Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Book Solutions???
3kidzmama 08:44 PM 12-12-2011
My daycare kids are sooooo destructive. They are ruining all of my books!!! They tear them, even the board books. Ugh.

If it were my choice, I would simply put all books out of their reach and only allow them to have them under direct supervision with close proximity. The problem with this is that with my licensing (I am a center, not a home)
I am required to provide unlimited access to the books.

I am racking my brain trying to figure out a way to provide books where the kids can't tear them the second I turn my back.

I've thought of taking a soft cover book apart and laminating it, then staple it back together. Other than that, I'm stumped. Any other ideas?
Michael 09:20 PM 12-12-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...arenting+books

https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/the-...in-daycare.htm
queenbee 09:21 PM 12-12-2011
Go to the Dollar Tree and purchase a bunch of infant bath books. The kids can't rip or destroy them in any way - they can even chew on them and bend them and they are in still perfect condition.

Replace all of your "big kid" books with the baby bath books and give them all the access they want! The baby bath books get old. Quickly. And the 4 pages of the book get boring, too.

Give them a week with the baby books and try again with the "big kid" books the following Monday. If the destroying happens again, go back to the baby books for 2 weeks. And so on and so on and so on.........

I've once had a child whose parents thought it was funny () to watch their child rip a book. "Look how strong!" This child was on a "big kid" book ban for 1 month.

I've never had him rip a book again, and his parents paid for the intial book he ripped during his first week. Intentional destruction maddens me!
Meyou 03:04 AM 12-13-2011
Books are precious things here and I teach the kids to respect them. What queenbee suggested is great and pretty much what I do.
3kidzmama 04:52 AM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by queenbee:
Go to the Dollar Tree and purchase a bunch of infant bath books. The kids can't rip or destroy them in any way - they can even chew on them and bend them and they are in still perfect condition.

Replace all of your "big kid" books with the baby bath books and give them all the access they want! The baby bath books get old. Quickly. And the 4 pages of the book get boring, too.

Give them a week with the baby books and try again with the "big kid" books the following Monday. If the destroying happens again, go back to the baby books for 2 weeks. And so on and so on and so on.........

I've once had a child whose parents thought it was funny () to watch their child rip a book. "Look how strong!" This child was on a "big kid" book ban for 1 month.

I've never had him rip a book again, and his parents paid for the intial book he ripped during his first week. Intentional destruction maddens me!
I'm so doing this! I didn't even think of the plastic bath books! Thank you!
melskids 05:02 AM 12-13-2011
Any books I leave out for free accessibility come from donations or cheap at yard sales (.10 -.25 cents each), so although, as a book lover, it still breaks my heart when they rip them (especially on purpose) its not that big of a monatary loss.

I have also laminated books, and made homemade ones as well.

Any of my "special" books only come out at group time, when I read them, or with direct supervision with kiddos I trust.

We also have a "book hospital". Its just a tub full of tape, string, a stapler, etc.

When a child purposely destroys a book, they must take the time (and responsibility) to fix it (to the best of their ability, and with my help).

The kids actaully get pretty excited over fixing it, when they find a torn page. (the ones torn accidentally) They love to "make the book all better". ...lol
Tags:destructive, destructive behavior, parenting books
Reply Up