Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Moving Daycare in CA
organicdclady 12:17 PM 07-08-2015
Hi everyone, I just got word from my landlord that once my lease is over in September I have to move. He had just guaranteed me less than a month ago that we would be able to extend it. I am so bummed, confused, sad, mad, a million things. But I need to make a plan, and fast. My question is; has anyone with a home daycare in CA (specifically LA County) dealt with moving? What is the process like? How long should I expect to be closed before I can reopen in the new place?
ANY information would be helpful.
Thanks all!
MarinaVanessa 02:24 PM 07-08-2015
I'm not in LA County but I'm close by in Ventura County and it should be the same process.

You'll need to notify licensing that you're moving and give them the new address and your move date. They'll tell you what to do and what forms you'll need. It's pretty much just like re-applying all over again.

I've heard that it's easier if you can overlap a lease by a week or two and move your personal belongings to the new place first while keeping your daycare stuff at the current place. Get your new place all child-proofed and ready to go before you open there and then set your last day to be at your current residence to fall on a Friday and move your daycare stuff over to the new place over a weekend and reopen on a Monday. Try your best to schedule your walk through with licensing before or on the day that you open at your new place.

Your current license will end and they will re-issue you a new license with a new facility number once you pass the walk-through inspection. It's almost impossible for you to get everything lined up perfectly to work out this way and most of the time providers end up moving to their new place and working "without a license" for a few days/weeks until they can get an inspection done. Talk it over with YOUR assigned analyst and usually they can work with you and won't cite you for being at the new place without a "valid" license. Just be absolutely sure that you child-proofed everything and have everything up to date.

That includes all forms. Especially anything that licensing requires. Make sure that the forms have the new address on them. You'll probably also want to have your clients sign new contracts with your new address.

If you're a large daycare then the process is a lot harder and will take longer . You'll have to make sure that you don't move into a house that's too close to another large daycare and get your Fire Marshall inspection before you turn in your application. Then you re-apply and coordinate everything above. If you have a good relationship and stay in communication with your analyst they should be able to work with you while you move
daycare 02:27 PM 07-08-2015
I did this last year.....long story.

you are welcome to call me if you need help..

PM if you want to talk
Reply Up