Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sippy Cups With Spouts Or Straws
countrymom 11:19 AM 03-05-2012
which one do you let your dck's have. Someone mentioned that they are glorified bottles, sippy cups that is, and she is right, so which one do you ladies prefer and have.
meganlavonnesmommy 11:22 AM 03-05-2012
I agree, they are glorified bottles. But I refuse to deal with the mess from 7 kids spilling juice and milk on my floor.
In my house all the kids use the disposable straw cups with lids. Even the schoolagers. Cups are only allowed at the table when seated. They are not allowed to get up and walk around with them.
Yes, the kids can drink from a regular cup, but when you have 7 kids sitting at the table together, they get to screwing around, and inevitably, something gets spilled.
saved4always 11:26 AM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
I agree, they are glorified bottles. But I refuse to deal with the mess from 7 kids spilling juice and milk on my floor.
In my house all the kids use the disposable straw cups with lids. Even the schoolagers. Cups are only allowed at the table when seated. They are not allowed to get up and walk around with them.
Yes, the kids can drink from a regular cup, but when you have 7 kids sitting at the table together, they get to screwing around, and inevitably, something gets spilled.
This for me, too! I also only allow the sippy cups at the table. Even sippy cups drip liquid when carried upside down, thrown or dropped.
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 03-05-2012
I am old school all the way.

We don't use sippy cups at all.

When I am training a child, I will use the Tupperware cups with plastic lids but that is only until they understand how to tip the cup to drink.

Once they do that, they move on to a regular cup with no lid.
countrymom 11:34 AM 03-05-2012
I have sippys from tupperware and the new ones with the lids that take the straws, they are awesome, even my own children use the straw ones, if you pull the straw out it self seals. but its more for the under 2 crowd i'm asking about.
countrymom 11:35 AM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

When I am training a child, I will use the Tupperware cups with plastic lids but that is only until they understand how to tip the cup to drink.

I have those, they are great.
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I have sippys from tupperware and the new ones with the lids that take the straws, they are awesome, even my own children use the straw ones, if you pull the straw out it self seals. but its more for the under 2 crowd i'm asking about.
I am talking about kids under two as well.

ALL mine are trained to use a regular cup around 12-15 months. The longest I had a kid use a lid was until he was 15 months old.

Everyone else catches on pretty quick and are lid free shortly after their 1st birthday.

I guess I look at 2 year olds as being a lot older than most people do.
kathiemarie 11:37 AM 03-05-2012
Under 2 I use cups with lids. Around 2 I move to no lids. I have 2 DCK that have horible teeth and I think one of the reasons is becasue thier parents have them still use sippy cups (they are 4) at home.
Meyou 12:21 PM 03-05-2012

I use ones that are similar. But I'm not as good as Blackcat. I don't get them off the cup until 2ish. All they do is prevent a huge mess if they toss or tip the cup. They don't have a valve to create a need for suction when they drink. They just tip and go.
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I use ones that are similar. But I'm not as good as Blackcat. I don't get them off the cup until 2ish. All they do is prevent a huge mess if they toss or tip the cup. They don't have a valve to create a need for suction when they drink. They just tip and go.
I am sure you rock and the moving from a sippy to a regular cup is probably something that should be done closer to two than as young as I move them.

FWIW~ I do it that young because I am sooo not a baby person so I make my babies into toddlers as soon as possible for my own benefit.
MNMum 12:28 PM 03-05-2012
I am talking about kids under two as well.

ALL mine are trained to use a regular cup around 12-15 months. The longest I had a kid use a lid was until he was 15 months old.

Everyone else catches on pretty quick and are lid free shortly after their 1st birthday.

I guess I look at 2 year olds as being a lot older than most people do.
Blackcat any tips on getting a 16 mo old to use an open cup. This is a child who has some sensory issues. He freaks out and gags himself if I try to serve him something on a spoon and he is acting this same way with the open cup. I was just able to transition him to the sippy in the last month. If I put it on the table with him, he chucks it at me(and his mom). Mom wants to put him at the center across the street with his sister, but he can't bring the sippy with him.
Meyou 12:30 PM 03-05-2012
I am sure you rock and the moving from a sippy to a regular cup is probably something that should be done closer to two than as young as I move them.

FWIW~ I do it that young because I am sooo not a baby person so I make my babies into toddlers as soon as possible for my own benefit.
I was just teasing!!

I keep them with the spill proof cups until closer to 2 because table spills are one of my pet peeves. The spilling doesn't bother me but the whole, spill then sit and scream while it pours off the table into your lap while you get wetter and wetter and all the other kids yell about it all at the same time thing really drives me bonkers. Super duper bonkers. I would rather wait a couple more months and transition them when I know we'll have less spillage.
Blackcat31 12:46 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by MNMum:
Blackcat any tips on getting a 16 mo old to use an open cup. This is a child who has some sensory issues. He freaks out and gags himself if I try to serve him something on a spoon and he is acting this same way with the open cup. I was just able to transition him to the sippy in the last month. If I put it on the table with him, he chucks it at me(and his mom). Mom wants to put him at the center across the street with his sister, but he can't bring the sippy with him.
I use 5 oz Dixie cups so their little hands can manage them easily. I simply start off by putting only a swallow's worth in the cup and just add a little more until they can manage a full cup.

It takes some patience and I also need to be right there to say "nooooo" immediately when they begin to tip it over or mess around.

It really only takes a few meals/snacks before they figure it out.

I am also very no nonsense and will not hesitate to take the cup if they are just messing. ALL my kiddos know meal times are NOT time to mess around.
kidkair 12:46 PM 03-05-2012

Actually from the speech language pathologist's point of view it is totally awesome you get your kids to use real cups so early. Thus far I've moved mine at various ages. I give them practice with water outside during the warmer months and have had kids as young as 10 months on open cups and other kids need to wait until closer to 2. I use sippy cups and open cups at meal times and have a straw cup for water available all day inside and during the summer open cups of water outside. I'm not much of a baby person either and push them to toddlerhood as well. I'm all for them becoming as independent as possible as young as possible because they are way more fun that way.
DCMom 12:49 PM 03-05-2012
Blackcat

I am the same way. I have tumblemates (similar to tupperware) and start training them to sippy lids at about 9 months. They still have their bottles, but I offer the cups at mealtimes. They are usually using the sippy cups exclusively by 1 year or so. They have the sippy lids until they are out of the high chairs and sitting at the table. Once they master that, then we take the lids off.

They are only at the table and honestly, we rarely have a spill.
Heidi 01:04 PM 03-05-2012

I used to have those, but they don't make them anymore! Now I have the closest thing I could find at the dollar store for the youngest, and little china cups without lids for the older ones (espresso cups). I just moved my 18 mo's to open cups. Not too bad so far! I only put a tiny bit in the cup at a time, and use a gravy-seperator as a pitcher.

Next step-letting them pour their own milk...I think I'll wait until we can eat outside (the older ones already to do it, but not the under 2's).
littlemissmuffet 01:43 PM 03-05-2012
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
I could have posted this!
MrsB 02:16 PM 03-05-2012
For those under 18mos that haven't mastered the cup with no lid we use cups with straws. Then I use the dixie cups to train like BlackCat.

No walking around with sippys here! My belief, going from bottles to spouted sippys is like going from diapers to pullups!
sharlan 02:23 PM 03-05-2012
I'm lazy. All of my preschoolers have sippy cups. We use sippies during the day for juice or water and regular cups that I bought at IKEA for milk at meals.
renodeb 09:13 AM 03-06-2012
For the young ones still learning to drink I use the playtex double handled cups with the soft spout, then I go to the cups with no handles so they each get there own color. I hate the ones with straws b/c when they flip the straw open the liquid tends to splash out and I have found that they leak to.
Usually by the time there 3 or 3 1/2 I have them on a regular cup. My oldest dc boy is 3 1/2 and still spills sometimes!I kinda disagree with "pushing them" through infancy and kinda let them go through the adaptions on there own. My major goal is by a year they are off the bottle! (pet peeve of mine, having a 1 y/o still on a bottle) I usually start offering a sippy around 9 m/o at meals.
Debbie
youretooloud 09:15 AM 03-06-2012
Take and toss cups with straws only. Past 12 months, I won't allow any other cup. But, by two, they can't have the lid or the straw.
MrsB 09:27 AM 03-06-2012
Here's an article about the sippy cups that my daughters OT sent me...

http://children.webmd.com/news/20080...s-hello-straws
newtodaycare22 10:32 AM 03-06-2012
Not to high jack the thread but...

I only have 1 two year old (the rest 3-5). The 2 year old drinks fine out of a cup (the occasional spills just like my older kids) but my major problem was her dipping her hand, and sometimes food, in the cup. It made an unnecessarily mess, so I started putting the lid back on. I plan on switching her to regular cups at age 3 and hoping she's over that phase!
MrsB 10:39 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
Not to high jack the thread but...

I only have 1 two year old (the rest 3-5). The 2 year old drinks fine out of a cup (the occasional spills just like my older kids) but my major problem was her dipping her hand, and sometimes food, in the cup. It made an unnecessarily mess, so I started putting the lid back on. I plan on switching her to regular cups at age 3 and hoping she's over that phase!
I'm probably considered a big "meanie" I would take the drink away if she uses it for play. Meal times here are for consuming food and drink. No messing around here!
countrymom 11:03 AM 03-06-2012
I have one of these, and its perfect, its just enough for the littles to drink, but i need more cups, need to find where I can get more.

http://www.nicepak.com.au/Products/B...t_Tumbler.aspx
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
I'm probably considered a big "meanie" I would take the drink away if she uses it for play. Meal times here are for consuming food and drink. No messing around here!
I'm a meanie too because the first time that happened she would lose her cup immediately. I would try again at snack time and if she put her hand in her cup again, she would lose the cup again. Only have to this this once or twice (maybe three times for really stubborn kids) and they get the point.
newtodaycare22 11:18 AM 03-06-2012
I'm a meanie too because the first time that happened she would lose her cup immediately. I would try again at snack time and if she put her hand in her cup again, she would lose the cup again. Only have to this this once or twice (maybe three times for really stubborn kids) and they get the point.
I literally did this every day for the first week she was here. She landed up thirsty and moody. lol I decided it wasn't worth that struggle since shes obviously THAT stubborn. She was just 2 at that point, so maybe I'll try now that she's 2.5.
Blackcat31 11:19 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
I literally did this every day for the first week she was here. She landed up thirsty and moody. lol I decided it wasn't worth that struggle since shes obviously THAT stubborn. She was just 2 at that point, so maybe I'll try now that she's 2.5.
ugh, those ones are tough!

I have been lucky enough to have some quick learners then and haven't had to deal with anyone that stubborn since my own DS was in care.
Tags:sippy cup
Reply Up