Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thank You Backbone
queenbee 12:53 PM 10-04-2012
I have a part-time sibling set in care, 2 and 3 years old. Mother helps run a local church and father works at an office. These parents NEVER communicate with each other so I have to relay news to both each day or I'd never get diapers, wipes, extra clothes, shoes (I know ), supplies and any news I have to report.

Two weeks ago I implemented a 9am cut-off time for drop-offs, and any children not in care at that time will forfeit their spot that day. We start our preschool at that time and I don't want to be interrupted by the door. Twice a week either parent has come in 5 - 15 minutes after 9am and after sending text reminders, face-to-face reminding, emailing, noting on daily reports that we start at 9am - I finally had enough this morning.

At five minutes before 9am, I loaded the kids onto the walk-o-dile and babies got into the choo-choo wagon and we took off for a walk at exactly 9am. At 9:25am, I received a text from the DCD saying he was here to drop off the kids and nobody was answering the door. I text back "I'm sorry, John, but our day starts at 9am and we are already out on a walk. To be eligible for care, children need to be in attendance before 9am each morning. We will see you guys tomorrow."

He text back, "Fine".

I don't know how much more obvious I can get. I'm going to invest in a banner that goes across my front door saying "NO DROP OFFS AFTER 9AM! YES, THIS APPLIES TO YOU H***XX FAMILY."

Next step will be termination if we have another drop-off after 9am and they will get a sweet email stating this.
Zoe 01:01 PM 10-04-2012
I think that you did the right thing. If your day has that set schedule and you've told the family on numerous occasions and they STILL came after 9, then teaching them a lesson is exactly what needed to happen. If they pulled that stuff at work they'd be written up or fired, so what difference is it if they pull it at your business? Good for you!
daycarediva 01:31 PM 10-04-2012
I honestly think that most parents are oblivious to the amount of inconvenience it is to have late drop offs and really early/unexpected pick ups.

Maybe if you tell them that when they drop off after 9am, it causes x, y & z. I sent a text to a Mom today saying "We are leaving for our walk, be back around 10, see you then!" after the 100x of telling her that we.leave.at.9. I really don't understand how some people still have jobs! If *I* was 20-30 minutes late opening 3x a week I wouldn't have any clients.
cheerfuldom 01:39 PM 10-04-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I honestly think that most parents are oblivious to the amount of inconvenience it is to have late drop offs and really early/unexpected pick ups.

Maybe if you tell them that when they drop off after 9am, it causes x, y & z. I sent a text to a Mom today saying "We are leaving for our walk, be back around 10, see you then!" after the 100x of telling her that we.leave.at.9. I really don't understand how some people still have jobs! If *I* was 20-30 minutes late opening 3x a week I wouldn't have any clients.
I have had parents running late ALL the time....not necessarily to daycare but definitely to work. How do they keep their jobs???
Country Kids 01:42 PM 10-04-2012
Thats what I wonder-how do they keep their jobs. Also, what in the world will they do when these kids get to school? The school isn't going to wait to start and to many tardies is a call to the district office who steps in I believe.
MizzCheryl 06:20 PM 10-04-2012
I have one that comes in late once or twice a week. They want to stand there and talk or try to watch circle time and it completly ruins everything. I just give up and stop reading or what ever we are doing cause the whole thing is a bust. I HATE IT!!!!
It looks like they would realize that they just upset the whole routine.
But they do not care!
saved4always 02:14 PM 10-05-2012
I have one dck who is dropped off late in the morning most days. I feel bad for this child because we do most of our activities for the day in the morning and this child misses most of them. This child is often just with us for lunch and nap.
Reply Up