Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New DCG Doesn't Seem to Understand Anything????
Unregistered 07:17 AM 09-12-2013
She is 2.5 cries for mom all day and does not understand anything I say to her, when it matters. She does not follow directions. I will tell her to put away the toys and she will say okay and then just stare at me. I can tell her 20 times, show her, guide her hand, but she still will stare at me say okay and just stand there. If it is something she wants to do she jumps right on it.

When she cries for her mom I have her sit away from the kids until she can stop crying. I say when you're ready to stop crying you can come out, she responds with I'm not crying over and over again while whining or crying.

I'm not sure how to handle this child. The behavior is constant and is starting to affect my other toddlers, they all copy her behavior. My toddlers that always listened and did what they were asked and followed directions suddenly blankly stare at me and stand like statues when asked to do anything, just like DCG.

Help!
Unregistered 07:25 AM 09-12-2013
I have a child like this and have had some in the past. It can be really frustrating. Show them what you expect them to do first. Then have they try, give her 3 chances. Make sure you say this is your second chance, this is your third and last chance if you don't listen you will go to time out. When you put her in time out do not talk to her or show her attention, of course still keeping an eye on her. Keep being consistent and it will get better if it doesn't. Then it's up to you if you want to keep her or term her. Good luck
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 09-12-2013
This is pretty common for kids that age who have little or no experience in groups of other kids....

Kids learn by copying their peers and watching the way others around them behave.

This would be a fantastic time to do a bit of educating about facial expressions/emotions and such.

When she repeats that she isn't crying...it's not that she thinks she is done crying, she is just repeating what you said to her.... Take a mirror and SHOW her a smile and then show her the face she is making. Show her a smile, a frown etc....

Another thing you could try is instead of telling the kids what to do, ask them what they think they should do next at the time. When it's time to clean up and eat lunch I will tell the kids it's time to eat, "but there are sooooo many toys out, what do you think we should do about that?" and then wait for them to think about the nest step.

Some kids are so used to their parent(s) just doing things for them, that they don't have that "next step" clue.... Sometimes you have to jump start it...

I know that isn't a total answer to your issue, but those little things might help her fit in a bit better.
Tags:behavior issues, contagious behavior, won't follow directions
Reply Up