Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Naps
finsup 05:19 AM 08-16-2018
So dcb is 14m (has been with me since 3m) is on to a one nap schedule now. Everyone goes down at 12:30. My problem is the 1.5hrs before. We have outside time from 9:45-11 and kid is completely happy, playing, no issues at all. We come in at 11, I put him in the high chair in the kitchen with me while I get lunch ready. He begins his screaming, crying, rubbing his face like he is the most tired he's ever been in his life. Problem is, if I put him down earlier this screaming happens during nap when everyone else is trying to sleep. I tried a morning nap, he will not sleep. He plays in the pnp even without toys, but won't sleep. I'm at a loss for what to do because in a few weeks we start homeschooling again and that pushes lunch and nap half an hour later. I can't have this screaming happen but no one else is on this kid's schedule. I couldn't switch everyone to his schedule because no one else is ready for nap at 11. I have zero stress from this family, they are wonderful and I don't want to term at all. BUT I am dreading this hour every day. Any suggestions?
storybookending 05:28 AM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by finsup:
So dcb is 14m (has been with me since 3m) is on to a one nap schedule now. Everyone goes down at 12:30. My problem is the 1.5hrs before. We have outside time from 9:45-11 and kid is completely happy, playing, no issues at all. We come in at 11, I put him in the high chair in the kitchen with me while I get lunch ready. He begins his screaming, crying, rubbing his face like he is the most tired he's ever been in his life. Problem is, if I put him down earlier this screaming happens during nap when everyone else is trying to sleep. I tried a morning nap, he will not sleep. He plays in the pnp even without toys, but won't sleep. I'm at a loss for what to do because in a few weeks we start homeschooling again and that pushes lunch and nap half an hour later. I can't have this screaming happen but no one else is on this kid's schedule. I couldn't switch everyone to his schedule because no one else is ready for nap at 11. I have zero stress from this family, they are wonderful and I don't want to term at all. BUT I am dreading this hour every day. Any suggestions?
Do you have the option of not putting him in his chair while you prep lunch? Maybe not being forced to be still if he were allowed to safely play could help. Or do they get toys while they are sitting at the table? Puzzles or books or coloring or anything?
Snowmom 06:05 AM 08-16-2018
Is it necessary he be in the high chair?
I have had screamers that do that when they are separated from the group. If the kids weren't in their direct line of site- screaming ensued.

Or you could try making lunch ahead of time (even though I do know it's a pain to prep in the am). Then, serve lunch as soon as you get in. Maybe give him some nibble food while you plate up?
Cat Herder 06:30 AM 08-16-2018
I agree with everyone else. Being confined to the highchair is the most likely culprit, here. He finally got mobile and does not want to be confined. 1 year olds, "Let me lead the way!!".
finsup 06:32 AM 08-16-2018
I've tried toys in the high chair (he throws them) and putting the high chair in the same room with the other kids as they are doing coloring/silent reading at that time in hopes that being with others would help. He screamed regardless.

Letting him play is tricky as he just takes everything out and interrupts everyone who knows it's quiet activities. But, if I can come up with a way of gating off the kitchen, that could be something to try. I could at least keep him in the same room as me (and the mess to one room). I just don't know how to gate the kitchen off.

Lunch prepped ahead of time...hmm...maybe. I think I'd probably have to get up earlier, but, if it stops the screaming I'd take it lol.
finsup 06:38 AM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I agree with everyone else. Being confined to the highchair is the most likely culprit, here. He finally got mobile and does not want to be confined. 1 year olds, "Let me lead the way!!".
Lol oh yes, this is definitely him. He is the happiest kid ever IF he's allowed to roam as he pleases (which he is except for this time and nap)
rosieteddy 06:42 AM 08-16-2018
I would gate kitchen off.Let him move around.I used to prep lunch somewhat before going out.Then I stayed out a little longer sat kids at table to color while I did last minute prep.Then we all finished a little later washed up ready for nap.It is so hard when they scream through meal prep.
Cat Herder 07:08 AM 08-16-2018
I live by these. https://smile.amazon.com/Regalo-192-...galo+baby+gate

I have 4 sets and can construct and destruct a toddler city in 5 minutes flat. Use king sized sheets to make some areas covered "caves" and "tunnels". I can carry them outside, too. What can't be connected can be ziptied. Game changer.
storybookending 07:27 AM 08-16-2018
I would deff try gating off the kitchen or even putting up a pack n play (with toys he doesn’t normally see to make it exciting) right in the kitchen for the time it takes to prep lunch. He is probably upset because he sees the other kids playing quietly while he has to be confined and doesn’t understand why hence the screaming.

I prep some lunches ahead of time depending on what we are having and cook some meals right before we eat. It just depends. I don’t get up any earlier and I do it in the morning just as the first few kids are arriving as my layout allows for it.
finsup 08:02 AM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I live by these. https://smile.amazon.com/Regalo-192-...galo+baby+gate

I have 4 sets and can construct and destruct a toddler city in 5 minutes flat. Use king sized sheets to make some areas covered "caves" and "tunnels". I can carry them outside, too. What can't be connected can be ziptied. Game changer.
Thank you! That could actually work! And that it can be used as a play yard is a huge plus.
finsup 08:08 AM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I would deff try gating off the kitchen or even putting up a pack n play (with toys he doesn’t normally see to make it exciting) right in the kitchen for the time it takes to prep lunch. He is probably upset because he sees the other kids playing quietly while he has to be confined and doesn’t understand why hence the screaming.

I prep some lunches ahead of time depending on what we are having and cook some meals right before we eat. It just depends. I don’t get up any earlier and I do it in the morning just as the first few kids are arriving as my layout allows for it.
In the summer I think I could pull it off without getting up earlier, school year is harder since we start homeschooling pretty early in our day. But yeah I'm sure being separated is a huge part of it!
LysesKids 08:15 AM 08-16-2018
In the summer I think I could pull it off without getting up earlier, school year is harder since we start homeschooling pretty early in our day. But yeah I'm sure being separated is a huge part of it!
How about having miniature set of pots & pans for the child like I do...all my littles "cook" while I do on the other side of my kitchen on the floor. They love it and all are between 8-17 months
storybookending 08:20 AM 08-16-2018
Ah yeah that would make it harder for sure as I’m sure homeschooling is time consuming.
finsup 08:57 AM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Ah yeah that would make it harder for sure as I’m sure homeschooling is time consuming.
It is, especially this year the curriculum has really picked up. Another year or so of daycare and then the plan is to be done so I can just focus on homeschooling. I'm very ready for that
Tags:confinement equipment
Reply Up