Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Majority Of Dcks Are....
KEG123 05:41 PM 01-06-2011
Maybe this is a silly question, (I'm full of 'em!) but are most of your dkc state funded? I know there is a lot of need for licensed daycare providers in my area because of the need for low income families. I won't know my own ratio for a couple months, I'm sure.
Missani 06:12 PM 01-06-2011
I have 6 DCKs and none of them are state funded. I have done care for state funded families in the past, but the majority of my clients have been self pay. I think it depends on the area and it just seems to go in spurts. When I worked in a center we would have times where just a handful of families received child care assistance and other times where it would reach 1/3 to 1/2 of the families receiving assistance. Also, in my area at least, there is less child care funding available right now due to budget cuts so I guess it makes sense that I am not currently seeing families on state/county assistance.
Greenshadow 06:21 PM 01-06-2011
Im in an area with all four branches of the military. They all live and work around this area. All of my DCK's are self pay. I did live in a small town in California where all of my DCK's were state funded. It really does depend on the area you live in. Not that its a low income area but factors like more/less military, etc.
MyAngels 07:23 PM 01-06-2011
I've never had any state funded families. I've only been asked to take one one time, which I did, but before they even started their income changed and they became self-pay anyway. Given the state of the Illinois budget and government right now, I doubt that I would take anyone if they asked, as I'm not sure I'd ever get paid.
nannyde 03:37 AM 01-07-2011
no state funded
Little People 04:22 AM 01-07-2011
No state funded
daysofelijah 04:30 AM 01-07-2011
no state, only 1 in 8 years and I wouldn't do it again, too much hassle
nikia 04:40 AM 01-07-2011
I have one that is state funded about to be two families. One mom just decided to have her work cut her hours so can she get state assistance and food stamps. That's another issue though. I think its a hassle to have state funded. The checks take forever in my state.
AnythingsPossible 04:44 AM 01-07-2011
I have two families that are state funded and have never had issues with getting paid in the 8 years I have done daycare. I usually have 2 to 3 families on assistance. I also have 2 families whose daycare bill is paid by the tribe, now that I have had problems with! They pay, just really, really late. I know that there seems to be a mix in our area, some area's mainly only have state pay and there are some providers who have mostly self pay.
SunflowerMama 04:47 AM 01-07-2011
I don't have any state funded either and have never even received a call or email from a family that is SF.
Lilbutterflie 06:31 AM 01-07-2011
No state funding yet. I have heard lots of stories about the nightmares though. Is it considered discrimination if we have a policy against state-funding?? I would really like to put in my contract that I don't accept it, but worried that someone might sue me for discrimination.
tenderhearts 06:38 AM 01-07-2011
I have never had any state funded families.
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
No state funding yet. I have heard lots of stories about the nightmares though. Is it considered discrimination if we have a policy against state-funding?? I would really like to put in my contract that I don't accept it, but worried that someone might sue me for discrimination.
Half my families are state assisted. We can chose to take families on assistance or we can chose NOT to take them. That is up to us and we are not considered discriminating by doing so because it is a lot of extra paperwork to get paid through the state and they can't require us to do that extra work without being compensated (which we aren't) State law does say though that we can NOT charge state funded familes any more than self-paying families. In my state (or for my area anyways) it is fairly easy and I have never NOT gotten paid by the state. The paperwork in my opion is simple and I don't mind. I have no issues with state assisted families because the state's checks don't bounce , they pay regularly(we get a direct deposit in our banks on a biweekly schedule), they pay for absent days, and they pay the final two weeks if a family up and leaves without notice. In my area, any breaking of the rules falls on the family receiving the assistance and not the provider so we are never the ones left holding the short end of the stick. The state will even pay a deposit and registration fee IF the provider charges all families this same cost.
SandeeAR 07:14 AM 01-07-2011
Not licensed, so no state funding.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Not licensed, so no state funding.
Non-licensed providers can also be paid by state funding in my state...just at a lower rate than licensed providers. Oh, and they must be 18 years old too. Family members can also be paid, like Grandparents and aunts and uncles, step-grandparents and even boyfriends/girlfriends!! Just not siblings or biological parents.
Tin Blues 07:31 AM 01-07-2011
I took a state paid kid years ago and swore never again.

None of my dckids are currently on state assistance. When I get a call asking if I accept state paid kids I just say no.
E Daycare 10:27 AM 01-07-2011
Im not licensed but havent even had anyone whos state funded ask if I accept state aid. Maybe its because I advertise stating Im not licensed so it deters people. Either way, I have issues with the self pay parents and cant imagine having to add the state too.
boysx5 10:33 AM 01-07-2011
in 15 years I have never had a state funded child in my care
Tags:state funded, subsidy
Reply Up