Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paid Vacations/Holidays vs Parents
Country Kids 01:40 PM 11-13-2012
I do not do the whole paide vacations/holiday type thing.

My question is: do you guys take more paid time off then your parents get or do your times line up pretty well.

I have 95% of my families that actually have all the same holidays/day after/before off as I do.

5% don't and I just found out some interesting things about their time off. They only get 5 holidays off a year and 1 week of sick time. Now I guess it is a little more clearer to me why they always double/triple asked my days off because they don't get that much time off.

Side note-just found out my bank is only closed 4 days of the year!!!!

I know its not our worry but I'm starting to wonder if more parents are now working holidays then before?
AnneCordelia 01:49 PM 11-13-2012
My parents are all professionals in some capacity and get 4-5 weeks of holiday time. That doesn't include the stat holidays that are legally required in Ontario, nor does it include sick time. I only take 3 weeks vacay so they have much more than I do.
Blackcat31 02:44 PM 11-13-2012
I have never given any thought to what days off my parents actually get. I only know what days off I decided to take. In return, my parents are given the same amount of days they can use without being charged.

If I tried to tailor my days off to the days my parents had off, I would be really confused and stressed as depending on the current group I have, things change with every new year.

Also, where in the world do you bank? I was under the understanding that banks are closed on all federal holidays as mandated by law due to federal regulations. I think the only exception to this rule is privately owned banks/offices

Federal law (5 U.S.C. 6103) establishes the following public holidays for all Federal employees. Please note that most Federal employees work on a Monday through Friday schedule. For these employees, when a holiday falls on a nonworkday -- Saturday or Sunday -- the holiday usually is observed on Monday (if the holiday falls on Sunday) or Friday (if the holiday falls on Saturday). http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_...edhol/2012.asp
Country Kids 02:48 PM 11-13-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have never given any thought to what days off my parents actually get. I only know what days off I decided to take. In return, my parents are given the same amount of days they can use without being charged.

If I tried to tailor my days off to the days my parents had off, I would be really confused and stressed as depending on the current group I have, things change with every new year.

Also, where in the world do you bank? I was under the understanding that banks are closed on all federal holidays as mandated by law due to federal regulations. I think the only exception to this rule is privately owned banks/offices

Federal law (5 U.S.C. 6103) establishes the following public holidays for all Federal employees. Please note that most Federal employees work on a Monday through Friday schedule. For these employees, when a holiday falls on a nonworkday -- Saturday or Sunday -- the holiday usually is observed on Monday (if the holiday falls on Sunday) or Friday (if the holiday falls on Saturday). http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_...edhol/2012.asp

We have several banks here that work inside retail stores/grocery stores. They have to work the days the stores are open and alot of the hours they are open also.

They work open seven days a week actually.
itlw8 02:56 PM 11-13-2012
I do understand because as a young mom I had to hire someone when my provider took off for vacation

Years ago I started taking off all state holidays when I had all stat workers.

I still do. The parents figure it out or do not sign with me. I am very upfront about closing those days. In fact I tell the parents on the phone so if it won't work I do not interview them. Granted just a few mile from the Capital it is very common so they often have a relative that is off.
Country Kids 03:00 PM 11-13-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I do understand because as a young mom I had to hire someone when my provider took off for vacation

Years ago I started taking off all state holidays when I had all stat workers.

I still do. The parents figure it out or do not sign with me. I am very upfront about closing those days. In fact I tell the parents on the phone so if it won't work I do not interview them. Granted just a few mile from the Capital it is very common so they often have a relative that is off.
Do you have them pay?
Blackcat31 03:08 PM 11-13-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
We have several banks here that work inside retail stores/grocery stores. They have to work the days the stores are open and alot of the hours they are open also.

They work open seven days a week actually.
Weird, must be a state thing. We have a bank inside Wal-mart, Target and our Cub Foods and each were closed yesterday even though the stores themselves were open.

We have one bank that is open 7 days a week but they are still closed for the federal holidays. The federal holidays they observe are the same as the Federal Reserve Board.

I suppose there are different rules for different states as well as individually owned banks.

As far as holiday closures go though, close when you want and if you are up front about it and parents know when signing on, they really can't complain.
daycare 03:13 PM 11-13-2012
I am on the food program and they will only cover 5 holidays a year of payments if I stay open. I also have to provide a request signed document to stay open by the parents. It has to be provided 30 days prior to the Holiday, should I remain open. It's such a pain that I just include the list of closed holidays from the Food Program in my PHB and just let the parents know that I will be closed on these days, as the program does not offer reimbursements on holidays, since they are closed.

I only took 4 days off this entire year so far....... So I take all of the holidays that I can get off.
Country Kids 03:17 PM 11-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am on the food program and they will only cover 5 holidays a year of payments if I stay open. I also have to provide a request signed document to stay open by the parents. It has to be provided 30 days prior to the Holiday, should I remain open. It's such a pain that I just include the list of closed holidays from the Food Program in my PHB and just let the parents know that I will be closed on these days, as the program does not offer reimbursements on holidays, since they are closed.

I only took 4 days off this entire year so far....... So I take all of the holidays that I can get off.
Are food program is nothing like that-wow, is all I can say! I've never heard of anything like that.

Just shows how different each state is with that program.
mom2many 03:55 PM 11-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am on the food program and they will only cover 5 holidays a year of payments if I stay open.
I'm on a food program too, but they have never told us about only covering 5 holidays a year. I'm gonna have to ask about this!

I didn't take off Columbus Day or Veterans Day, but take all of the other Federal holidays...so maybe that is why it hasn't impacted my claims!

I'm with Monterey Bay Agency. I wonder if they are all the same in CA?
daycare 04:09 PM 11-13-2012
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I'm on a food program too, but they have never told us about only covering 5 holidays a year. I'm gonna have to ask about this!

I didn't take off Columbus Day or Veterans Day, but take all of the other Federal holidays...so maybe that is why it hasn't impacted my claims!

I'm with Monterey Bay Agency. I wonder if they are all the same in CA?
not too sure....BTW I read it in the Food program handbook and when I asked my food rep about it she told me No. It took me going to the head honcho to get them to implement this for me.

SO now if I am open on a holiday in which they are closed, I will get paid. Again with advance notice.
HappyHearts 05:08 PM 11-13-2012
I have always been closed the following Holidays....

New Year's Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving & Day after
Christmas Eve & Christmas Day

I just added in these three starting next year...Although depending on my group, I may choose not to close.

Martin Luther King Jr Day
Presidents Day
Veterans' Day

All my Holidays are paid, in addition to any time I take off for personal/family/medical/emergency, except for my 2 weeks vacation which is noted in my handbook, however, I haven't taken vacation in 9 years.

With the above holidays, I have a few other days off already scheduled for next year, which adds up to 18 days off for the year, and they will all be paid. I charge a flat rate, and the parents pay me regardless if their children are here or not, doesn't matter if they are off for their reasons, or because I am closed. I've never had a parent complain about it.
Crazy8 05:23 PM 11-13-2012
I get 9 paid holidays and 1 week paid vacation per year - I would say EVERY parent I've had over the last 10 years gets WAAAAYYYYYY more than that!!! I don't do subsidy, so almost all my clients have been salaried professionals. Most get 3-5 weeks paid vacation, plus sick and personal days PLUS all the holidays I get and then some. I do not feel bad in the least that I get 14 paid days per year when I am available to them the other 246 work days a year!!!!
Crazy8 05:24 PM 11-13-2012

My question is: do you guys take more paid time off then your parents get or do your times line up pretty well.

I have 95% of my families that actually have all the same holidays/day after/before off as I do.

5% don't and I just found out some interesting things about their time off. They only get 5 holidays off a year and 1 week of sick time. Now I guess it is a little more clearer to me why they always double/triple asked my days off because they don't get that much time off.

I know its not our worry but I'm starting to wonder if more parents are now working holidays then before?
Are you in the US??? I thought banks would have to close for federal holidays - there are a lot more than 4 of those in a year!
littlemissmuffet 05:56 PM 11-13-2012
ALmost all the parents I have dealt with over the years get much more paid time off work than I do - and I myself get quite a bit (10 paid stat holidays, 10 paid vacation days, 5 paid personal/sick/emergency days). However, 15 days off out of 250 really isn't so bad, is it?

I do not provide unpaid vacation or sick time to families. None of my families pay for a back up provider - all of them have enough paid sick/personal/vacation time to cover their illness, their child's illness, their vacation time and all my closures. Most of my parents average 35 paid days off work per year!

And quite honestly, I don't concern myself with what parents do/do not have in regards to paid days off work. I make it extremely clear during the interview process and in my handbook how many (and what) days I take off each year. I have yet to have a question parent it.

I too have never heard of a bank being closed only 4 days a year, but then again, I'm in Canada. My bank is closed on all major Holidays and very often the day prior or following a major holiday!
WDW 06:17 PM 11-13-2012

I have not read all the replies... but here is what I am doing beginning in January. I take 8 pd holidays (Christmas Eve and the Fri. after Thanksgiving are two of them). I also take 10 paid days off each year in addition to the holidays. My parents will get five days of unpaid "sick" leave and 5 days of 1/2 pay "vacation" time IF they give me 2 weeks notice. No notice is required for the sick time... most of my families have paid vacation and paid holidays...
Cat Herder 08:39 AM 11-14-2012

I take my Holidays as I would had I worked the same number of years in the private sector.

Just because one of my clients does not have enough seniority at their job, to have earned as many days off, does not mean I have to give up mine. YKWIM?

In my first few years, while I was earning my reputation in the community, I rarely closed. I now take my holidays with pay. I feel I have earned that right and will not allow them to make me feel guilty for it.
Country Kids 08:47 AM 11-14-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I take my Holidays as I would had I worked the same number of years in the private sector.

Just because one of my clients does not have enough seniority at their job, to have earned as many days off, does not mean I have to give up mine. YKWIM?

In my first few years, while I was earning my reputation in the community, I rarely closed. I now take my holidays with pay. I feel I have earned that right and will not allow them to make me feel guilty for it.
Oh, it has nothing to do with seniority-they have been there about 6 years or so. Alot of places here, jobs have nothing to do with seniority. Like my hubs job, he is the only one there is to do it. That is how its with alot of my parents-they are the only one doing their job.
Country Kids 08:51 AM 11-14-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Are you in the US??? I thought banks would have to close for federal holidays - there are a lot more than 4 of those in a year!
Yes, I am in the US. There are two banks that were actually open on Sun/Monday.

They take off New Years Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas. I think they may actually open pretty early on Black Friday also.
lovemykidstoo 09:01 AM 11-14-2012
I guess I have never thought about how much my parents get for vacation time, but now that I think about it they don't seem to keep the kids home too much. I hand out my vacation time in January for the whole year. I always take the 4th of July week off, a week in August and the time between Christmas and New Years. Pretty much that's it, but there may be a day that I take off if the kids are doing something with school. Alot of my dcf's take the same weeks that I take off. I do not charge them for the days that I take off as vacation, I do charge for the days that are holidays that I close if their day falls on that day. If their child does not come for any reason, their vacation, sick etc then they still pay me.

I am always interested in how people get their families to pay them on their own vacation. How do those people not have a hard time with it that they then have to pay someone else to care for their child? Thereby paying double for a week of care? I can pretty much say that none of my parents would care to do that, let alone be able to afford it. If they normally pay me $140 for the week, then they would be paying $280 a week for one child. Doesn't anyone get a hard time about that? I understand they can take time off of work, but what if they don't have the time? Just curious.
Cat Herder 09:10 AM 11-14-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I am always interested in how people get their families to pay them on their own vacation. Just curious.
I can only speak for myself, but:

I only charge for holidays that fall during the work week. Not the day before or the day after. 4th of July, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, etc.

I do not charge for my family vacation (1 week a year) OR theirs (up to two weeks a year) as long as they give me enough notice.

It just works both ways so they don't mind.
NeedaVaca 10:45 AM 11-14-2012
I take 8 paid Holidays, 10 paid vacation days & 3 paid sick/personal days. My families pay me the same amount 52 weeks per year. Even if they go on vacation or kids are sick. I am very clear about this during the interview and so far everyone has said said no problem, they have grandparents or family nearby, some have gone on vacation at the same time, a good portion of my vacation is during the holidays and they also take time off, work at home dad can handle it, etc...so far it hasn't been a problem.
juliebug 12:04 PM 11-14-2012
I would guess my parents get more, but i get 9 paid holidays and 2 weeks off with out pay for vacation
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 11-14-2012
I am always interested in how people get their families to pay them on their own vacation. How do those people not have a hard time with it that they then have to pay someone else to care for their child? Thereby paying double for a week of care? I can pretty much say that none of my parents would care to do that, let alone be able to afford it. If they normally pay me $140 for the week, then they would be paying $280 a week for one child. Doesn't anyone get a hard time about that? I understand they can take time off of work, but what if they don't have the time? Just curious.
I am much like Catherder and only charge for holidays that fall during the week and do not take paid days off for anything that falls on a weekend.

I also do NOT take ALL holidays off. I take 5 paid holidays each year (ONLY if they land on a weekday) and I take 2 week long vacations.

The vacations are always the week of 4th of July and the week between Christmas and New Years. I charge my parents 50% of their normal weekly rate for both vacations. I also give them the option to begin paying for the vacation by adding a bit extra to their payments 30 days prior to the vacation.

I started taking paid holidays the 16th year I was in business. I started charging for my vacation weeks the 17th year I was in business. Before that I simply closed and took the loss.

I also give my full time parents 8 days off per year they may use when ever they like.

My 3/4 parents get 6 days per year and my parents who attend 3 or less days per week, do not receive any days.

ALL families pay for the 5 holiday days that I am closed whether it falls on one of their days or not.
lovemykidstoo 12:29 PM 11-14-2012
I am much like Catherder and only charge for holidays that fall during the week and do not take paid days off for anything that falls on a weekend.

I also do NOT take ALL holidays off. I take 5 paid holidays each year (ONLY if they land on a weekday) and I take 2 week long vacations.

The vacations are always the week of 4th of July and the week between Christmas and New Years. I charge my parents 50% of their normal weekly rate for both vacations. I also give them the option to begin paying for the vacation by adding a bit extra to their payments 30 days prior to the vacation.

I started taking paid holidays the 16th year I was in business. I started charging for my vacation weeks the 17th year I was in business. Before that I simply closed and took the loss.

I also give my full time parents 8 days off per year they may use when ever they like.

My 3/4 parents get 6 days per year and my parents who attend 3 or less days per week, do not receive any days.

ALL families pay for the 5 holiday days that I am closed whether it falls on one of their days or not.
without it reading the same, you and I basically are the same if you look at the dollars and cents of it. You get your vacation at 1/2 price paid while giving your ft people 8 days free. I don't charge for my vacation, but don't give dcf's any free days anymore. I also charge for the 5 major holidays if they're during the week and their day falls on it. I used to give the free days to the parents, but found that they were using them most of the time during the same pay period. Found that kids tended to get sick around the same time, so I was out alot of money that I needed, so I stopped the free days.
Mommy2One 01:31 PM 11-14-2012
I work in a very small, family owned and operated company in a professional salaried position. I get 6 paid holidays:
New Years Day
Memorial Day
Fourth of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas

I do not get the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve off. I get 10 paid vacation days/year. I get up to 5 paid sick days per year but the general cultures it that you take a few as you possibly can. Most people take 0-3/year.

My husband is mid-level (district) manager for a corporation that has locations throughout the US. He gets 10 paid vacation days, 5 paid sick days and when the economy was better he also got 5 paid "personal enrichment" days. At the bottom level the company serves customers and they are only closed two days per year (Thanksgiving and Christmas) so he only gets 2 paid holidays.

Before I had my daughter I worked for a slightly larger family owned company and I had 7 paid holidays (we also got the Friday after Thanksgiving off), and half days for Christmas and New Years Eve. We got 10 paid vacation days and sick days were based on the honor (aka good excuse) system.

In all three cases you got 15 vacation days/year once you'd been with the company 5-7 years.

Thankfully we only need care 3 days/week (the other two are covered by one grandmother) and the other grandmother can usually be backup for 2 of the 3 days so it's only Fridays that we have to worry about using our days on.
Blackcat31 01:54 PM 11-14-2012
without it reading the same, you and I basically are the same if you look at the dollars and cents of it. You get your vacation at 1/2 price paid while giving your ft people 8 days free. I don't charge for my vacation, but don't give dcf's any free days anymore. I also charge for the 5 major holidays if they're during the week and their day falls on it. I used to give the free days to the parents, but found that they were using them most of the time during the same pay period. Found that kids tended to get sick around the same time, so I was out alot of money that I needed, so I stopped the free days.
I do it that way because it seems to make the money balance better. I used to find myself in the same situation you mentioned, with parents conveniently having their kids home at certain times of the year and then I had shorted pay weeks etc. Tough to make ends meet when the money isn't consistent.

I also do not allow parents to use their free/credit days during any of my vacations or paid holidays. I also only give those free/credit days to full time families as I feel they "earned" it more than the part time families and they are also the ones I depend most on for income so I feel it is all part of the R+R-R=R+R system.

R+R-R=R+R means

Rules and Regulations minus Relationships equal Resentment and Rebellion
~ John Maxwell.

BEST advice I ever got. (well one of the best pieces of advice anyways)
littlemissmuffet 03:25 PM 11-14-2012
Where I live, all full-time employees are entitled to 3 weeks of vacation per year (after working for a company for 1 year; after 5 years you are entitled to 4 weeks)! Most of my parents have 4 (or more) weeks vacation. All of my parents use vacation time when we close (and most plan vacations when we close for ours - I send out a schedule each January so parents have time to plan) and are not double paying. Almost every child of mine is gone an additional 1-3 weeks per year during family vacation with parents... so I certaintly don't feel bad
In a two parent home, the majority of my families have 8 weeks (40 days!) vacation and 20+ days paid sick/personal time compared to the 15 I have. For me, it was a no-brainer to charge for vacation time and to not allow free/discounted vacation time to families. This is the norm here.

I would never continue doing daycare if I didn't have paid time off. I feel very sorry for those providers who don't earn an income when they close or simply never close because they can't afford it.
lovemykidstoo 03:34 PM 11-14-2012
I do it that way because it seems to make the money balance better. I used to find myself in the same situation you mentioned, with parents conveniently having their kids home at certain times of the year and then I had shorted pay weeks etc. Tough to make ends meet when the money isn't consistent.

I also do not allow parents to use their free/credit days during any of my vacations or paid holidays. I also only give those free/credit days to full time families as I feel they "earned" it more than the part time families and they are also the ones I depend most on for income so I feel it is all part of the R+R-R=R+R system.

R+R-R=R+R means

Rules and Regulations minus Relationships equal Resentment and Rebellion
~ John Maxwell.

BEST advice I ever got. (well one of the best pieces of advice anyways)
I love that from John Maxwell!! I can't tell you how much more money I make now that I don't allow free/credit days. It is so nice to know that I will make X amount in a week instead of worrying if so many kids will show up. Wish I would have done it years ago. I think that's a great idea to only do it for full time families as well. I have an unique situation though. I'm only open 4 days a week. I only have 1 family that comes all 4 days. They actually are the only family left that I do give free days to. They started 4 years ago and back then I did that. I never took it away from them. I only give them 5 free days a year so it's not bad at all.
Mommy2One 05:53 AM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Where I live, all full-time employees are entitled to 3 weeks of vacation per year (after working for a company for 1 year; after 5 years you are entitled to 4 weeks)! Most of my parents have 4 (or more) weeks vacation.

In a two parent home, the majority of my families have 8 weeks (40 days!) vacation and 20+ days paid sick/personal time compared to the 15 I have. For me, it was a no-brainer to charge for vacation time and to not allow free/discounted vacation time to families. This is the norm here.
Are you trying to convince me to move to Canada?
Lianne 06:15 AM 11-15-2012
I get paid to be available to provide care during the times my families contract to need care. If I'm available to provide that care then I get paid for it, whether a family uses it or not. If I'm not available then I don't get paid. The only exception to that is Federal (statutory in Canada) holidays. If I'm paying taxes on my measly income and providing you with receipts so you can get a deduction, you bet I'm getting paid for the days the government tells me I don't have to work.
Country Kids 08:26 AM 11-15-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Where I live, all full-time employees are entitled to 3 weeks of vacation per year (after working for a company for 1 year; after 5 years you are entitled to 4 weeks)! Most of my parents have 4 (or more) weeks vacation. All of my parents use vacation time when we close (and most plan vacations when we close for ours - I send out a schedule each January so parents have time to plan) and are not double paying. Almost every child of mine is gone an additional 1-3 weeks per year during family vacation with parents... so I certaintly don't feel bad

I would never continue doing daycare if I didn't have paid time off. I feel very sorry for those providers who don't earn an income when they close or simply never close because they can't afford it.
All I can say is WOW!!!!

Most companies here=2 week vacation for the first 5 years, 1 week sick time (which can go so quick) and 5 holidays. Thats it-no more. My hubs worked for the same company 16/17 years=3 weeks vacation, 1 weeks sick time, 5 holidays and a so many hours personal time (not much). He rarely took vacation though because he was higher up and always needed.
littlemissmuffet 11:11 AM 11-15-2012
All I can say is WOW!!!!

Most companies here=2 week vacation for the first 5 years, 1 week sick time (which can go so quick) and 5 holidays. Thats it-no more. My hubs worked for the same company 16/17 years=3 weeks vacation, 1 weeks sick time, 5 holidays and a so many hours personal time (not much). He rarely took vacation though because he was higher up and always needed.
Yes, our Labour Standards Act is really excellent here. My dad and I were comparing to what he's offered in his province in regards to holiday pay, vacation time, etc and it wasn't nearly as great as what we get.
Because these standards are the norm where I live, I feel that I am entitled to them as well. I would likely do things differently if the area I worked/lived in did things differently
EntropyControlSpecialist 04:21 PM 11-15-2012
If we didn't get paid for our vacation time, we would have to get different jobs. This is our only source of income.
Unregistered 09:44 PM 11-15-2012
I take all the holidays that our local schools are closed along with 2 weeks (10days) of vacation, 5 sick days and 5 days of continuing education (conferences etc) all of which are paid. I allow my families to pay 1/2 of their weekly tuition when they go on vacation, but only one vacation a year, all other parent vacations are to be paid. They also cannot take their 1/2 week payment while I am on vacation. I also make it clear to all potential families what my vacation/holiday policy is. If they are unable or don't agree with it then they are welcome to obtain childcare elsewhere. A majority of families in my area move their child from home based care to a larger facility based preschool program when they are about 3.5-4yo and most all large facility based preschools follow the same type of vacation/sick policy as I do. I feel like I'm just prepaing them for the realities of preschool in our area.
Tags:paid holidays, paid vacations
Reply Up