Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do?
jane_doe_17 01:00 PM 08-12-2010
I have been working in a fairly large center for two years. There is a teacher that I feel is emotionally abusive to the kids. She constantly belittles the kids, calls them stupid and imposes arbitrary punishments that are completely out of proportion to the offense. In her class, discipline is about punishment, not teaching. Numerous parents have complained, but the teacher is great with curriculum and has a spotless attendance record, so the director does not want to replace her. I try to ignore her and give the kids in her class extra love when I have the chance.

Today I was in her classroom and a little boy lied about throwing a toy. As punishment, she told him he would have to eat "dirt." for lying. She then proceeded to make him eat a half a spoonful of cocoa. He was sobbing a crying so hard that he was retching before he even took the spoon. There was no thought of refusing because the kids are terrified of her. It was al I could do not to cry myself. I think this is abusive, but given that other employees and parents have already complained about this teacher's tactics, I'm not sure taking my concerns to the director would change anything.

I don't want to leave my job. I live in a small town and opportunities are few, and I love my kids! I couldn't stand to think of leaving them, but I don't know what to do. I thought of calling our state licensing agency and filing an anonymous complaint. Any suggestions?
Crystal 02:03 PM 08-12-2010
First of all, I would have intervened, and very purposefully made this teacher feel like a heel when I did so. Since it's too late for that, I would contact child care licensing immediatley and register a formal complaint. I would follow up by sending licensing a letter, explaining in detail EVERY incident that you have observed.

I also would not care if they knew I was the one who reported it. By law, they cannot retaliate against you.
Michael 04:25 PM 08-12-2010
Child Care Licensing Agency
Arkansas Department of Human Services
Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education
Child Care Licensing Unit
P.O. Box 1437, Slot S-150
Little Rock, AR 72203-1437
Phone: (501) 682-8590
Toll Free: (800) 445-3316
Fax: (501) 682-2317
emosks 04:40 PM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by Michael:
Child Care Licensing Agency
Arkansas Department of Human Services
Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education
Child Care Licensing Unit
P.O. Box 1437, Slot S-150
Little Rock, AR 72203-1437
Phone: (501) 682-8590
Toll Free: (800) 445-3316
Fax: (501) 682-2317
Um, yeah. Contact them ASAP. I could never imagine treating a child like that.
missnikki 06:50 AM 08-13-2010
Stick up for the little guy.

Next time it happens, leave the room. Do not be an audience. March into your director's office and have a chat as it's happening. As a director myself, I would only hope that is the level of integrity that my staff brings everyday. (not the 'dirt' lady, of course. YKWIM)
MommyMuffin 07:39 AM 08-13-2010
I would keep a detailed log of what happens, time date which child, exact words spoken..all of it.
Lilbutterflie 08:27 AM 08-13-2010
Yes, what MommyMuffin said. Keep a log of every incident. I'd file a complaint with the licensing agency NOW. Take the log to your director and voice your concerns. It is possible that the director has not really been given the details he/she needs to assess the situation.
Unregistered 08:50 AM 08-13-2010
Call licensing now! This is so not right! If the Director will not do anything, then you need to as a mandated reporter. Do not let these children take any more abuse!
Unregistered 10:05 AM 08-13-2010
That is CHILD ABUSE!!!!!! Report the S.O.B immediately! She has no business ever punishing a child in that way no matter what the offense...if that was MY child, she'd be doing more than eating a half teaspoon of cocoa...it would be REAL dirt and it would be a lot more than that...she needs to be tarred and feathered and run out of town!
Aya477 12:12 PM 08-13-2010
I agree with the other posters that say you need to report immediately. Also, if you feel the director has been notified of the incidents and still continues to turn her head, you need to escalate that as well.

As a parent, I would want to know and have a right to know if things of this nature were being said/done to my child. Someone needs to inform the parent.
alyssyn 05:18 PM 08-13-2010
By all means, report immediately!!
Tags:abuse, complain
Reply Up