Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thoughts on Pets?
CountryRoads 03:50 PM 03-15-2019
Do you let your pets around the kids?

All my dck love our animals. Our dogs tolerate the kids good, they stay outside most of the day.

Our cat rarely comes out, and when she does she lets the kids touch her. Dcm has been making remarks this week saying "dcb says the kitty bit him", "he keeps saying 'kitty bite me'". She said today "he still talks about it." Just random remarks.

I don't really know what to say when she brings it up. I told her dcb is not afraid of her, but I would try to make sure she stays away from the daycare area when she comes out. Dcm said if he wants to pet her, than that's fine. But she STILL makes comments.

I didn't see our cat bite him, but she probably did. No marks were made, but dcb is not nice to her, so I understand why she bit him
hwichlaz 04:14 PM 03-15-2019
my cats avoid the kids, the dogs love them...but the playroom is gated off so the kids really only interact through the gate or at pick up and drop off times.
Ariana 04:21 PM 03-15-2019
I let my 12 year old dog and my 9 month old kitty in the daycare to interact with the kids. The dog is harmless but the kitty is still a kitten and I warn the kids before they touch him. I teach them the signs that mean “leave me alone” like pawing or twitching tail. He has only ever scratched one kid and it was an accident as she was taking a toy from him and he reached for it, claws out! Oherwise both animals are amazing around children.

In your situation I would tell her that you’re not sure why he is saying it as you habe not witnessed anything and thag maybe he is afraid the cat will bite him and he is fixated on it. One of my DCG had a scratch on her leg from the weekend and she said my daughter did it eventhough my daughter was nowhere near her and is in school all week! Kids make stuff up all the time.
e.j. 05:02 PM 03-15-2019
For the most part, our pets are kept away from the dc kids for liability reasons and for the safety of the animal. Also, as Ariana said, kids make things up. If a dc kid claims one of our pets caused an injury, I want to be able to truthfully say that the pets are not around the kids. Once in awhile, one of my dd's cats comes downstairs and the kids see him but aren't allowed to touch him - mostly for his own safety.
jenboo 08:53 PM 03-15-2019
My dogs do not have access to the daycare kids. It's not worth the liability.
Ac114 09:17 AM 03-16-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
My dogs do not have access to the daycare kids. It's not worth the liability.
Same here. Both for liability and so our dog is not tormented by the kids.
Tags:child safety, pets in daycare, safety of children
Reply Up