Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddler with Herpes. What Would You Do?
JLH 09:38 AM 07-08-2016
Quick rundown of the situation:
Mom has cold sores, after holiday weekend mom said 2 year old was home sick with mouth full of severe canker sores and fever all weekend, I googled symptoms and they are exact symptoms of herpetic stomatitis which is a form of oral herpes that is highly contagious, 2 year old is special needs and EVERYTHING he touches goes directly in mouth so we asked mom for dr's note stating it's not herpetic stomatitis and he's not contagious, she's bringing him in with a note later today.... Here's the catch, if the dr misdiagnoses (like many do! Even had one try to tell a parent that conjunctivitis wasn't pinkeye and wasn't contagious a while back) then I could end up with a daycare full of kids breaking out with herpes. Also, they say that if it flares up again he could be contagious a day or 2 before he even has sores, meaning he could spread to all the other kids or my family before we even knew he was contagious. What would you do? This is a first for me in nearly 20 years in daycare.
Blackcat31 09:46 AM 07-08-2016
Originally Posted by JLH:
Quick rundown of the situation:
Mom has cold sores, after holiday weekend mom said 2 year old was home sick with mouth full of severe canker sores and fever all weekend, I googled symptoms and they are exact symptoms of herpetic stomatitis which is a form of oral herpes that is highly contagious, 2 year old is special needs and EVERYTHING he touches goes directly in mouth so we asked mom for dr's note stating it's not herpetic stomatitis and he's not contagious, she's bringing him in with a note later today.... Here's the catch, if the dr misdiagnoses (like many do! Even had one try to tell a parent that conjunctivitis wasn't pinkeye and wasn't contagious a while back) then I could end up with a daycare full of kids breaking out with herpes. Also, they say that if it flares up again he could be contagious a day or 2 before he even has sores, meaning he could spread to all the other kids or my family before we even knew he was contagious. What would you do? This is a first for me in nearly 20 years in daycare.
This is what my state's infectious disease manual says:

http://www.hennepin.us/~/media/henne...ider.pdf?la=en
daycarediva 10:00 AM 07-08-2016
I would not allow him to come with ANY open sores AT ALL. So no way would he be allowed back today. I wouldn't care if Mom pulled over it either, it's highly contagious.

Everything in my room would be sanitized asap, too.
JLH 10:06 AM 07-08-2016
Thank you! I saw your link in an old thread and tried clicking it but it wouldn't work. The new link you just shared with me works though and it has great info, so thank you! Well, now I'm in a real pickle. Mom just brought me in a note stating that kid had a virus but isn't contagious anymore because he has no fever. He did have a virus, the onset of oral herpes is a virus. Just because he doesn't have a fever doesn't mean he isn't contagious when it comes to this particular illness. With this illness kids are contagious until they no longer have sores in their mouth. Not sure what to do now because she complied with my wishes for a note...
Blackcat31 10:09 AM 07-08-2016
Originally Posted by JLH:
Thank you! I saw your link in an old thread and tried clicking it but it wouldn't work. The new link you just shared with me works though and it has great info, so thank you! Well, now I'm in a real pickle. Mom just brought me in a note stating that kid had a virus but isn't contagious anymore because he has no fever. He did have a virus, the onset of oral herpes is a virus. Just because he doesn't have a fever doesn't mean he isn't contagious when it comes to this particular illness. With this illness kids are contagious until they no longer have sores in their mouth. Not sure what to do now because she complied with my wishes for a note...
Just tell her that with a little additional research, you've decided that you prefer he not attend if he has ANY of the symptoms listed. Including mouth sores.

It might be tough for her to manage but (1) it's her child, therefore her issue to manage and (2) you have to do what's best for the GROUP not an individual child.

Group needs always trump individual needs.
JLH 11:28 AM 07-08-2016
Good point!
JLH 11:30 AM 07-08-2016
Thank you! Glad to hear I'm not over-reacting.
Unregistered 11:30 AM 07-08-2016
Isn't this form of virus a variety of herpes simplex 1? 90% of the population carries this virus. Chances are good that you also have already been exposed to this since it's so common. Some people are more prone to breakouts while some people seem to never manifest symptoms. Can you give the child a basket of toys just for them and sanitize each night?
JLH 12:06 PM 07-08-2016
I've seen stats anywhere between 50% and 90% have it by their 20's. Most outbreaks happen between 1 and 2 years old. Nearly all of the 12 kids enrolled are under 3 years so they all put everything in their mouth, but he is by far the worst about it. The only way his own separate box of toys will work is if he is strapped into a highchair so he can't run around and share. I could separate from the group for a day or 2 if necessary but this stuff can take weeks to run it's course. Sure wish doctors worked with us instead of against us. Can't exactly have another child here contract it and go to the dr to get a diagnosis of herpes. It can happen. Google child gets herpes at daycare. I feel bad for the child and family... but I'd feel worse if my own children got it or it ruined my business. :/
Kerry18 07:57 PM 08-13-2018
Herpes in the mouth is caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1 and less often by the herpes simplex virus type 2.
The virus in infected people may be active or inactive. When it is inactive, there is no possibility of contagion. Transmission occurs when the virus is active.
When the virus is activated it usually causes an outbreak where the virus is present. Contact with the outbreak is the mode of transmission of the virus.
The virus may be active and not cause an outbreak. In these cases it is also transmitted by contact with the host's body fluids.
Oral herpes can affect the tongue. In that case it's called herpes on the tongue. It can also affect the throat or lips.
Tags:herpes
Reply Up