Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Already Feeling Anxious
Beach Baby 04:59 PM 01-31-2012
In the fall, I started caring for 2 siblings while their dad was at work. Their mom works over night, so she was sleeping while they were at my house. The schedule varied, but was usually 3-4 days one week and one day the next. Winter came, and the dad stopped working (he works outdoors a lot), so they stopped coming. That was fine with me, I was only looking to do drop-in at that point anyway. Beginning of this month, they put the little girl in pre-k and just called tonight to see if I can watch the boy (18 months) for 3 days next week. The dad got a call for a job, so not sure how long it will last. I said I'd have to check my schedule, but it should be fine. My only concern is payment. Every single time they have had to pay me in the past, I have had to wait for it. Every time. They live right down the street from me and are good people, but they have always been late paying. I don't think they have the money, because he always says that he thought he was going to get paid, but then had to wait for payment himself (independent contractor), so in turn, I had to wait to get paid until he got paid. His wife is an OB nurse. They've made me wait more than a week just for $20 before. I'm already anxious because I'm anticipating the waiting to get paid again. I am not technically open as a daycare yet, so I'm still doing drop-in care. I didn't have any contracts or handbooks or anything for that, only verbal agreement. (stupid!!) So, do I finish up my handbook and contract (been working on it) and make them sign and pay ahead for the week or do I keep our verbal contract (even though they didn't as far as pay goes) and just stick it out until I am ready to officially open as a daycare? Why is it always the parents who make things so difficult?!
cheerfuldom 06:55 PM 01-31-2012
Finish the contract now and let them know that they must sign it in order to stay. I would be proactive and call and let them know that you have to insist on payment upon drop off (not pick up, not later). If they cannot pay upon drop off, you wont be able to let them stay.

For future reference, dont take neighbors, friends or family.
Crazy8 07:21 PM 01-31-2012
I agree, finish that contract up RIGHT NOW. Even if you have to keep it more basic than what you would ultimately like. I'd even have a contract for drop ins and that would be the one I'd give them. DO NOT take a child in without payment up front. For this family, I would call them back and let them know that while they've been out you have made some changes to your program and that they will need to sign the contract if they'd like to continue using your services when they need it.

I was just browsing on craigslist and saw a new provider in a nearby town that requires payment the monday AFTER the week of services and I am just scratching my head. Why would anyone set themselves up for non-payment issues like that???
momofboys 07:45 PM 01-31-2012
It doesn't matter whether you have a completed contract or not. When/if you call the parents back just say you would be thrilled to watch little Johnny (or whoever he is) but that you now require payment to be made in advance. So if Johnny is coming 3 days next week payment must be made at drop-off on the 1st day. And then insist that this happens. If parent shows up with no $$$ turn them away. If they want to know why let them know you need the $$$ in advance to pay for meals for their child, craft supplies, etc. You can make your own rules whether you have a contract or not so long as you tell your clients what they are. It does help to have a contract.
Beach Baby 07:46 PM 01-31-2012
You're right. I really need to make them sign an agreement. At first, I was just glad to have the extra money coming in, but when I had to wait, and wait and wait for it, it became a source of anxiety and stress. This is a double whammy...he's not only a neighbor, but once I started watching his kids, we found out that we are actually cousins! We didn't know each other before I started watching his kids. (They live 2 streets down from me) I did tell him before the last time that I watched their kids that I would need to be paid each day because of someone else not paying. It wasn't true, but I was trying to be nice about it and hoping he would get the hint. Didn't work. I feel bad for them, I know what it's like when you don't have the money. (Otherwise, I would have continued to be a sahm and not a wahm!!!) Ugh. I hate this part.
Beach Baby 07:55 PM 01-31-2012
momofboys, you're right, I just need to be clear and actually stick with it. I did tell them last time that I needed to be paid at the end of each day (at pickup) but that didn't work. I needed the money so I kept watching them. They did pay, eventually. It's just this one issue that is causing problems, otherwise they are a great family. I hate to lose them, but I wouldn't hate to lose the anxiety and stress of waiting to be paid. I think I'm going to let them know that things have changed and that if they want me to watch him they need to pay up front. I do watch a friend's toddler every Friday and she always has the money in the diaper bag at drop off. She's been excellent as far as paying goes. Wish they could all the that way!
Beach Baby 02:52 PM 02-03-2012
I DID IT!!! I finished the handbook and contract and I emailed it to them, along with a text letting them know that I sent it. . I am sooooooo unbelievably happy that I did it! Dcm texted me and was asking about rates, how much for one day, how much for two, etc. It's written in the handbook! I texted back the rates I had listed. Not sure if she was looking for a discount or wanted to just make sure she got the rates right. At the end of the convo, she said "ok.". No mention about payment up front. We will see on Monday morning! If you require prepayment, how do you make sure they have payment?
momofboys 02:55 PM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by MamaNik:
I DID IT!!! I finished the handbook and contract and I emailed it to them, along with a text letting them know that I sent it. . I am sooooooo unbelievably happy that I did it! Dcm texted me and was asking about rates, how much for one day, how much for two, etc. It's written in the handbook! I texted back the rates I had listed. Not sure if she was looking for a discount or wanted to just make sure she got the rates right. At the end of the convo, she said "ok.". No mention about payment up front. We will see on Monday morning! If you require prepayment, how do you make sure they have payment?
I would make sure you text/call back saying you look forward to seeing them mon & then add that payment will be required at DROP OFF for that week of care (in case she did not read your handbook!). If they don't come with $$$ send them packing. It will only take 1 time for them to never forget again. Good luck!
Beach Baby 03:07 PM 02-03-2012
Honestly, I will be very surprised if they show up with payment! Even when I told them before that they had to pay at pickup, they showed up asking if they could pay the next day. I would be ok with that if they actually paid the next day. They always make me wait. So now it's prepay only. No exceptions, no excuses! I just hope I can keep my newly found backbone when dcd is standing in front of me on Monday morning making puppy dog eyes and giving me one excuse or another! I NEED to be strong!
Tags:late payment, parents - don't cooperate, schedule
Reply Up