Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many oz Milk?
mamamanda 06:51 AM 02-22-2018
How many ounces of milk do your 6mo drink on average? And how frequently? Mine is breastfed & I've noticed she still seems hungry sometimes after a bottle. Mom is ok with feeding as much as she needs, but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure on what I should be expecting. Also, how much baby food do you feed during the day at 6 mo? I'm not on the food program so not sure what their recommendations are. My own children nursed so I never measured oz & I just mashed up bits of what we ate as a family so I haven't done this for quite a while.
Ac114 07:19 AM 02-22-2018
I think pediatricians recommend 4-6 oz every 3-4 hours. I nurse on demand so I’m not even sure what my LO is drinking. I also nurse and then do baby food for breakfast lunch and dinner times. She usually eats about half a jar of food. If I did food first, she would eat a whole Jar and nurse about an hour later.
Ac114 07:21 AM 02-22-2018
Also adding that my LO Is almost 19 lbs and almost 7 months. She’s definitely on the higher end of weight for a breastfed baby. We didn’t start food until 3 weeks ago either. She’s always been a biggie.
Miss A 08:35 AM 02-22-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
How many ounces of milk do your 6mo drink on average? And how frequently? Mine is breastfed & I've noticed she still seems hungry sometimes after a bottle. Mom is ok with feeding as much as she needs, but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure on what I should be expecting. Also, how much baby food do you feed during the day at 6 mo? I'm not on the food program so not sure what their recommendations are. My own children nursed so I never measured oz & I just mashed up bits of what we ate as a family so I haven't done this for quite a while.
I was told to expect my breast milk DS to eat 6-8 ounces every 3-4 hours at 6 months old. The idea is they need 1.2-2 ounces per hour to sustain them. Milk should not excede 32 ounces per day though. If you are nearing that number, maybe discuss with the parents the idea of starting solids.
jenboo 10:08 AM 02-22-2018
I've had babies drink anywhere from 6oz every 2 hours to 3oz every 4 hours. I always base it off their cues. For food, we do baby led weaning so they are served food at mealtimes and eat what they want.
Febby 04:48 AM 02-23-2018
Mine was drinking 5 oz every 3-3 1/2 hours. She was only 14 pounds at 6 months though.
hwichlaz 09:04 AM 02-23-2018
For breastfed infants it's 1-1 1/2 ounces per hour. The milk changes with them, so the amount doesn't change. You just have to be careful not to stretch out their tummies so that they THINK they need more when they don't.

If they really want more, despite paced feeding measures, then it's time to intro self-feeding solids.
happymom 09:37 AM 02-23-2018
I never fed my breastfed baby more than 3-4oz bottles at a time.

At daycare I would send 4 bottles per day until he was about 3 months and then went to 3 slightly bigger bottles, about 11-13oz during daycare and then breastfed on demand at home.
ColorfulSunburst 10:56 AM 02-23-2018
one of dc infants (6mo) drinks 7-8 oz every 4 hours. The second one (8mo) drinks 5-6 oz every 3 hours.
Unregistered 12:39 PM 02-23-2018
Mine takes 8 oz every 3-4 hours.
mamamanda 02:26 PM 02-23-2018
She was only wanting 3 oz at a time every 3 hours or so until about a week ago. This week she's been drinking about 6 oz every 3-4 hours which sounds much more normal compared to what you all have shared. I also started giving her baby food here this week & she is loving it! She'll eat half a jar plus some baby cereal in addition to the bottle.
BrynleeJean 03:08 PM 02-23-2018
every baby is different.
i nursed my son for 12-13 months and the breastmilk was the same measurement of what the baby formula was for the formula fed babies. i didnt usually pay attention because i breastfed but when i pumped i was truly concerned, it was like 2-3 oz or 4 oz or something shocking like that when babies his age took 8 oz formula,
they have charts on generally how much to give babies formula and breastfed on top sites when you google, i looked at them. but in the end babies gonna eat what he wants to be full, so don't give him too little is what i mean not too much and over feed good luck
HappyEverAfter 05:50 PM 02-23-2018
My 9mth and my 10mth each take 6oz every 3 hrs plus baby food at breakfast and lunch times. My 4mth old, who is a super chunk, takes 5oz every 2.5-3hrs.
Tags:feeding - infants, infant - meals, milk
Reply Up