Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Have Enough Riding Toys For Everyone?
SunflowerMama 08:21 AM 05-05-2011
I ditched my cozy coupes (had 2) on CL and have been on a tricycle purchasing kick that last couple of days.

My girls already had 2 scooters so we have those out there now and I picked up 2 trikes last night from CL for $10 each (and one is a Kettler so I was siked about the price).

I have scheduled to pick up 2 more tonight for $10 each.

That would give pretty much all of the 3+ kids something to ride during outdoor time.

I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and get the 2 trikes tonight or just stick with 2 trikes and 2 scooters.

All my kids, except 1 are ages 3-5.
Meyou 08:29 AM 05-05-2011
I used to have enough for everyone and then a few extra. However, they just fought over the same 4 cars constantly so I got rid of the extras. They were just taking up space. Now they have to use their words and ask for the next turn. Much less fighting this way.
cheerfuldom 08:54 AM 05-05-2011
I don't have enough for everyone and only my girls play with bikes/trikes/etc after daycare hours. My group has never done well with ride on items or push toys indoors so we just don't do them. I do have three ride one toys for outside and for some reason, they don't fight for those.
Cat Herder 09:08 AM 05-05-2011
I have 4 identical ones and they will still fight over the one the other child is sitting on.

Kids.....
Meeko 09:18 AM 05-05-2011
My kids have to learn to share. I don't have the room for 16 trikes, 16 scooters etc etc!

We don't usually take them all out at the same time. But I don't have the storage for megaloads of outside gear.

We actually have two slides INDOORS! (the weather here can be scorching hot and freezing cold....we get year round use of them inside and the kids can still stretch and climb and get the wriggles out even when we don't go outside) When outside, we spend more time playing with the parachute, balls, sidewalk chalk and so on.
SilverSabre25 09:26 AM 05-05-2011
at the moment, yes, but inevitably one type is preferred over another. I have two cozy coupes, two trikes, a roller coaster, a scooter...I think that's it. My DD's roller skates and big girl bike are off limits to everyone (even her) during dc time.

However, they do tend to want whichever car someone else is in, whichever trike someone else is on, etc....
newtodaycare22 09:50 AM 05-05-2011
If you have the rollercoast toy....Do your 3-5 year olds like it? I'm wondering if it will be too old for my kids.
SilverSabre25 09:51 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
If you have the rollercoast toy....Do your 3-5 year olds like it? I'm wondering if it will be too old for my kids.
heck yes they LOVE it! That thing is beloved by even my 7 and 9 year old nieces and nephews!
mac60 09:59 AM 05-05-2011
No more riding toys here. I got rid of them 2 years ago. They would not keep them off the small patio where I would sit and my feet were constantly getting ran over, and they abused them very badly by crashing into one another and crashing them into my patio furniture. After repeated warnings, one night they quietly disappeared....no more feet getting run over, no more fighting over them, peace at last.
cheerfuldom 10:51 AM 05-05-2011
we have the roller coasters outside, big hit! I also have a small slide inside and we move one of the climbers indoors during the winter.
youretooloud 10:53 AM 05-05-2011
I was going to sell my Cozy Coups on Craigslist too. I was thinking of asking $5 for each.

They are too big, they don't fit on the sidewalk, and nobody can get past them unless we move them out of the way... there are way too many carjackings with those, and I'm tired of the bickering.

But, I have some small trikes, and one scooter. They LOVE the scooter. If I replace the two cars, I'll get more scooters.
countrymom 11:03 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
I have this toy and all the kids love it. Ok, my ds (he's 8) will take his skateboard or scooter on it too, its so funny.
SunflowerMama 11:05 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I was going to sell my Cozy Coups on Craigslist too. I was thinking of asking $5 for each.

They are too big, they don't fit on the sidewalk, and nobody can get past them unless we move them out of the way... there are way too many carjackings with those, and I'm tired of the bickering.

But, I have some small trikes, and one scooter. They LOVE the scooter. If I replace the two cars, I'll get more scooters.
What condition are your coupes in? I asked $30 for each and got buckets of emails. They sold and were picked up in less than 4 hours. They didn't have any cracks or fading but didn't have the stickers or keys anymore. I bet you could ask more than $5.
youretooloud 11:14 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
What condition are your coupes in? I asked $30 for each and got buckets of emails. They sold and were picked up in less than 4 hours. They didn't have any cracks or fading but didn't have the stickers or keys anymore. I bet you could ask more than $5.

Mine are in about the same shape. Maybe I'll raise the price. I don't have time to do it this week, but I was thinking Monday I would.
PitterPatter 11:17 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
we have the roller coasters outside, big hit! I also have a small slide inside and we move one of the climbers indoors during the winter.
I have been thinking about getting this. How much do they run? Does the car stay on track well?

I have 8 riding toys all differen't for dif ages/stages. They all fight over the car so I thought about buying a bunch of those and giving the rest away. My problem with the car is when it rains the back hatch thing fills up and the seat fills up so if I forget to dump it in the morning it's wet when they go to play. Just a pain in the butt or wet butt I should say.

So I thought about that coaster. They get in line and take turns for the slide so I'm HOPING they would just do the same for this. How do your kids do?
PitterPatter 11:18 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:

Cute!!!
daycare 11:20 AM 05-05-2011
my backyard is not big enough for every kid to ride at the same time. I do have several trikes, but I only allow 3 riders at a time and the rest have to play in the sandbox, water table, or art area....

they all rotate out. I release the kids by good behavior from circle time. so the kids that go out first get to choose the toy first...the bikes are always first to go....
WImom 11:41 AM 05-05-2011
We have the coaster too and they love that thing. I only have one ride on and two trikes with 6 kids and it's fine so far but we shall see once the weather is nicer if I need to get more.

I got my coaster on CL for $45 but I've seen them new for $100 or more.
ammama 12:00 PM 05-05-2011
I used to have 2 coupe cars, but they took up so much room in my outdoor toy storage, and the kids we're always fighting over them. Now I just have 1 trike, 1 scooter, 1 little crappy plastic ride on for 4-5 kids, 2-5 years old. I have so much else to do in my backyard that they never fight over anything back there.
SilverSabre25 12:20 PM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I have been thinking about getting this. How much do they run? Does the car stay on track well?

So I thought about that coaster. They get in line and take turns for the slide so I'm HOPING they would just do the same for this. How do your kids do?
I got mine used off CL for $40 but would TOTALLY be willing to pay full price for a new one. It's very, VERY worth it. I'm not sure what you mean precisely by staying on the track--I've never seen it fall off on the way down unless the child didn't get it seated properly on the track to begin with. It does continue to roll for quite a distance once it reaches the end of the track.

My kids are still very much learning the "wait in line, take turns" concept, but they do all right with it if I'm on top of them. They are littles though--2 yr 0 mos, 2 yrs 2 mos, 3 yrs 0 mos, 3.5 yrs.
Tags:toys, toys - riding
Reply Up