Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 Year Old Girl Refusing To Be Quiet At Nap
sahm2three 02:20 PM 10-02-2012
She screams and screams and screams and I don't know what to do with her. And it only happens after spending a weekend with her grandparents. She woke up the babies today, that desperately needed sleep. So, when everyone is up after nap, what do I do? Carry on like nothing happened? Or does she deserve to have some fun things taken away? She acts like she gets some sort of thrill out of having the control she takes at nap time. She smirks when she finds she has woken someone up. 9 times out of 10, she does fine at nap. It is that 1 time that is a nightmare. I don't know what to do. She can be such a good kid, but seems to want to take control at nap time, and it always happens on a day following having grandparents spend the weekend. Her morning went so smoothly, that I didn't think we were going to have an issue. Ugh. I am telling you, if it isn't one thing it is another. My 7 month old and 1 year old screamed non stop all morning because they both wanted to be held. They are both enormous kids, so holding them is not an option all the time. My back is killing me. Anyways, went off there, but what would you use as your learning tool for her to show her that I am in charge, not her?
Country Kids 02:26 PM 10-02-2012
I had one like that. Happened twice after spending time with grandparents. I told the parents that I noticed the behavior only and only after spending time with grandparents.

Still have the child and I never hear anymore about spending the night at the grandparents.
daycare 02:41 PM 10-02-2012
I would just chalk it up to a bad day for everyone and just let the parents know. We can't force anyone to sleep. But we can remove them from the sleeping area and make peace for the others or at least try.

I would never want to take a child away time from family, especially grandparents. My older two do not have any grandparents close by and I would love for them to have some that they could visit when they wanted.
Country Kids 02:48 PM 10-02-2012
This only happened to this child when they went to the grandparents. The child came back a different child and was beyond out of control.

Spit on me, hit me, kicked me, ran from me, pulled my hair, laughed at me, would not lay still (rolled around the entire floor) screamed at the top of their lungs, climbed furniture. I had someone here that witnessed the whole thing luckily.

The parents were horrified and worked 100% with me on it. Like I said after doing this twice with the child I haven't heard of them staying with the grandparents anymore.
daycare 02:52 PM 10-02-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
This only happened to this child when they went to the grandparents. The child came back a different child and was beyond out of control.

Spit on me, hit me, kicked me, ran from me, pulled my hair, laughed at me, would not lay still (rolled around the entire floor) screamed at the top of their lungs, climbed furniture. I had someone here that witnessed the whole thing luckily.

The parents were horrified and worked 100% with me on it. Like I said after doing this twice with the child I haven't heard of them staying with the grandparents anymore.
HOly cow what did the grandparents do give them mountain dew and sugar sticks??
Country Kids 03:02 PM 10-02-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
HOly cow what did the grandparents do give them mountain dew and sugar sticks??
I have no idea but it was over the top. I was sooooooo glad I had someone here to witness it.

That was the first time I ever,ever called a parent at work about their child. They knew I was serious and are awesome parents that worked with me on it. Not saying child is perfect but has never ever tried anything like that again with me.
sahm2three 07:20 PM 10-02-2012
The issue, per mom, with the grandparent visits is that the child is NEVER told "no" when they are around. She gets anything she asks for, has no rules, and no schedule. The dcdad won't let mom step in, so when they are around she doesn't get to be the parent any more. These grandparents are not doing this child any favors. I hope tomorrow is better.
daycare 07:23 PM 10-02-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
The issue, per mom, with the grandparent visits is that the child is NEVER told "no" when they are around. She gets anything she asks for, has no rules, and no schedule. The dcdad won't let mom step in, so when they are around she doesn't get to be the parent any more. These grandparents are not doing this child any favors. I hope tomorrow is better.
but isn't that what grandparents are supposed to do??
sahm2three 09:44 AM 10-03-2012
She has already informed me that she will scream and not let anyone sleep again today. So, I am at this moment rearranging my sleeping area so that she is free to do that. I am so tired of all of this crap. Kids are awful today!
littlemissmuffet 10:04 AM 10-03-2012
I HATE finding out my DCKs have been with a grandparent. Without fail every single time one of my kiddos is off with a grandparent they come back complete terrors!!

If a child is not napping/misbehaving on occasion, I do one of two things... I carry on and chalk it up as a one-off situation and once nap is over, the child can have quiet time reading or coloring while the other children work on a different project with me; or I call home and require the child be picked up.

If it's a situation that is occuring continually, I will terminate. I don't deal with kids who don't nap regularily.
littlemissmuffet 10:05 AM 10-03-2012
No. Giving a child a treat, letting them stay up a little later than usual, letting a child watch a little more television... fine. But nenver saying no to a child is not something ANY adult is "supposed to do". I cannot stand people who spoil children and then wonder what is wrong with them...!!!!!!!!
canadiancare 10:07 AM 10-03-2012
1 have 2 kids who share a spot (one 3 days a week one 2 days a week) guess where they go on alternate days?

One of them is getting progressively worse. I can tell grampa is teaching him some behaviours that might seem cute but are the things that make them the annoying kid.

for example leaning into someone who is eating and going yum, yum and super fake licking your lips when you have finished your own snack.
sahm2three 12:51 PM 10-03-2012
NO! They are supposed to love them to pieces and snuggle them. But they are NOT supposed to over rule the parents! They favor the girl and hardly pay attention to the little brother. She can hit him and bite him and it is ok because he MUST have done something to provoke her. Pop right before bed? Sure thing. You don't want to nap, then you don't have to! You don't want to say please and thank you, that is ok too. No, those are NOT things that grandparents are supposed to do!
sahm2three 12:54 PM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
No. Giving a child a treat, letting them stay up a little later than usual, letting a child watch a little more television... fine. But nenver saying no to a child is not something ANY adult is "supposed to do". I cannot stand people who spoil children and then wonder what is wrong with them...!!!!!!!!
This EXACTLY! The world doesn't work like that. So giving in to everything they want only teaches them that the world revolves around them and that they are entitled to anything they want. Believe me, I am dealing with the aftermath right now! She has screamed and once again woke the other kids up. Babies are screaming because they are exhausted and the screaming seems to be catchy. I am about to go out to my garage and scream myself!
daycare 12:59 PM 10-03-2012
I was being sarcastic....BUT when my parents come out here, they spoil my kids rotten and I let them.

My parents tell them no only if they are going to do something that may hurt somone or themselves.

My dad taught my older son how to blow spitwads (sorry I don't know the name very well. But when you blow paper through a straw) Of course I was not to happy, but my parents get to see my kids maybe once a year if they are lucky.

I have to deal with it and yeah I will admit it drives me up a wall after they leave, but it's once a year. It's not like it's even every month...........
daycare 01:00 PM 10-03-2012
I was being sarcastic....BUT when my parents come out here, they spoil my kids rotten and I let them.

My parents tell them no only if they are going to do something that may hurt somone or themselves.

My dad taught my older son how to blow spitwads (sorry I don't know the name very well. But when you blow paper through a straw) Of course I was not to happy, but my parents get to see my kids maybe once a year if they are lucky.

I have to deal with it and yeah I will admit it drives me up a wall after they leave, but it's once a year. It's not like it's even every month...........
oh and let me say, my mom says she does it because it's my pay back.....hahahhahaha
sahm2three 01:01 PM 10-03-2012

These grandparents see this dcg at least every other weekend, if not more. And I can always tell when they have been here because she is a nightmare.
daycare 01:08 PM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
These grandparents see this dcg at least every other weekend, if not more. And I can always tell when they have been here because she is a nightmare.
maybe next time she is acting like this you should video it and sent it to them so they can see what they create....
littlemissmuffet 05:51 PM 10-03-2012
maybe next time she is acting like this you should video it and sent it to them so they can see what they create....
They would probably think it's cute

Look, I know all about spoiling kids. When my neices and nephews come for sleepovers they stay up late, they get to be as little more wild than usual, they even get icecream for breakfast! But, there are still rules and they are still required to listen to me and if I say "NO" (and I often do, it's my favorite word!) I mean business! As with everything in life, balance in key...
Some people just never get that. This particular kid's Gparents seem to be teh type
Reply Up