Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Calling Parents at Work
Live and Learn 04:23 PM 10-26-2010
In previous threads providers have mentioned calling parents at work for diapers, chothes, pacifiers. I only call parents at work if the child is sick and needs to go home...just wondering...what about the rest of you? Do you call parents at work for anything besides illness?
daysofelijah 04:25 PM 10-26-2010
The only thing I call about is injury or illness. I just put a note in the bag if they need something. I have extra diapers and clothes that I use if they forget. I sent a 2 yo boy home in a fairy pink pull-up today. Hopefully they will remember diapers tomorrow.
tmcp2001 04:36 PM 10-26-2010
I also only call parents at work for an illness or injury. For less important things I either text, email and/or mention it at drop off or pickup. I know not everyone uses text or email but they work for a lot of my families - plus, there's always a trail of who said what! Hopefully I won't ever need it, but it's there if I do!
SilverSabre25 05:39 PM 10-26-2010
I avoid calling because I hate talking on the phone, so I love it when there's a parent who I know is online most of the day! One parent is on gmail just like me, so I know when she's on and I can Gmail-chat her quick questions thorughout the day, give her quick updates, or like today, email her to let her know that DCB was having an odd, off, fussy kind of a day and we discussed what to do about it. If there's a serious issue (injury, illness) I will call the parent at work, but I really, REALLY hate the phone.
kendallina 05:45 PM 10-26-2010
I only call to work about illness, injury.
juliebug 05:56 PM 10-26-2010
mostly illness and injury, but did call one time when i only had one child and we could go to the waterpark for free! for a few hours. mom said sure and we had sooo soo much fun!
MyAngels 08:15 PM 10-26-2010
I only call for illness or injury. I keep extra diapers, pacifiers, baby food, formula, clothing, etc. on hand in case they are needed.
DanceMom 05:12 AM 10-27-2010
I usually always email - I hate the phone so I would rather communicate via email.

I'll remind them of upcoming days off, if their kid had a blow out and to just be on alert if another one happens , illness, injury , items needed.

I try to never ever call them unless its an emergency.
kidkair 05:18 AM 10-27-2010
I only call in emergency or illness or if their child is acting very odd and I cannot figure out why. Like one day an normal very happy kid was whinny and crabby but not ill or teething that I could tell. I called the mom and she had no idea either but gave me the okay to give her some meds for pain in case it was her teeth. We figured out later that it was probably growing pains in her legs and arms.
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 10-27-2010
I call for accident and illness. I called a mom the other day at her work because she carried her 3 yr old in and forgot her shoes so we couldn't go outside. I've also called because they forgot a necessary item such as swim suits for swim lessons or book mobile books that were forgotten. Usually items are left in car and dcp runs them over.
DBug 09:02 AM 10-27-2010
Yep, only for illness or injury. I hate using the phone during hours because the second I pick up the phone, one toddler will whack another toddler -- never fails . I usually don't answer the phone either, I let the machine pick up. If it's a parent that needs a call back, I'll wait til we're outside or it's nap time.
marniewon 11:23 AM 10-27-2010
I don't call except for illness/emergency. All my parents have cell phones with texting capability, so I would prefer to text if I just had a question. That way they can get back to me when they have a free moment, instead of me calling and interrupting their work.
DCMomOf3 11:26 AM 10-27-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I only call for illness or injury. I keep extra diapers, pacifiers, baby food, formula, clothing, etc. on hand in case they are needed.
Same here.
Tags:contact information, emergency contact
Reply Up