Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Biter...OH MY....
KBCsMommy 03:06 PM 05-02-2012
So I just noticed my 11 mo dcb got bit by my 11 mo dcg!! Oh great!!

I called the dcb mom told him what happend, she said she understands stuff happens, and said she knows I will take care of it.

This dcg has bitten me too. Her mom says the baby has been biting her too.
Can you see a pattern!!

I dont want a biter in my daycare. Should I give the mom a warning or how should I handle this?
Heidi 03:30 PM 05-02-2012
I would never terminate an 11 month old for biting! I know it's tough, I really do!

My suggestion would be to first of all, keep her in a safety zone of some sort whenever you cannot be right next to her. Either a pnp (not her sleeping one), or a "super gate", or a high chair, or an exercauser. I'm not a big fan of contraptions, but would consider this an exception.

When you can be RIGHT THERE, be her shadow, and get to her BEFORE she strikes. Say NO WE DONT BITE PEOPLE!...firmly, but if she's a sensitive one, don't freak her out.

Either put your hand gently on her mouth, or give her something she can bite, like a specific chew toy. Not a dog chew toy...lol...one of those teething pretzels or something. Say "here bite THIS"

I don't know if they still have those pacifier straps, but you could even put the teether on that and let her have it on her when she's awake.

This will pass once she can verbalize things. Have you noticed that often kids bite others in the back? They are trying to say "no...don't go..", but don't have the words yet.
JenNJ 04:04 PM 05-02-2012
At 11 months, she is definitely teething. Give her lots of easy to chew soft foods. Paci if she takes one. A ton of teething toys. And keep her apart for now. A pnp in the playroom, walker, exersaucer, jumping seat, whatever. It will pass quick.
KBCsMommy 04:45 PM 05-02-2012
Thanks! I really do not want to terminate. I think I was just jumping to conclusions!! It's just weird because usually we hear about toddlers biting not babies!!!She is the sweetest little girl, with a great family. I probaly need to shadow her more and keep her with me more.
Heidi 05:56 PM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
Thanks! I really do not want to terminate. I think I was just jumping to conclusions!! It's just weird because usually we hear about toddlers biting not babies!!!She is the sweetest little girl, with a great family. I probaly need to shadow her more and keep her with me more.
Yep...just remember right now it's more a reflex than a chosen behavior for her. Try to lessen the possibility of it happening as much as possible, and offer some alternatives if you can.

These little people are SO quick! I've had biters in the past, and it's amazing how quick they are!
texascare 08:23 AM 05-03-2012
I have never terminated for biting but I do know of a case years ago that was turned on the provider as neglect. One baby got bit so many times it was turned on her that she was not supervising the kids well enough. So with that being said you do need to protect yourself. A supergate is an exellent idea. And make sure the parents work with you to curb the biting. There is a book called "teeth are not for biting" that we read in our daycare. It has seemed to help my biter over here.
Tags:11 month old, biter, biting
Reply Up