Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Guess What?! Another Nap Dilemma!
sahm2three 08:36 AM 09-21-2011
So, my 18 mo screamer has decided he isn't going to sleep AT ALL. Not at all. So, he stays in there and cries, which I hate, but if I brought him out, that would just reinforce bad behavior, right?! And he would scream. At least he is in his own room and hopefully won't wake anyone else and his crying is muted for us. I just wish he were a happier kid. Mom and dad said they have been having the same issues at home, so it isn't just here. They just leave him in his room to scream there too. I HATE letting him scream. Just don't know what else to do with him...
laundrymom 10:23 AM 09-21-2011
No answers, but sending you hugs!
beachgrl 10:31 AM 09-21-2011
yikes, bless you...I just had to let my 15 mo old scream and cry it out for a bit to see if he could learn to put himself to sleep and not freak out if he isnt being held all the time. How long have you been trying this?

If he is very determined it may take him some time to learn the behavior won't be reinforced, and if it is reinforced once...it will be like starting all over, kids are the kings and queens of knowing what works lol. It is very hard to listen to a child cry or scream, are you able to turn some music on (not too loud where you can't hear him but where it is some background noise)? I turned my rest time music up to help not wake up the other dck I have sleeping in the playroom because he got really loud and he was out in a few minutes.

Good luck, hugs...breath!
momofsix 10:44 AM 09-21-2011
Oh, so sorry-hopefully he'll get it soon. He's got to be exhausted doing all that crying for so long!
You may have mentioned in a previous thread that I don't remember-have parents had hiim checked out so you know he's not in pain-ears, tummy...? If he's healthy, fed and dry sometimes the only thing you can do is let him cry so he learns to go to sleep! When he learns this he should be so much happier...and everyone else will be too!
mismatchedsocks 10:50 AM 09-21-2011
Time hopefully will cure this. Sorry he is going through this. Figure out sleep pattern at home? Keep him up longer? do they co sleep at home?
littlemissmuffet 12:21 PM 09-21-2011
I know it's hard to listen to them cry/scream, during nap time - it's hard on you emotionally, and also difficult having to hear the choas... and worry if it's also disturbing the others - but he has to learn how and when to nap. In my opinion, CIO or in this case SIO is the only, and best way!
Think of it this way - if he was screaming his lungs out and losing his mind because he wanted icecream for breakfast you wouldn't give in - because it's not good for him! Letting him control when he does and doesn't nap isn't good for him either. Be consistant, he'll eventually get into the routine of things... and likely be happier.
Good luck, hun!
Heidi 01:16 PM 09-23-2011
I used to worry at that age that they could climb out of the crib, and get hurt or trash a room. Then, I got one of these from Germany.

http://www.babyinabag.com/

It's designed for warmth and SIDS prevention, but it works great for toddlers-they can't crawl out! No "leg up". My old one had a zipper in front, so for toddler I turned it backwards. I'g going to check these out more, but maybe someone could sew one...
christinaskids 03:36 PM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
So, my 18 mo screamer has decided he isn't going to sleep AT ALL. Not at all. So, he stays in there and cries, which I hate, but if I brought him out, that would just reinforce bad behavior, right?! And he would scream. At least he is in his own room and hopefully won't wake anyone else and his crying is muted for us. I just wish he were a happier kid. Mom and dad said they have been having the same issues at home, so it isn't just here. They just leave him in his room to scream there too. I HATE letting him scream. Just don't know what else to do with him...
Maybe he is getting overly tired and really fighting it. Could you possibly try an earlier naptime before he gets exhausted? He may need more naps or earlier naps until it gets figured out. It may just be one of those things you gotta live through until he grows out of it like newboorns waking up at night.
KBCsMommy 05:14 PM 09-23-2011
I have a 6 mo dcb whom I have been working with on this. It was going exactly the way your describing. They cry for an hour finally fall asleep and sleep 20 mins just to wake up screaming again.
And eventually they just cry alllllllll nap time and dont even sleep at all because they are extremely overtired.
With my dcb I finally figured out that I needed to get him down for a nap much earlier than I had been doing.
I had been waiting until 9 am to put him down and that was too late so I moved it down to 8:15. He cries now for about 10 mins then goes to sleep for about an hour.
His afternoon naps I had been putting him down at 12:30 and he was so overtired he would just cry and cry and wouldnt even go to sleep until almost pickup time, literally passing out from exhaustion.
Now, I put him down for his afternoon nap at 11:30 he cries for a few minutes and then sacks out for 2 hours. Often he wakes up and cries for a few minutes and then goes back to sleep.
And since I upped his afternoon nap Ive been having him take an extra afternoon nap for about 45 mins.
I hope you figure it out for the little one! It really is frustrating especially when they are keeping everyone else awake! Good Luck!

And crossing my fingers hoping I didnt just jinx myself!!!!
jojosmommy 11:35 AM 09-26-2011
I have a 16 month old who does it occassionally and mom/dad say she does it at home too. I NEVER go in there when she does it b/c of what the other posters said- reinforce behavior, wake up others, NEEDS a nap. My mother however got her out once when she was here helping and I was putting my LO to bed and for 2 straight weeks she did it everyday. Rarely do I ever get upset at my mom but for the next 10 daycare days I was boiling inside at my mom.
Tags:screamer, won't sleep
Reply Up