost my sense of humor lol sorry!
DaycareMom 08:42 AM 01-07-2014

Ha ha I love your disclaimer at the bottom!
My DD didn't have school yesterday, but all the kids were here yesterday and today. This was the first time everyone came prepared with all outdoor snow gear. Too bad it's too cold to play outside
Cat Herder 09:04 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
Whoops lost my sense of humor lol sorry!
Nah.... You will get it back after a little naptime chocolate.

Hope you don't catch a case of teething, DCM may have to pay for two providers, then.

Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
Ha ha I love your disclaimer at the bottom!
I was waiting for someone to call me out on name calling..... Idiot is a bad word, doncha know...

The article just made me smile over coffee this AM and inspired a great mood...

I think I'd not send the gloves/hats home, toss 'em in their cubbies and call it a day.
Maria2013 09:15 AM 01-07-2014

MarinaVanessa 09:24 AM 01-07-2014
if you have no sense of humor this morning, please move along.)

I'm in Southern California so we don't exactly have "seasons" kwim. So no snow for us here. It's 9:25 right now and 48 degrees. Our low for today is 46 degrees and our high is 71 degrees.
melilley 10:42 AM 01-07-2014
All schools are closed. 2 out of 2 came today. One came so bundled up that he couldn't walk (kinda reminded me of the kid in The Christmas Story) and his mom kinda just shoved him in the door (nicely) and talked to me while she was walking out. His mom is the project manager for our township and her car wouldn't make through the streets so the Fire Chief brought dcm and dcb here.

My other dcb's parents are off today, both of them. Same dcb who comes everyday no matter what-except yesterday because they couldn't get our of their driveway.

CH-Don't ask why, but I thought it was funny that you mentioned that the hot chocolate box was unopened...lol
melilley 10:43 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

I'm in Southern California so we don't exactly have "seasons" kwim. So no snow for us here. It's 9:25 right now and 48 degrees. Our low for today is 46 degrees and our high is 71 degrees.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 71! I'm closing my eyes and imagining that!
Cat Herder 10:55 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
CH-Don't ask why, but I thought it was funny that you mentioned that the hot chocolate box was unopened...lol
Ok I love the special workday delivery by Fire Dept.. Top 5 funny in all my years...

As for the unopened package... "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen..." sing it with me now..

It has to be unopened or in individual packets. I've been bit by that dog before... It is a batch box, not packets (the kind that come in gift baskets).
melilley 11:00 AM 01-07-2014
Ok I love the special workday delivery by Fire Dept.. Top 5 funny in all my years...
I should clarify: they were delivered in a SUV, not a fire truck...lol
Funny thing is, well not really funny, but we had a fire 2 1/2 years ago and the fire chief was here. I wonder if he remembered?
Hunni Bee 08:10 PM 01-07-2014
We had 17 of 20...so pretty normal day numbers wise. My coteacher was out sick, but they gave me a decent sub, so it wasn't a disaster that we had to stay in.

I let them run coatless to the end of the playground and back (the winter equivalent of streaking ). It was 9 degrees. It hasn't been that cold here probably in their lives, so they got a little cheap thrill. I was was just waiting for some stuffy parent (or administrator) to come by and see.

I had to leave 3 of them inside due to lack of winter gear, but when it warmed up to a toasty 21*, we went outside.

Not a bad day all in all.
Tags:a day in the life, funny, humor, weather forecast
Reply Up