Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update On Someone In My House; Video Of My Basement Noises
permanentvacation 06:00 AM 06-11-2014
Here's a video of my basement noises that I just put on youtube at this address http://youtu.be/215LNFl7Oe8. It's 49 minutes long and a good bit of it is nothing. But I hear noises throughout it even though no one is home at the time. If you are interested and have time, please watch it/listen to it and let me know what you think on the original post "Someone I don't know is in my house". It starts raining at 36:00 and there's a loud noise at 38:40 which I think might be the sump pump, but I don't really know.
playground1 06:04 AM 06-11-2014
Where are the other weird noises? I'm sorry, I don't have 40 minutes.
permanentvacation 06:24 AM 06-11-2014
It sounds to me like footsteps, movement sounds, a light switch being turned on/off, and metal being scraped on something.
playground1 06:25 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
It sounds to me like footsteps, movement sounds, a light switch being turned on/off, and metal being scraped on something.
I mean at what point in the video.
lovemykidstoo 06:52 AM 06-11-2014
If you could put what times the strange noises are, I would love to hear too.
lovemykidstoo 07:17 AM 06-11-2014
Wondering if some of the noises are coming from your water heater? Youtube water heater popping noises to see if you hear that kind of noise. Ours does that sometimes and for awhile, I thought it was the daycare kids kicking the wall when they were napping. It's caused by mineral deposits and does not do it all the time, but randomly
permanentvacation 07:44 AM 06-11-2014
I hear noises:

5:32
5:51
6:07
7:14
7:49
7:55
8:21
9:04
9:21
9:57
11:14
11:56
12:12
12:38 footsteps/bangs
12:58 footsteps/bangs
14:35 bangs
15:15 footsteps/bangs
15:24 sounds like a door to me
15:50
16:48
22:48 footsteps/noises/movement

There were more, but these are some of them.
Blackcat31 08:06 AM 06-11-2014
I hear noises:

5:32
5:51
6:07
7:14
7:49
7:55
8:21
9:04
9:21
9:57
11:14
11:56
12:12
12:38 footsteps/bangs
12:58 footsteps/bangs
14:35 bangs
15:15 footsteps/bangs
15:24 sounds like a door to me
15:50
16:48
22:48 footsteps/noises/movement

There were more, but these are some of them.
To those of you who have stated you don't have time or patience to listen to the whole video...I just drug the little cursor thing to the time points I was looking for and the video played from that point forward.

Took me a couple minutes to find the time marks she indicated and listen to them.

NO clue what they are but I also think I am listening for something so therefore I hear something... kwim?

The mind is definitely a powerful thing.
permanentvacation 08:08 AM 06-11-2014
See, that's why I didn't want to tell you where the noises were or what I thought they were. I just wanted you guys to listen to it and tell me what you think. But the video is long, so I understood her asking for the locations of the noises.
cara041083 09:20 AM 06-11-2014
See, that's why I didn't want to tell you where the noises were or what I thought they were. I just wanted you guys to listen to it and tell me what you think. But the video is long, so I understood her asking for the locations of the noises.
Thank u so much for keeping us updated. I feel like we are all investigators lol.
ihop 09:20 AM 06-11-2014
Was our dog home?
I definitely hear lots of noises. If you dog wasn't home and you dont have any trees or plants that touch your house, then I'd say someone was in there. Human or otherwise. It didn't really sound the same as when we hear you walk around but if does sound like someone is walking around.

IM sure you have thought of it but my house sounds like people walking around because I have plants the rest against my windows. When the wind blows they tap and it sounds like footsteps.
permanentvacation 09:43 AM 06-11-2014
No, my dog was not home. I made sure to take him out with me so we would not hear him walking around. And I do not have anything close to my home outside.
permanentvacation 10:01 AM 06-11-2014
My sister and her ex-husband (who used to live in an old townhouse like mine) watched the video and think that the noises are all a mix between the pipes, water heater, and the neighbors moving about in their home.

But that still doesn't explain my daughter's furniture being moved in the basement overnight, her seeing a person walking toward her in the middle of the night when she had her bedroom in the basement, me feeling the pressure of someone sitting on my bed, my younger daughter feeling someone shake her arm to wake her up, me seeing red eyes and orange eyes in my hallway overnight, my front house door occasionally being unlocked in the morning, the front door being unlocked and opened about an inch after we know we closed it and locked it when we left the house, food being missing, things being moved on counters/shelves, a loaf of bread showing up out of nowhere, the strange shadows that we have all seen and my daughter distinctly hearing a female (that was not me or my younger daughter) call her dog by his name and tell him that he was okay twice in a row.

I might not have caught it on this video, but something or someone is in this house.
TwinKristi 10:37 AM 06-11-2014
Uhh, now that I go back to those times and listen it creeps me out. That sound at the 8:21 mark sounds like someone for sure. There's all sorts of weird sounds on there... I swear I hear a voice at some point in the teens and couldn't find it to write it down but I did hear it. And my dh said that sound is for sure a sump pump.
permanentvacation 10:58 AM 06-11-2014
Now, my sister's ex lived in houses like mine years ago, but I owned a house exactly like this one about 10 years ago and I don't remember hearing noises like the ones on the video. And I know I never heard noises like the ones that have made me run out of my house in the middle of the night and sleep in my car!

So I'm not 100% sure that I agree with my sister's ex.
mia 11:00 AM 06-11-2014
Does your neighbor have kids or dogs, did you have a window open somewhere?

It does sound like someone or something is walking around in your home when you are not there.....

I did hear lots of foot steps through out the video, as well as a popping sound every once in a while ( I'd say hot water heater ), heard wind a few times... lot of banging ( sounded like furniture being moved along with foot steps), your sub pump did go off just after it started to rain.

The reason why I ask about kids and dog is because at around the 23.38 mark I hear a voice sounds like a small child, then at around the 23.55 mark I hear a dog barking. Thought I heard another sound (like a bike) earlier in video.

I had volume up loud and had earphones in so I could only hear your video and nothing else.
permanentvacation 11:05 AM 06-11-2014
All of my windows were closed and locked. My next door neighbors do not have dogs or kids. But the people behind me do have dogs that are outside a lot. And there is a back alley behind my house where people walk their dogs and kids walk, run, ride bikes, etc. So the dogs and kids were probably out back in my back alley.
permanentvacation 11:07 AM 06-11-2014
Mia,

My sister's ex said the moving and walking sounds are coming from next door, but I think they are coming from inside my house.
MCC 11:08 AM 06-11-2014
I hear fumbling around for sure. I hope you figure it out!
permanentvacation 11:12 AM 06-11-2014
I went in the basement at nap time today and pushed on the walls searching for a false wall or door/opening in a wall. I couldn't find anything or anywhere that someone would be hiding.

I did get my camcorder to work though. My sister suggested to google the problem and sure enough I learned that I had to erase the internal memory of the camcorder - which I have never had to do before.

So I plan to put the camcorder in the basement (or at least on the top step of the basement stairs) tonight.
lovemykidstoo 11:34 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by mia:
Does your neighbor have kids or dogs, did you have a window open somewhere?

It does sound like someone or something is walking around in your home when you are not there.....

I did hear lots of foot steps through out the video, as well as a popping sound every once in a while ( I'd say hot water heater ), heard wind a few times... lot of banging ( sounded like furniture being moved along with foot steps), your sub pump did go off just after it started to rain.

The reason why I ask about kids and dog is because at around the 23.38 mark I hear a voice sounds like a small child, then at around the 23.55 mark I hear a dog barking. Thought I heard another sound (like a bike) earlier in video.

I had volume up loud and had earphones in so I could only hear your video and nothing else.
I also hear a child at 23:38 and a dog barking at 23:55. They both sound like they're quite a distance away though. I think if a dog or baby were right in the basement, I don't think we'd have to strain to hear it though. I'm thinking coming from outside?
permanentvacation 01:45 PM 06-11-2014
The sounds of the child and dogs are probably from my back alley.
Michael 02:06 PM 06-11-2014
The sound you hear at 38:40 is from a slow drip toilet. Your plumbing is replenishing the tank reservoir with water since it dropped below the waterline threshold.
permanentvacation 02:14 PM 06-11-2014
The only toilet in the house is on the third floor. We have the basement, the main floor, then the top floor where the toilet is. Would we hear a slow drip toilet all the way in the basement? Do you mean that it sounds like someone flushed the toilet?
permanentvacation 02:58 PM 06-11-2014
I had my daughter flush the toilet while I was downstairs recording the sound it would make. The sound on the video you guys are looking at is definitely not the toilet. I did hear the toilet water go down the pipes when my daughter flushed it, but it was extremely quiet compared to the noise on the video.
Former Teacher 04:16 PM 06-11-2014
I just had my husband watch the video with me. He noticed that in the beginning of the video the light is normal. However towards the end of the video its somewhat dimmer.

Does this mean because of the time of day (like night turning into morning) perhaps?
Michael 04:24 PM 06-11-2014
The only toilet in the house is on the third floor. We have the basement, the main floor, then the top floor where the toilet is. Would we hear a slow drip toilet all the way in the basement? Do you mean that it sounds like someone flushed the toilet?
No, when the toilet is flushed the water proceeds down the pipes. That is a different sound.

There is no bathroom on the main floor? The sound you hear is the water pressure turning on to fill the toilet reservoir. If you take off the top of the reservoir and lift the water float it should turn on the water. Have your daughter engage the float upwards and listen in the basement for the sound. Not sure what kind of float your toilet uses:

permanentvacation 05:10 PM 06-11-2014
Former Teacher,

It's probably because it got darker and started to rain towards the end of the video.
permanentvacation 05:14 PM 06-11-2014
Michael,

No, there is only one bathroom in the house and it's on the top floor, not on the main floor. I had my daughter go upstairs and flush the toilet while I was in the basement and it sounded nothing like the sound in the video. The toilet flushing is much more quiet. I had her flush it a second time and I video taped it that time. I will work on posting it to Youtube in a little bit.
permanentvacation 05:16 PM 06-11-2014
I showed the video to my ex-husband and he said it's probably either the sump pump or something called something like the condensation pump that has to do with the air conditioner.
permanentvacation 05:20 PM 06-11-2014
I just watched a video on Google about what a condensation pump on an air conditioner sounds like. I think it sounded more like that.
permanentvacation 05:33 PM 06-11-2014
Okay, I put the flushing of my toilet on youtube here: http://youtu.be/K9z2zGRZw_8. It sounds completely different and much more quiet than the noise on the first video.
Little Buttons 09:00 PM 06-11-2014
Can I just say...I chose the worst thread in the history of ever to read as I am laying in bed right now trying to fall asleep :-\ My over active imagination is running wild with every creak I hear. I hope you find out what is or who is going on in your home soon!
Unregistered 02:28 AM 06-12-2014
I don't know.....I must be a big whimp! I can't bring myself to listen.
Laurel 04:18 AM 06-12-2014
I don't know. I bet in an older house like that it is some kind of explainable noise like plumbing or electrical. Yes, those could have been footsteps but my gut says no and I don't know why I think that. If it is footsteps, it sounds like they take two steps and stop. Who does that?

I've watched those home improvement shows and sometimes they uncover the weirdest things when they take down walls in old houses. Plumbing and electrical was all done wrong, etc. Could be anything.

I wish it you owned the house so you could tear down a wall. That's what I would want to do. After watching those home improvement shows, many houses that old are fire traps the way they are wired, etc.

Laurel
Laurel 04:26 AM 06-12-2014
Did you have a builder or plumber come out and give their opinion? I would definitely want to have the opinion of a builder/construction worker for a possible false wall.

This is a bit weird but I saw on t.v. where a guy once kidnapped a girl and he had a false fireplace. He had some contraption somewhat like an elevator (behind it) and kept her hidden in I guess it was like a basement room. He lowered her down there. I would be tempted to go to the wall and say "Is anybody there?" This guy felt guilty and told authorities otherwise they said she would never have been found because there was no way to get out.

Laurel
coolconfidentme 04:28 AM 06-12-2014
If you think it's paranormal activity, Why don't you have the place blessed or have a group come to investigate? Both are FREE. I'm sure there are some who charge, but for the most part they don't. I own an old county jail that was built back in the 30s. All kind of creepy things go on there. The paranormal groups were standing in line to come in & set up shop to *catch* something.
permanentvacation 07:19 AM 06-12-2014
Laurel,

Wow! That's wild about the guy having an elevator inside a wall and keeping a kidnapped girl there!
Laurel 10:28 AM 06-12-2014
Laurel,

Wow! That's wild about the guy having an elevator inside a wall and keeping a kidnapped girl there!
Yep, she was completely dependent on him to live. Luckily he turned himself in.

Laurel
melilley 10:42 AM 06-12-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
If you think it's paranormal activity, Why don't you have the place blessed or have a group come to investigate? Both are FREE. I'm sure there are some who charge, but for the most part they don't. I own an old county jail that was built back in the 30s. All kind of creepy things go on there. The paranormal groups were standing in line to come in & set up shop to *catch* something.
Did they "catch" anything?
Funny story, well not really funny to me, but right after I had ds (almost 2 yrs ago) I watched a few paranormal shows on tv. My hormones were really out of whack and I was exhausted and I think because of that, for the longest time I was terrified! I even cried to my sis and dh one day because I was so scared. My best friend committed suicide 2 yrs ago and was cremated and her mom gave everyone some ashes in these pretty little ceramic containers. Well I had that on my mantel and couldn't even look at it. I have never had an actual experience, but like to hear stories from others (now that the pregnancy hormones are gone), but I still to this day can't watch one of those shows.
coolconfidentme 03:30 AM 06-13-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Did they "catch" anything?
Funny story, well not really funny to me, but right after I had ds (almost 2 yrs ago) I watched a few paranormal shows on tv. My hormones were really out of whack and I was exhausted and I think because of that, for the longest time I was terrified! I even cried to my sis and dh one day because I was so scared. My best friend committed suicide 2 yrs ago and was cremated and her mom gave everyone some ashes in these pretty little ceramic containers. Well I had that on my mantel and couldn't even look at it. I have never had an actual experience, but like to hear stories from others (now that the pregnancy hormones are gone), but I still to this day can't watch one of those shows.
Yes they did. We always heard cell doors closing, heavy foot steps & child laughter now & then. Yes a child laughing. Some people *saw* someone. A child.

This is going to sound crazy, but her it goes. On the walk though they said the laughing was a little girl who visited her father there. She always came in her Sunday's best dress with a ribbon in her hair. When she died she came to find him & he was already gone. They had actually recording a child laughing. Others had the heavy foot steps & doors closing. They took pictures during their investigation. As they were leaving they took pictures of the outside. They saw nothing while taking them & this was during the time when actual film was used. A 3rd party did the film developing. A couple of the pics has a blurred image of a blond girl in a blue dress & a ribbon in her hair. One picture was in a window looking at us while we were outside. Nobody saw her standing there when the picture was taken.

Before the investigation, I never told them the laughter was from a child or the person was a child who always had a blue dress on when anyone *saw* something. Creepy..., I know.
permanentvacation 06:23 AM 06-13-2014
I took a video of my bedroom and hallway last night when I went to bed to go to sleep. Nothing weird happened as far as noises or sightings go. But the video recorder turned off when it still had 28 minutes and 6 seconds of recording time left. I don't understand why it turned off! It turned off in the basement even though it still had recording time left as well. It has always allowed me to record up til the last second of recording time. The only time it turns off before all the recording time is used in while I am recording my house! I find that very weird!
craftymissbeth 07:41 AM 06-13-2014
I took a video of my bedroom and hallway last night when I went to bed to go to sleep. Nothing weird happened as far as noises or sightings go. But the video recorder turned off when it still had 28 minutes and 6 seconds of recording time left. I don't understand why it turned off! It turned off in the basement even though it still had recording time left as well. It has always allowed me to record up til the last second of recording time. The only time it turns off before all the recording time is used in while I am recording my house! I find that very weird!
Where are you setting the recorder up at? Can anyone come up behind it without being seen? Maybe try setting it up in a corner of the room that way you can see as much of the space as possible and no one can turn it off without being caught. If it's human, that is
melilley 08:51 AM 06-13-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
Yes they did. We always heard cell doors closing, heavy foot steps & child laughter now & then. Yes a child laughing. Some people *saw* someone. A child.

This is going to sound crazy, but her it goes. On the walk though they said the laughing was a little girl who visited her father there. She always came in her Sunday's best dress with a ribbon in her hair. When she died she came to find him & he was already gone. They had actually recording a child laughing. Others had the heavy foot steps & doors closing. They took pictures during their investigation. As they were leaving they took pictures of the outside. They saw nothing while taking them & this was during the time when actual film was used. A 3rd party did the film developing. A couple of the pics has a blurred image of a blond girl in a blue dress & a ribbon in her hair. One picture was in a window looking at us while we were outside. Nobody saw her standing there when the picture was taken.

Before the investigation, I never told them the laughter was from a child or the person was a child who always had a blue dress on when anyone *saw* something. Creepy..., I know.
Oh wow! This sent chills through my body!
My aunt had a cabin and one day when we were little, my sis, cousins and I were contacting the dead in one of the bedrooms. Just as I said that I was done and it was stupid, a piece of ceramic from around the light fell down and came inches from my head. My cousin also said the water turned on once when she was the only one in the cabin. Those are my only experiences and there could be a rational explanation as to why those things happened, but you never know!
permanentvacation 09:02 AM 06-13-2014
craftymissbeth,

I am placing the recorder where it's backed up against something.

In the basement, I put it on a shelf that is built into the underneath of the basement steps. It had the back of the shelf right behind it.

In my bedroom, I put it on the table beside my bed and had the back of it right up to my wall.

Plus, in order to press the stop button or the power button, as you go to hold the camera and/or press the button, the camera should shake a little. But it didn't shake as if someone touched the camera. It just stopped recording.

To test it, I just erased the video of my room and hallway from last night. It says it has 2 hours and 00 minutes of available recording time. And I just put it on my shelf and pressed record. We will see if it allows it to record for the full 2 hours or not right now during the day.
coolconfidentme 09:51 AM 06-13-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Oh wow! This sent chills through my body!
My aunt had a cabin and one day when we were little, my sis, cousins and I were contacting the dead in one of the bedrooms. Just as I said that I was done and it was stupid, a piece of ceramic from around the light fell down and came inches from my head. My cousin also said the water turned on once when she was the only one in the cabin. Those are my only experiences and there could be a rational explanation as to why those things happened, but you never know!
It's weird, I know. I live in a small town & everyone knows the history of *stuff* that goes on there. I always try to explain things away, but somethings I cannot.

This year I have decided to do something about it. I decide to turn it into a haunted house for Halloween. (You though daycare was bad with regs!) I currently use it to store stuff from my rental properties. It will be a nice change making money from the building.
permanentvacation 02:06 PM 06-13-2014
Look at that. I was playing around with my computer and this thing that I have on here called a YouCam lets you record continuously if you want, or when it senses motion. I had no idea this was on here.

I'll set this up overnight in my living room and see if it captures anything weird.
craftymissbeth 02:23 PM 06-13-2014
Look at that. I was playing around with my computer and this thing that I have on here called a YouCam lets you record continuously if you want, or when it senses motion. I had no idea this was on here.

I'll set this up overnight in my living room and see if it captures anything weird.
Ah I'm so excited to see if your computer catches any movement!
permanentvacation 02:26 PM 06-13-2014
I just saw that my camcorder that I was testing by seeing how long it recorded before turning itself off allowed itself to record 1 hour and 56 minutes worth of the 2 hours that were available and I happened to be walking toward it as it turned itself off. I saw the red light on the front of the camera go out. So it did let itself record longer than it did over night, but it still turned itself off 4 minutes early.
Michael 05:28 PM 06-13-2014
I owned a townhouse for 10 years in Laguna Beach. I just sold it last year but had always wanted to get a camera up the fireplace because of weird happenings there. We actually had the California Ghost Hunters http://california-ghosthunters.com come in 2007 and they said there was a ghost of a girl there. We had an earlier thread on the subject: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48590

I had the place remodeled a couple years later and the events stopped for a while. The look of the place after the remodel was much brighter. I had some friends stay there for a few weeks and the events started up again. I hardly stayed in the place but the times I did there was a lot of strange things going on. My friends were convinced after their time spent there.
craftymissbeth 07:51 PM 06-13-2014
Originally Posted by Michael:
I owned a townhouse for 10 years in Laguna Beach. I just sold it last year but had always wanted to get a camera up the fireplace because of weird happenings there. We actually had the California Ghost Hunters http://california-ghosthunters.com come in 2007 and they said there was a ghost of a girl there. We had an earlier thread on the subject: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48590

I had the place remodeled a couple years later and the events stopped for a while. The look of the place after the remodel was much brighter. I had some friends stay there for a few weeks and the events started up again. I hardly stayed in the place but the times I did there was a lot of strange things going on. My friends were convinced after their time spent there.
I've found that after I update something or make any changes in my home whatever it is that's here starts being more active... with full force. I don't think my particular spirits like change.
permanentvacation 07:56 PM 06-13-2014
I wonder if us rearranging furniture and making changes in the house coincides with the things happening here. I'll have to pay attention to that.
craftymissbeth 08:00 PM 06-13-2014
Annnnnd I shouldn't have read through that thread you posted Michael... I'm officially scared
permanentvacation 08:16 PM 06-13-2014
Michael,

I just watched the videos of your haunting. I definitely would have tried to get a look up the fireplace! I bet there's some sort of proof of the girl's death in it. I actually finally got the courage up to call a paranormal investigator. He didn't answer the phone or call me back though. I'm taking that as a sign not to have them involved.
permanentvacation 06:36 PM 06-14-2014
So now I have recorded my house in the basement, on the main floor, and on the top floor and haven't caught anything. We also haven't heard or seen anything lately. Like I said, though, things happen randomly. They might happen one night and not happen again for 6 months, or they might start happening every night for weeks at a time then all of the sudden stop. I give up trying to record things right now. I am running out of batteries for the little flip video recorder! And to use the computer, you can't hide the computer at all. You have to leave the computer open and the screen shows that it is recording and is all lit up. I think I will have to wait until I can afford security cameras.

Thanks for everyone helping me with this. I'll let you know if anything else happens.
Unregistered 08:22 PM 06-14-2014
I'd be careful if there really is an entity living in your home. They can follow you to a new home.
permanentvacation 09:06 AM 06-15-2014
Unregistered,

That's something that I have thought about. I have had paranormal experiences since I was 17/18 years old. I don't know if a specific entity follows me from home to home or if I just attract them or what. It doesn't seem like the same entity though. In each house, it's been a completely different experience.
Cradle2crayons 08:49 PM 06-15-2014
So now I have recorded my house in the basement, on the main floor, and on the top floor and haven't caught anything. We also haven't heard or seen anything lately. Like I said, though, things happen randomly. They might happen one night and not happen again for 6 months, or they might start happening every night for weeks at a time then all of the sudden stop. I give up trying to record things right now. I am running out of batteries for the little flip video recorder! And to use the computer, you can't hide the computer at all. You have to leave the computer open and the screen shows that it is recording and is all lit up. I think I will have to wait until I can afford security cameras.

Thanks for everyone helping me with this. I'll let you know if anything else happens.
I would take a piece of very thick fabric and tape it over the computer screen to block the screen light.. leaving ONLY the little camera area exposed... it shouldn't even be visible when your done. That should work
coolconfidentme 03:34 AM 06-16-2014
Michael,

I just watched the videos of your haunting. I definitely would have tried to get a look up the fireplace! I bet there's some sort of proof of the girl's death in it. I actually finally got the courage up to call a paranormal investigator. He didn't answer the phone or call me back though. I'm taking that as a sign not to have them involved.
I would take it as a sign he is busy.

(I called the HVAC guy & it took a few calls for him to get back to me. He was swamped with business.)
Tags:ghosts, paranormal
Reply Up