Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas On How To Get Them To Mind
Hunni Bee 02:23 PM 03-29-2012
I don't know what it is....Spring Fever, the gross overproduction of pollen turning them into zombies...but my kids are not minding. They eventually do as I ask, but it's after 2 or 3 times and often some help from me. That's not how I want it to work, I don't like physically making them sit down, turn off the water, clean the toys, etc all day.

Should I give a consequence immediately? Should I go to each child and give directions separately each time?

Help please
Michael 04:49 PM 03-29-2012
You make it sound like this is out of the ordinary. If so, don't fret. Otherwise it could be contagious behavior. I would give directions to the dominant child first and then the others.
Hunni Bee 05:12 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
You make it sound like this is out of the ordinary. If so, don't fret. Otherwise it could be contagious behavior. I would give directions to the dominant child first and then the others.
Yeah, it is for this particular group. Thanks though, Michael. I'll try that.
Countrygal 05:32 AM 03-30-2012
Hunni, I've been experiencing the same thing, but unfortunately it is NOT out of character for my group. My own ds minds the best but is also the instigator. There is a dcg who is also very independent and a leader. Sometimes I think they just clash because of personalities.

But as for the not minding - it is driving me nuts. I mean, it can even be a safety issue, especially in an emergency. DCP agree the kids do not mind well, and I have worked to get them on board - they are pretty cooperative, but are busy people.

I am literally at my wit's end as well, so am hoping some other people will post more ideas on how to handle this.

I started out using time outs. That was totally ineffective, so now if a child is not behaving I am making them go do "quiet play" by themselves in another room where I can still moniter them (see them) but where they are not influencing the other children. If that doesn't work they "shadow" me for the rest of the day. This seems to be more effective. But I'd love to hear how other people handle this.

Not minding seems to be the way to raise kids nowadays.
Tags:contagious behavior, focus
Reply Up