Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Our Veggie Garden So Far
MG&Lsmom 08:59 AM 07-21-2011
Here are some pics from the veggie garden we planted this year! It's a 16'x8' ft raised bed and I'm planning on expanding it for next spring.

Green peppers

One of our huge cucumbers - I harvested a 6" by 4" around fat cuc the other day and today cut 2 12" ones. I'm not sure what to do with all these cucumbers! about 20 more on the vines.

Zucchini

Cherry tomatoes

Row of carrots and the overgrown cucumber plants

Yellow summer squash

Our peas and watermelons didn't do so good this year. We also have a pumpkin growing that I need to take pictures of. So exciting!
Live and Learn 09:00 AM 07-21-2011
NICE!!!

Thanks for posting photos!
nannyde 09:02 AM 07-21-2011
I love this.

Ours is doing well except for our tomatoes. No green ones yet.
Oneluckymom 09:17 AM 07-21-2011
Whats your secret to a great garden MG&L'smom...do you fertilize. I had fantastic tomatoes last year, but this year I didnt have the time for a garden
daycare 09:31 AM 07-21-2011
wow I am so impressed... I can't even keep a fake plant green....lol

Please share how you are so successful at this??
nannyde 09:32 AM 07-21-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
wow I am so impressed... I can't even keep a fake plant green....lol

Please share how you are so successful at this??

nannyde 09:35 AM 07-21-2011
My tomato plants are making me mad.

My dad and the kids planted them the friday before Memorial Day.

They are all stalk and no show on the baby green tomatoes.

They are already about three foot tall with blooms but nothing else.

I hope we didn't get dud plants.
MG&Lsmom 09:36 AM 07-21-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I love this.

Ours is doing well except for our tomatoes. No green ones yet.
My tomatoes are turning 1 at a time. One meazly little grape tomato a day. And then I get to slice it up so everyone can share

Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Whats your secret to a great garden MG&L'smom...do you fertilize. I had fantastic tomatoes last year, but this year I didnt have the time for a garden
ROTFL! OMG, you have no idea how funny this is. 2 years ago I was lucky if I could get the weeds to grow in my gardens. The running family joke was that I must be adopted because gardening, and I mean prize winning gardening, runs on both sides of my family. It's apparently in our blood. But I killed everything. Flowers, veggies, bushes, a catcus.... I have a concrete plaque in my flower garden that my mom and grandmother made me that reads "I tried, but it died." Last summer we joined a local CSA (community supported agriculture) instead of purchasing our veggies at the supermarket. I worked as the distribution coordinator along side the biggest farmer in the group. She taught me everything, visited my piddly little garden and showed me the ropes. We moved our garden to where it gets almost 10 hours of sun, I water 2-3x a day, and I did use the organic Miracle Grow plant feeder 2x so far. In the fall I'll get some manure and compost and mix that all in the soil and cover with burlap for the winter.
nannyde 09:40 AM 07-21-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
I have a concrete plaque in my flower garden that my mom and grandmother made me that reads "I tried, but it died."

I thought I was gonna have a basil death but after pruning it a little the thing sprung to life and started growing.

It's fun for everyone tho isn't it. It's really worth the time.
daycare 09:43 AM 07-21-2011
My tomatoes are turning 1 at a time. One meazly little grape tomato a day. And then I get to slice it up so everyone can share

ROTFL! OMG, you have no idea how funny this is. 2 years ago I was lucky if I could get the weeds to grow in my gardens. The running family joke was that I must be adopted because gardening, and I mean prize winning gardening, runs on both sides of my family. It's apparently in our blood. But I killed everything. Flowers, veggies, bushes, a catcus.... I have a concrete plaque in my flower garden that my mom and grandmother made me that reads "I tried, but it died." Last summer we joined a local CSA (community supported agriculture) instead of purchasing our veggies at the supermarket. I worked as the distribution coordinator along side the biggest farmer in the group. She taught me everything, visited my piddly little garden and showed me the ropes. We moved our garden to where it gets almost 10 hours of sun, I water 2-3x a day, and I did use the organic Miracle Grow plant feeder 2x so far. In the fall I'll get some manure and compost and mix that all in the soil and cover with burlap for the winter.
Maybe I should take some classes... I think I should get a sign as such as yours... Really I am soooo not good at plants of any kind..
MG&Lsmom 09:45 AM 07-21-2011
[/b]

I thought I was gonna have a basil death but after pruning it a little the thing sprung to life and started growing.

It is. We don't have the room for a garden that sustains our family, but when we move this will be on the list of priorities and deal breakers. I really enjoy it, even the weeding. It's incredible to know that I grew that. Not as awe inspiring as carrying a child, giving birth and nursing my babies, but similar.
SilverSabre25 09:47 AM 07-21-2011
ALl I got planted this year were cherry tomato plants (I was in my third tri of pregnancy...I was good to get those in the ground, lol) and they are doing AWESOME! I just picked a bunch of beauts yesterday (probably around 20), there are a bunch more almost ripe and a TON still green. We still have flowers on the plants, too, so I expect a bunch more soon.
nannyde 09:54 AM 07-21-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
ALl I got planted this year were cherry tomato plants (I was in my third tri of pregnancy...I was good to get those in the ground, lol) and they are doing AWESOME! I just picked a bunch of beauts yesterday (probably around 20), there are a bunch more almost ripe and a TON still green. We still have flowers on the plants, too, so I expect a bunch more soon.
Very primal isn't it.

This year was cool to have my Dad in his seventies teaching the 2-5 year olds his way. Passin it down... generation to generation. I really DIG that.
CheekyChick 10:08 AM 07-21-2011
Your garden looks beautiful!!!
dEHmom 11:52 AM 07-21-2011
My garden is definitely growing but looks like such a mess!

I cannot keep on top of the weeds this year. They are ridiculous. They get a foot high in a matter of a few days!

I added steer manure this year to the soil, and everything took off! Including those damn weeds. If they weren't the ones that leave little slivers in your skin I'd just rip them out everytime i went out, but by the time i get the gloves on, somebody is calling me or needing me. Not much time for weeding this year. I will take a picture of what I've got if I get a chance. I should have a good harvest of cukes soon, and cherry tomatos coming in, peas have been good for eating for the last 4 weeks, and rattlesnake beans are just about ready. gooseberries are disgusting and i'll likely chop them out. Grapes are coming in and should be ready soon. raspberries are deliscious and no strawberries yet this year.
KEG123 01:28 PM 07-21-2011
We have pumpkin, watermelon, lots of tomatoes, basil, corn, green beans and carrots that never made an appearance. And SOMETHING took down one of my stalks of corn!!! So weird.
MsMe 01:33 PM 07-21-2011
send those cucumbers this way!!! I am going broke buying them at the store $1 a piece and I eat at least 2-3 a day. Same price at the farmers market.
Country Kids 01:42 PM 07-21-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
send those cucumbers this way!!! I am going broke buying them at the store $1 a piece and I eat at least 2-3 a day. Same price at the farmers market.
I'm finding our farmers markets quite high also for things. Is it that way everywhere. If so I might as well buy everything at the grocery store.
dEHmom 05:43 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm finding our farmers markets quite high also for things. Is it that way everywhere. If so I might as well buy everything at the grocery store.
yes, I believe because of a lot of the flooding all over, because a lot of crops and fields suffered, the cost of what did make it is much higher. But I think $1 here for cukes is pretty standard. They are often 1.29 here and I think that's what they've always been. If we find a stand on the side of the road for corn, they usually sell them as a bunch and you get a better deal.

my pumpkin plant is doing amazing right now! I took a look last night and it's grown ALOT.

One thing I love to do with cukes is either slice them or chop them and mix some miracle whip and a few splashes of vinegar, salt pepper yum!
SilverSabre25 06:16 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I think the local ones at our grocery store are about $.69 apiece right now, but those are local. $1 sounds reasonable to me so it must be pretty normal.
Country Kids 06:49 AM 07-22-2011
We can get cucumbers 3 for $1.00 at the store but at the farmers markets and stands I think they are a litttle more.
Kaddidle Care 07:27 AM 07-22-2011
Your garden is WONDERFUL! (Note to self, need to put the sprinkler on in ours today.)

My hubby puts a small fence up for the cukes to grow on so they're not laying in the dirt.

Send the extra home with parents - put them in a big basket by the sign out sheet.

You could put a little table out front with them too and a price with an honor jar. If you really want to get rid of them put .25 each and I betcha they'll go!

Don't the littles like them? Ours have very hard seeds so I cut them lengthwise and scoop the seeds out with a spoon. They keep longer in salads and such without the seeds too!
If you have any leftover pickle juice, slice them and put them in it in the fridge but use it within a week. They will be fresh pickles and I bet the littles will love them!

Gosh.. I wish I could grow stuff - I have a black thumb.
dEHmom 07:39 AM 07-22-2011
for the best cucumbers it's best to pick them before they get too big. Then the seeds are still small, the cuke is tastier, and less chances of a bitter one, AND the plant will produce many more cukes. When you leave them on too long, or let them grow too big, they draw a lot out of the plant, and the plant will produce less, and eventually shut down. I had cukes off my 3 plants last year daily, and they produced even after the first light frost (i think that was in late september?). In canada we have a super short growing season, frost up until June and sometimes July, and then usually gardens are done by September. At least where I am.
MissAnn 09:11 AM 07-22-2011
[/b]

I planted basil last year.....and it came back all over the raised garden bed where it wasn't previously planted. We make pesto with it and the kids love it. They hate the smell of the basil leaves though.
MG&Lsmom 10:49 AM 07-22-2011
In all my rush to get the plants in the ground this year I forgot to put up the trellis for the cucumbers, so now the plants have taken over! I have so many on the vines that are super long, but aren't filling out. I did cut one off to see if it was ready and it wasn't. Yesterday's harvest was much better.

Next year I'll plan the plant placement better.

I was hoping the heat we've been having for the last few days would turn these tomatoes already but it's done nothing. Oh well.
nannyde 10:55 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I planted basil last year.....and it came back all over the raised garden bed where it wasn't previously planted. We make pesto with it and the kids love it. They hate the smell of the basil leaves though.
I puree it with goat cheese, rosemary, italian olives, and tomatoes... then put that over some seven grain bread right out of the bread machine.

Oh lawdy... gone in a flash...

I love the smell of basil.
SunflowerMama 11:13 AM 07-22-2011
Love it!! The garden looks great!
MG&Lsmom 12:25 PM 07-22-2011
I puree it with goat cheese, rosemary, italian olives, and tomatoes... then put that over some seven grain bread right out of the bread machine.

Oh lawdy... gone in a flash...

I love the smell of basil.
that sounds divine!
Crystal 12:43 PM 07-22-2011
we had a garden....but the new puppy likes roots for some reason. I no longer have a garden and I no longer have one single flower in my yard
Crystal 12:44 PM 07-22-2011
BTW....looks FABULOUS, nice job!
dEHmom 04:54 AM 07-25-2011
In all my rush to get the plants in the ground this year I forgot to put up the trellis for the cucumbers, so now the plants have taken over! I have so many on the vines that are super long, but aren't filling out. I did cut one off to see if it was ready and it wasn't. Yesterday's harvest was much better.

Next year I'll plan the plant placement better.

I was hoping the heat we've been having for the last few days would turn these tomatoes already but it's done nothing. Oh well.
yeah i made the same mistake. But this year I planted my cukes instead of at the back of the garden, along the one side of it so they've got lots more room. In the last 2 or 3 days they've gotten so much bigger (heat + a little rain here and there) and so dh nailed a lattuce to the side of his shed, and I tied the cukes up to it. I was having difficulty harvesting the other veggies because the cukes were in the way.

Does anyone like rattlesnake beans? I was trying to find out how to eat them, or cook them, and everything sounds like a lot of work. So I don't know if I want to keep them in there. My son planted them and they grew the best and have the greatest harvest but I dont' think I like them, or how much work they are to eat.
Kaddidle Care 05:03 AM 07-25-2011
Just Google Rattlesnake beans recipes - quite a few come up.
MG&Lsmom 07:27 AM 07-25-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
One thing I love to do with cukes is either slice them or chop them and mix some miracle whip and a few splashes of vinegar, salt pepper yum!
I used this last night. I grated the cukes and added finely chopped red onion. OMG! SO GOOD! My mom also has run away cuke plants this year so I called her with the recipe too. She says she loves you
PitterPatter 07:54 AM 07-25-2011

One of our huge cucumbers - I harvested a 6" by 4" around fat cuc the other day and today cut 2 12" ones. I'm not sure what to do with all these cucumbers! about 20 more on the vines. !
I love your garden! Thanks for sharing pics.
I use a lot of cucumbers. Lots of salads almost daily, sliced and dip in ranch at snack time along with baby carrots, our big fav w/ cuc's is sour cream and sliced cucumbers with a lil vinegar.

I have a tomatoe plant that was hanging in a topsy turvey. A storm knocked it down and busted it. It layed on the concrete for 2 days as I thought it was destroyed. When I finally got the time to go in the back and clean it up I noticed it had some lil yello flowers on it so it's been replanted in a container. Now it's growing everywhich way but it has dozens of yellow blooms. I have 18 little green tomatoes starting on that 1 plant. Downfall is they are the tiny cherry tomatoes! They were supposed to be "big boys"
MG&Lsmom 06:05 AM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I love your garden! Thanks for sharing pics.
I use a lot of cucumbers. Lots of salads almost daily, sliced and dip in ranch at snack time along with baby carrots, our big fav w/ cuc's is sour cream and sliced cucumbers with a lil vinegar.

I have a tomatoe plant that was hanging in a topsy turvey. A storm knocked it down and busted it. It layed on the concrete for 2 days as I thought it was destroyed. When I finally got the time to go in the back and clean it up I noticed it had some lil yello flowers on it so it's been replanted in a container. Now it's growing everywhich way but it has dozens of yellow blooms. I have 18 little green tomatoes starting on that 1 plant. Downfall is they are the tiny cherry tomatoes! They were supposed to be "big boys"
I threw a broken tomato branch in my compost pile. Went to bring this week's weeds over yesterday. I have a humongous tomato plant growing in my compost pile! Gotta dig it up and transplant it to the garden.
PeanutsGalore 01:26 PM 07-26-2011
We just dug up the yard to lay sod. While the guys were working back there, they found a surprise strawberry plant under the deck, with berries! I'm going to pull it out and pot it with my other berries--blueberries and raspberries. Now I don't have to buy one for next year--yay!

I hope I can garden outside of pots next year. I hate dirt, but I love some fresh veggies and fruits.
dEHmom 01:34 PM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by PeanutsGalore:
We just dug up the yard to lay sod. While the guys were working back there, they found a surprise strawberry plant under the deck, with berries! I'm going to pull it out and pot it with my other berries--blueberries and raspberries. Now I don't have to buy one for next year--yay!

I hope I can garden outside of pots next year. I hate dirt, but I love some fresh veggies and fruits.
what I like about the strawberries is 1 plant will send lots of runners out and i just bury the runner in a little plant pot that they use to sell flowers/fruits/veggies in at the store, and then i have a new plant!
Tags:gardening, vegetables
Reply Up