Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Handle 2 Spirited 2 Year Olds?
mizmelzy 07:34 AM 03-03-2013
I have 2 - 2year olds in the 2's room who litterally go bananas when I'm in the room. They run around, climb on tables and cot stacks. They run around and throw toys. I am firm with them and tell them no and put them in a chair or sit them down with a book. I redirect them firmly over and over. But they keep doing it. Then the other two 2 year olds in the room will do what the others are doing. It literally becomes a zoo. If you've seen daddy daycare when the kids are wild, it looks something like that! No joke. I have to get the director or assistant director to help. They do this with one other teacher. But the rest they seem to listen to. They don't yell. All they simply says is "that is enough" in a firm voice, and they stop and obey. If I say it, they laugh at me and keep running around. I ask them what they are doing, and they are doing nothing that I am not already doing. I do not want to yell at them, but not sure what else to do. They get worse every time, and it's only the two who set off the other kids. I've tried soothing music (no affect), I tried singing a song that they all know (no affect). I'm at my whits end. Don't know what else to do.

Is there something I can do? I'm afriad to go into that room because it becomes insane as soon as I walk in the room, and their teacher leaves. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Mel
Angelsj 10:33 AM 03-03-2013
First, you need to develop a good "stinkeye" or mom voice. You need to get in control.

Secondly, if they are acting that way, they are telling you they need activity. Two year olds need to MOVE a lot. If you can't control when to take them outside, try creating an indoor active space. Crawl around things, jump over things, march, dance, jump...get active.
You need to vary things throughout the day...active, then quiet, active, then quiet. You will have much better luck getting them to listen if you meet their needs.
Starburst 01:00 PM 03-03-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
First, you need to develop a good "stinkeye" or mom voice.
Lol if I know their middle name then I call them by there full first and middle name in a firm but non threatening voice.

Examples:
PJ - 'Paul Joseph, come here please.'
GiGi- 'Giavonna Marie, walk please.'

also have 'daycare rules' like:
Listening ears
Kind words
Gentle hands (or helping hands)
Walking feet

(keep it to 5 or less rules)
Play Care 03:30 AM 03-04-2013
I agree that you need to give them plenty of opportunities to move. BUT sometimes I find that kids have a hard time switching gears on their own. I had an issue with my kids, so I would get them outside and we would be out for over an hour (and why is that kids are bouncing off the walls inside but as soon as we get outside they want to SIT and play with the sand table?! ) In any event we would come in from a long outdoor play session and they would still be off the walls. So I started getting them in and having them sit at the table for some provider led quiet activities to help them calm down. Puzzles, books, journaling (all my kids get their own notebooks - the 2's love "writing" in their journals like the "big" kids) sorting, coloring, etc. I am sitting with them (this is not the time for me to be preparing lunch, or paperwork because they would take that to mean they could get down...) I will set a timer and only after the timer goes off can we move to another activity. I find they need to sit for about 15-20 minutes, or they get down and are still crazy. If they ask to get down I redirect them to another table activity or tell them "this is what we are doing now, when the timer goes off we can move on." Because you know the kids who are asking are the worst offenders
mizmelzy 04:29 PM 03-06-2013
Thanks for the advice. Usually when I come in the room it's just after snack, and I want to get them outside to play right away. Getting them to get in line to wash hands or get their gear on just is chaos. I have tried giving them the "stink eye". I usually use it on other kids and I get frowny faces or tears sometimes. But these 2 two year olds it's like they see me, and it's free reign to do what they want. I give them my best "stink eye" and they laugh and run around. Which takes me more time to get them outside. I've tried letting them play in centers and getting one ready at a time. But then usually one is getting too hot or bored. I've tried putting music on that's soothing and soft. I've tried music they can dance to (which just makes it worse)They get antsy and it starts chaos all over again. Normally I can handle two year olds. But the two that are in that room should not be near each other because they both feed off each other. Unfortunately, they are both 2 and are in that room.

The room is a small one and I'm not exactly sure what the teacher does with them inside during the day, but I know she tries to keep them active inside in between doing other activities. I've tried using all the tricks I know to try to get them in line. But most times I have only an hour in there, and that whole hour I feel like I'm trying to wrangle a heard of buffalo in. Never had an issue like this one. Usually I do well with 2's and have not had any problems. But with the new 2 - two year olds in there, they can be a handfull and then some.

Melissa
Play Care 04:35 AM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by mizmelzy:
Thanks for the advice. Usually when I come in the room it's just after snack, and I want to get them outside to play right away. Getting them to get in line to wash hands or get their gear on just is chaos. I have tried giving them the "stink eye". I usually use it on other kids and I get frowny faces or tears sometimes. But these 2 two year olds it's like they see me, and it's free reign to do what they want. I give them my best "stink eye" and they laugh and run around. Which takes me more time to get them outside. I've tried letting them play in centers and getting one ready at a time. But then usually one is getting too hot or bored. I've tried putting music on that's soothing and soft. I've tried music they can dance to (which just makes it worse)They get antsy and it starts chaos all over again. Normally I can handle two year olds. But the two that are in that room should not be near each other because they both feed off each other. Unfortunately, they are both 2 and are in that room.

The room is a small one and I'm not exactly sure what the teacher does with them inside during the day, but I know she tries to keep them active inside in between doing other activities. I've tried using all the tricks I know to try to get them in line. But most times I have only an hour in there, and that whole hour I feel like I'm trying to wrangle a heard of buffalo in. Never had an issue like this one. Usually I do well with 2's and have not had any problems. But with the new 2 - two year olds in there, they can be a handfull and then some.

Melissa
Huh. Can you have all the kids sit and wash say two by two? That way you can separate the two kids? I am assuming they are older 2's? So the kids who wash up first maybe should be the ones who are capable of putting most of their gear (shoes/boots and costs) with no assistance?
Reply Up