Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Getting "Too Much" Exercise?
queenbee 07:35 AM 06-19-2012
This morning, a DCD said he saw on his daughter's daily report that we walked to the park yesterday morning. He said he didn't know I had any parks in my neighborhood.

I said: "We don't. We walk to park name." Park Name is a 25-30 minute walk and is the closest park to us.

He was SHOCKED that his daughter, who is almost 2.5yo, walked 1 hour twice, sometimes three days a week to the park.

"No wonder she sleeps for the whole nap here!" - was his reply comment.

This family has been with me almost a year and has always gotten reports about waking to the park. My kids only ride in the stroller until 18-20 months.

Since when is exercise a bad thing? We are a very active group and my kids in my daycare get a lot of exercise for their little bodies.

How exercise has changed over the years.
EchoMom 08:09 AM 06-19-2012
I take my toddlers on walks almost every day too. Our walks are 35 min which we did for a couple months starting at 20months (that's how young they were when they started with me). Now we also walk to the park which is not close but close enough to walk to. We do the same thing, it takes 45-60min each way to get to the park AND they play at the park! But they CAN do it and are FINE! The parents have never asked how far we're walking but I tell them on their note LONG walk.
BumbleBee 08:27 AM 06-19-2012
I was a nanny for a family with an 18 month old girl. We used to take a walk around the block every day. Since she was my only charge I let her set the pace. I always took the umbrella stroller just in case but she never sat in it, just pushed it. We did this for 3 months and never had an issue. Grandma found out (not that I was trying to hide it I just never saw her.) And flipped out. Crying and talking about her poor baby and how her legs must hurt so bad from being forced to walk that far. Grandma then tried to convince me to dope the kid up on motrin every day to "keep her legs from hurting."

Currently I have a prospective parent who is upset that we will be walking to the elementary school 2 times a day to drop off and pick up the school agers. The school is 4 short blocks away. The kid is 3.5 years old.

I don't get it. I really don't.
jojosmommy 08:33 AM 06-19-2012
I agree. I have a 2 yr old who will walk to and from the park everyday. 1 long block there and 1 long block back. One day she threw a nasty fit when we were leaving to go to the park (basically a 2 yr old tantrum). She tantrumed the whole way to the park and the whole way back, and for about 30 minutes when we got home. When I told dad that if she did that (unecessarry long fit for no reason) again she would need to be picked up he was shocked that I would "MAKE" his princess walk to the park in the first place. "Can't you put her in the wagon, so she doesn't have to walk that far?" NO

No wonder people are obese.
daycare 08:49 AM 06-19-2012
my reply would have been we can sit on the sofa and watch tv all day eating cookies if you prefer........

lol

I have has this complain in the past as well, I tell the parents well this is what we do, take it or leave it....
Meyou 09:04 AM 06-19-2012
I go over how active we are in the interview. I tell prospective clients that by the time they're 2-2.5 years they can walk several KM at a time with me and do regularly. Some people are surprised, some don't like it at all and some love it. I always have the wagon but once they start to walk they are out more than in.
AnneCordelia 09:05 AM 06-19-2012
I haven't had a parent complain about that yet! I am very forward about our outside time from the first interview. We do four miles a day on our school run and children who are 18mo+ get the opportunity to walk. We also hit a park a few times a week, and spend our afternoons in the back yard. It's good for them! I was always bone tired as a kid from days spent outside...
cheerfuldom 09:19 AM 06-19-2012
I have had a very few parents that have inquired about my daycare that were NOT okay with me taking a walk or even going in the backyard. weird....

but most parents I think are very pleased to know there child is being active, getting fresh air, having a healthy lifestyle from a very young age. I would never stop taking daily walks or outdoor time because I need that too! Our walk to the park is about 15 minutes.

I do have many parents that are shocked that I do not put 2 or 3 year olds in the strollers (many kids walk from 18 months on or even younger). I think that is more about parents thinking kids will run off or be wild if not restrained, but I have never had that happen once (knock on wood)
MizzCheryl 09:22 AM 06-19-2012
weel I am jealous. I wish we had places to walk in our area. No side walks and parks cannot be walked to safely. We have a nice backyard play ground but I would love to give my daycare kids a good 2 mile or so walk a day. I know when I walk daily I have so much more energy and my moods are better. This Dad is just being silly. You are doing something so good for his daughter.
Springdaze 09:25 AM 06-19-2012
I could see them being concerned about safety (not saying you arent safe) but not about the actual walking. We will be walking half a mile to my kids school and back at least 3 times a day if its not raining so MY kids can go to the playground program. Maybe Ill lose some weight!
Lilbutterflie 10:05 AM 06-19-2012
We live in a neighborhood that has multiple parks, each one being about a half mile away from our house! It's about a 20 minute walk each way to any one of the parks. I am upfront with parents that I LOVE to have the kids outdoors as much as possible & we go on 3-4 walks per week, and they have all been very happy that their child is active and getting fresh air each day! Thank goodness! I would be upset if any of the parents didn't want their child to walk to the park, they wouldn't fit in here at all!

I usually wait until the child is two before letting them walk on their own. I also would have to be sure they listen well and know our walking rules VERY WELL before I trust them to walk on their own. Our walking rules include:

1-Stay in front of me so I can see you
2-Stay with the group
3-Walk on the sidewalk- no grass and no street (of course)
4-Stop at any curbs & wait for me- we look both ways and cross the street together! All of the streets we cross are slow neighborhood streets with little traffic.
Hunni Bee 10:15 AM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
Crying and talking about her poor baby and how her legs must hurt so bad from being forced to walk that far. Grandma then tried to convince me to dope the kid up on motrin every day to "keep her legs from hurting".
Do people ever just stop and listen to themselves when they talk?

Originally Posted by Clueless:
weel I am jealous. I wish we had places to walk in our area. No side walks and parks cannot be walked to safely. We have a nice backyard play ground but I would love to give my daycare kids a good 2 mile or so walk a day. I know when I walk daily I have so much more energy and my moods are better. This Dad is just being silly. You are doing something so good for his daughter.
Im in the same boat. Were on a VERY busy cross-town street. We have a playground in walking distance, but we have to cross that street. Puts a damper on a lot of ideas I have.
Zoe 10:43 AM 06-19-2012
I lost a long term family because grandma heard that we walk to my daughter's school a mile away and back, with a stop at the playground in between. She thought it was too much for her little precious who would rather eat fruit roll-ups and chocolate milk from a bottle for breakfast at 3 years old, almost 4 and watch spongebob all day.

Grandma twisted dad's arm to get the kids to stay with her all summer and I doubt they'll be back. Honestly, I say good riddance. Not to the kids, they were wonderful and I'll really miss them. But I hated the passive aggressiveness from grandma who dropped them off. You could tell she didn't want her grandkids at daycare and when she heard we were going for walks that was the last straw.

Sorry that was a vent. Anyway! To the OP, there will be parents who might not consider doing the things that we do, but it's your business! I don't think the kids walking as much as your dcks do is too much. If you go at a nice pace for them, take breaks, give them water, don't push anyone who has a disability, etc you're good!
lil angels 10:49 AM 06-19-2012
So then turn around and ask the parents what they are doing to get the kid exercise at night if you shouldn't be doing it. That is crazy the more outside time the BETTER.
SilverSabre25 11:07 AM 06-19-2012
I don't know why, after almost 2 years on this site, some things still surprise me.

But, they do.

It's crrrazy and a good example of why there's such a health crisis in our country. (I'm not harping on obesity; you can be plenty unhealthy and have a perfect BMI or you can have an awful BMI and in all other areas come out pretty healthy).
MizzCheryl 11:12 AM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I don't know why, after almost 2 years on this site, some things still surprise me.

But, they do.

It's crrrazy and a good example of why there's such a health crisis in our country. (I'm not harping on obesity; you can be plenty unhealthy and have a perfect BMI or you can have an awful BMI and in all other areas come out pretty healthy).
Really! and think how you are improving those kids metabolism! I wish I could do walks everyday and my kids could use them. You are really doing these children a great service. If the parents don't like it then they don't deserve you!
EchoMom 11:16 AM 06-19-2012
Does anyone else have their kids walk with safety bands (child leashes?). When I walk, I push the double stroller and wear one one my back (9 month, 9 month, 6 month) and then the other 3 all walk with safety bands so they stay with me and don't go to slow or fast or wander off. And we take the dog too. People in the neighborhood think we are QUITE a sight!
DBug 11:24 AM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I go over how active we are in the interview. .
I do this too -- I make sure to let every family know that we spend alot of time outdoors, we visit various playgrounds, etc. but sure enough, after a couple of days with a new 12 mo dcg, dcm picked her up while we were in the backyard and said "Wow, you really do go outside! Dcg has never played outdoors before." .

Maybe she thought I was just making it all up during the interview .
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

But, they do.

I agree!

I saw this morning on Good Morning America that as a whole Americans make up 1/3 of the worlds weight yet we only account for 10% of the population!
Lilbutterflie 11:39 AM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
Does anyone else have their kids walk with safety bands (child leashes?). When I walk, I push the double stroller and wear one one my back (9 month, 9 month, 6 month) and then the other 3 all walk with safety bands so they stay with me and don't go to slow or fast or wander off. And we take the dog too. People in the neighborhood think we are QUITE a sight!
I have thought about getting a Hold-A-Ring Walking Rope to keep them with me and safe; but I really have never needed it. We go over our walking rules before every walk and I've never had one child be unsafe during our walks. But I have a smaller group; 3 dck's and 2 of my own.
countrymom 11:42 AM 06-19-2012
its not the parents its the kids that complain. I hate winter and I let parents know that once it starts to get to cold we don't go outside, but the minute it warms up we are outside. But I have never had so many kids who complain about going outside, heck going for a walk is like torture. So from feb to nov. we go for a walk for a half hour and then play for another hour almost every morning, you would think by now they would get use to it.

I can't believe how many literally cannot walk, but I've noticed that if I don't take them out then they don't go out at all. No wonder kids don't know how to play outside, they never go outside. Ok, we didn't go outside today, its an ozone action day, I have a child who needs a haircut and wouldn't last 5 min. outside because his hair is so long, he would die from sweating.
countrymom 11:44 AM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree!

I saw this morning on Good Morning America that as a whole Americans make up 1/3 of the worlds weight yet we only account for 10% of the population!
I love GMA and watch it every morning with my own kids while they get ready for school. They love play of the day, but today they missed the trash to treasure find, they love when lara finds stuff and remakes it.
Blackcat31 11:46 AM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
its not the parents its the kids that complain. I hate winter and I let parents know that once it starts to get to cold we don't go outside, but the minute it warms up we are outside. But I have never had so many kids who complain about going outside, heck going for a walk is like torture. So from feb to nov. we go for a walk for a half hour and then play for another hour almost every morning, you would think by now they would get use to it.

I can't believe how many literally cannot walk, but I've noticed that if I don't take them out then they don't go out at all. No wonder kids don't know how to play outside, they never go outside. Ok, we didn't go outside today, its an ozone action day, I have a child who needs a haircut and wouldn't last 5 min. outside because his hair is so long, he would die from sweating.
I used to have kids complain daily about not wanting to go outside and play. Since becoming a zero TV daycare two years ago, not.one.single.kid has complained about being outside.

My oldest DCK tells me all the time how mommy takes her for walks after dinner at night but only mommy walks, as she rides in the jogging stroller.

Wouldn't be so sad except she is almost 7 years old!
Lilbutterflie 11:49 AM 06-19-2012

I have one that was 4 when he started; and his mom admitted that when they go on walks she puts him in a stroller b/c he sometimes darts in the street. Can you imagine a big, tall 4 yr old in a stroller?

He has never once tried anything like darting in the street with me, but he sure did NOT want to walk the first couple months with me! He is still a little slow, and drags his feet sometimes, but he loves his walks to the park now!
queenbee 11:59 AM 06-19-2012
I knew you all would understand

This summer I have 6 school-agers (all siblings to a current dcks), and MAN are they the best complainers. I love to 'help them out' and get them on the right track during the first week of summer.

They say "I'm tired" --- We walk at a faster pace or break into a jog.
They say "My legs hurt" ---- We stop in place and bust out some jumping jacks.
They say "Are we almost there? Are we there yet? Can we be there yet?" --- We take an extra lap around the track.

Only takes a few days and voila! Hurting legs and tiredness are a thing of the past.

I love my school-agers this summer They encourage us to exercise even more.

Wonder what my DCD would say about this.........
AmyLeigh 12:11 PM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by queenbee:
I knew you all would understand

This summer I have 6 school-agers (all siblings to a current dcks), and MAN are they the best complainers. I love to 'help them out' and get them on the right track during the first week of summer.

They say "I'm tired" --- We walk at a faster pace or break into a jog.
They say "My legs hurt" ---- We stop in place and bust out some jumping jacks.
They say "Are we almost there? Are we there yet? Can we be there yet?" --- We take an extra lap around the track.

Only takes a few days and voila! Hurting legs and tiredness are a thing of the past.

I love my school-agers this summer They encourage us to exercise even more.

Wonder what my DCD would say about this.........

I think I will steal this!
Buxterboo 01:32 PM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Do people ever just stop and listen to themselves when they talk?
Im gonna have to say "NO" to this. lol
quailsgarden 01:38 PM 06-19-2012
I take my kids on a good walk almost every day. I start them early too. My youngest right now is 16 months and he can easily walk for 35 min. I always bring our wagon and we take our time. My group of kids (16 months, 2,3,4) love going on walks. I have used the wrist tote along type bands a few times. Mostly with 4 year old DCB. The other kids will all hold hands or hold on to the dogs leash.
daycare 02:48 PM 06-19-2012
I just did a 3 mile hike with 6 kids ages 24 months to 4.5 years old. WE had a blast and not one person complained the entire time......
they ate like bears when we were done and all of them passed out in the car on the way home....hahah got it love it.....
Snapdragon 03:06 PM 06-19-2012
Kudos to all of you who provide lots of exercise! I loved my elder daughter's daycare because she and the other kids spent a lot of time outside, running around and playing in sprinklers (in the summer). In an age where so many kids stay indoors and don't get a lot of outdoor time, it's refreshing to see that there are still many daycares that do provide much needed time outside.
3girls 10:53 AM 06-20-2012
This post totally made me cringe. Poor child...
SilverSabre25 11:07 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by 3girls:
This post totally made me cringe. Poor child...
Is that in reference to the parent's reaction or the provider's taking them on a long walk?
cheerfuldom 11:14 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by DBug:
I do this too -- I make sure to let every family know that we spend alot of time outdoors, we visit various playgrounds, etc. but sure enough, after a couple of days with a new 12 mo dcg, dcm picked her up while we were in the backyard and said "Wow, you really do go outside! Dcg has never played outdoors before." .

Maybe she thought I was just making it all up during the interview .

I know! this is so sad. I have one little one here whose mom told me that she had never been in their backyard before and never been to the park. She was well over 2 at this point.
MsMe 12:14 PM 06-20-2012
We walk everyday!!! I take a double stroller and a Lakeshore walking rope and all 9 of us trek around town!! We visit five or so different parks, library, or the pool (on low days )

Today was a birthday day so we had on crowns and party blowers!! I bet everyone in town heard us today

ALL of my families love our activity level....I would def pick our walks over any DCF if they had a problem with it. I am such a better provider when we can get out and run off some energy everyday!!
EntropyControlSpecialist 12:24 PM 06-20-2012
You can SEE the two parks we visit daily from our tables.

I had two parents say that their child would get too tired from walking that distance (5 minute walk) and inquired what I planned to do about that.
I had to let them know that I plan to walk with my 12 to the park, because it's good for them.
Tags:exercise, exercise - too much
Reply Up