Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sticky Situation
Unregistered 06:57 AM 03-06-2015
I have a situation where I have three dck moving on to kindergarten in the fall. Two will be leaving at the end of this school year(June) and the other will be gone in September. I also have three one year olds. The 13 month old is the famiy's last child. The 17 month old's family is expecting in the summer. I would like to fill my second infant opening in October. My concern is that if I fill that spot and the other one year olds family comes to me and tells me they are expecting, I wouldn't have an opening for that child and then I would loose the current child. What have others of you done in this situation? I have never run into this situation before. I feel like it would be inappropriate to ask them about their family plan. Plus I have only had this family since September. This dck will be two in June. Any advice on how to approach this situation would be greatly appreciated!
Annalee 07:17 AM 03-06-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a situation where I have three dck moving on to kindergarten in the fall. Two will be leaving at the end of this school year(June) and the other will be gone in September. I also have three one year olds. The 13 month old is the famiy's last child. The 17 month old's family is expecting in the summer. I would like to fill my second infant opening in October. My concern is that if I fill that spot and the other one year olds family comes to me and tells me they are expecting, I wouldn't have an opening for that child and then I would loose the current child. What have others of you done in this situation? I have never run into this situation before. I feel like it would be inappropriate to ask them about their family plan. Plus I have only had this family since September. This dck will be two in June. Any advice on how to approach this situation would be greatly appreciated!
I would not worry about what might happen and simply deal with the "now".
Gemma 07:56 AM 03-06-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My concern is that if I fill that spot and the other one year olds family comes to me and tells me they are expecting, I wouldn't have an opening for that child and then I would loose the current child. !
If I liked the family enough, I would talk to DKM and explain the situation asking if there was a chance she might need another spot in the near future and I would consider leaving one opening vacant for a while....otherwise I would just fill the spot whenever I got the chance.

...no matter how you play it though, there's no sure thing for the future, things happen, families move on.
Controlled Chaos 08:45 AM 03-06-2015
Never hold a spot for a theoretical child.
Play Care 09:11 AM 03-06-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:

Josiegirl 10:14 AM 03-06-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I would not worry about what might happen and simply deal with the "now".
Wise advice.....
I, at the moment, have 2 dcms that are pregnant(1 is about 4-5 months pregnant, 1 just told me this a.m., they found out last night). I have not committed to either one of them because I also have a dcf whose 3 1/2 yo comes pt and wants me to take their twins 4 days a week when school starts in the fall. I told her yes this a.m. Her twins will be about 13-14 months by then.
When it rains, it pours.

But yes, deal with the now because anything can happen in the future. Look out for you and your business.
Unregistered 10:21 AM 03-06-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Yep, never! I've screwed myself over before expecting thins to happen. I look out for the here and now, for me and my family.
Unregistered 11:13 AM 03-06-2015
Thanks for all of the advice! I guess I've just been really lucky the last several years with my current families timing of their additions
Thriftylady 01:56 PM 03-06-2015
I wouldn't hold a spot for a child that isn't in the pipes yet. Wait that didn't sound right did it?
Reply Up