Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>New Here
Thegrayghost1966 12:10 PM 06-04-2013
I'm new here but not new to being licensed to do daycare. It's been 10 years though. The last 5 1/2 I have worked in early childhood at a public school. I am planning to not go back to the school and become licensed again to only keep teacher's children.

I remember seeing, somewhere, a link to the average daycare fees for both centers and home but I can't for the life of me find the link or remember what website it is on. BTW, I live in Oklahoma. Trying to work out what my fees will be and etc.
Blackcat31 12:19 PM 06-04-2013
Welcome to the forum!

Here is a link to Oklahoma's child care provider rates
http://www.okdhs.org/NR/rdonlyres/2E...3D67/0/C4B.pdf
Thegrayghost1966 12:27 PM 06-04-2013
Thanks, that isn't the one I remember. It gave averages for the entire US broke down by state. Hmmmmmm?
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 06-04-2013
Child Care Aware of America did a study about the high cost of child care. the report lists the average costs per state and includes other factors as well.

Maybe that is the link you are looking for?

http://www.naccrra.org/sites/default...l_081012_0.pdf
Cradle2crayons 01:22 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Welcome to the forum!

Here is a link to Oklahoma's child care provider rates
http://www.okdhs.org/NR/rdonlyres/2E...3D67/0/C4B.pdf
Oh Em gee... I wish my state reimbursed that amount!!!!! Big sigh lol... They do like 10 bucks a day here.
Blackcat31 01:25 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Oh Em gee... I wish my state reimbursed that amount!!!!! Big sigh lol... They do like 10 bucks a day here.
Yes, your state is #1 for MOST affordable daycare costs.

Which means LEAST amount of income for providers.
Blackcat31 01:33 PM 06-04-2013
NO WAY I could survive on Tier 1,2 or 3 reimbursement rates for your state!

Wow!

(http://www.mdhs.state.ms.us/pdfs/eccd_policymanual.pdf) page 98 appendix N.
Cradle2crayons 01:35 PM 06-04-2013
Yes, your state is #1 for MOST affordable daycare costs.

Which means LEAST amount of income for providers.
Yes, exactly.
Cradle2crayons 01:37 PM 06-04-2013
NO WAY I could survive on Tier 1,2 or 3 reimbursement rates for your state!

Wow!

(http://www.mdhs.state.ms.us/pdfs/eccd_policymanual.pdf) page 98 appendix N.
No kidding right??????

It's horrible... That's what I was referring to about providers having to pay parents for keeping kids.... By the time you average out food, etc.

Also, they just went DOWN five bucks a child on all tiers.... Last month....
Blackcat31 01:48 PM 06-04-2013
Are you allowed to bill the parent the difference?

My state doesn't pay what I charge so the parent is required to makeup the difference.

Our state had a reduction in reimbursement rates too not that long ago. We are paid on 2 tiers. Providers who are licensed and providers who are either accredited or have at least a CDA certificate. The difference in reimbursement is 15%.

I see your state also has a steps to quality program for providers and in that system, you have the ability to do more and then I assume be paid more....(if I read that correctly). Is there not a benefit to being licensed where you are?
AmyKidsCo 06:15 PM 06-04-2013
I don't take state subsidized families anymore, but when I did the parents had to pay the difference between the subsidy and my rates. Our assistance is set up that way though, so the parents always have some sort of co-pay.

Oh - welcome to the forum, by the way!
mlb 09:39 AM 06-05-2013
I am brand new to the Daycare.com forum. Hoping to get some very interesting and useful tips on my daycare ideas, techniques, and/or issues! Nice reading all comments.
Michael 04:12 PM 06-05-2013
Originally Posted by mlb:
I am brand new to the Daycare.com forum. Hoping to get some very interesting and useful tips on my daycare ideas, techniques, and/or issues! Nice reading all comments.
Welcome to the forum.
Thegrayghost1966 07:43 AM 06-10-2013
Thanks for the welcome!
Cradle2crayons 08:31 AM 06-10-2013
Are you allowed to bill the parent the difference?

My state doesn't pay what I charge so the parent is required to makeup the difference.

Our state had a reduction in reimbursement rates too not that long ago. We are paid on 2 tiers. Providers who are licensed and providers who are either accredited or have at least a CDA certificate. The difference in reimbursement is 15%.

I see your state also has a steps to quality program for providers and in that system, you have the ability to do more and then I assume be paid more....(if I read that correctly). Is there not a benefit to being licensed where you are?
Yes, I can bill the difference and I do bill the difference. I used to be two tiers here but last month they changed it to three tiers for some reason. The quality program is a joke and is only available to those that are licensed.

No, licensing is a joke as well as is a money pit basically from what I hear those that license get some of the kick backs. It's all just as crooked as our government.

Also, if I'm licensed I can actually watch FEWER. when licensed, you can only have a total of five ENROLLED. That includes drop ins, etc. if unlicensed you can have as many as you want ENROLLED ON PAPER... Just no more than five here at any one time. Not including my kids.

Also, I'd have to do fencing and some other crazy stuff. We live 300 yards into the woods without neighbors for a REASON. There are other things that aren't feasible. But mainly because of the number enrolled thing.

I have THREE FULL TIME kids enrolled, and three drop ins officially enrolled. Of course I never have more than four at a time but a lot of my income is drop in and I don't want to lose that.

I am currently working on my CDA and that will move me into the middle tier but it isn't that much different in amounts. The centers get a good reimbursement though.
Tags:rates
Reply Up