Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Tdhmom's Avatar
Tdhmom Tdhmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 313
Default How Soon Is Too Soon To Raise Rates??

I started a new family this week. It's 4year old twins. They go to preschool at the school 3 hours a day. I walk them to and from preschool along with my 4 other littles. I messed up and didnt ask mom initially what her hours would be. And just said I would charge $11 a day/child when they have school and $17 a day when they don't. Thinking it would be roughly the hours I currently work. After I told dcm my rates, the littles who have been with me since I started (a year ago) gave me a raise so it bumped me up to $20 a day. They are with me from 7:50-4 sometimes 4:30.
Well the new twins are with me 7-almost 5. School is from 12:15-3. So they are with me 2 hours less than my regulars and paying WAY less. What's a good time frame to raise my rates since they just started? I know it's my mess up. So should I just stick it out? They'll be in kindergarten next year. Would it be ok to send out a letter in like November saying rates are going to increase in January and raise it to $15 school days and $20 on all day? They eat breakfast and lunch with us. The only thing they miss during school is nap and snack.
Any advice would be great! I don't like feeling like I'm loosing money. With the amount of groceries I have to buy I am not making much anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-30-2013, 12:22 PM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdhmom View Post
I started a new family this week. It's 4year old twins. They go to preschool at the school 3 hours a day. I walk them to and from preschool along with my 4 other littles. I messed up and didnt ask mom initially what her hours would be. And just said I would charge $11 a day/child when they have school and $17 a day when they don't. Thinking it would be roughly the hours I currently work. After I told dcm my rates, the littles who have been with me since I started (a year ago) gave me a raise so it bumped me up to $20 a day. They are with me from 7:50-4 sometimes 4:30.
Well the new twins are with me 7-almost 5. School is from 12:15-3. So they are with me 2 hours less than my regulars and paying WAY less. What's a good time frame to raise my rates since they just started? I know it's my mess up. So should I just stick it out? They'll be in kindergarten next year. Would it be ok to send out a letter in like November saying rates are going to increase in January and raise it to $15 school days and $20 on all day? They eat breakfast and lunch with us. The only thing they miss during school is nap and snack.
Any advice would be great! I don't like feeling like I'm loosing money. With the amount of groceries I have to buy I am not making much anyway.
Sorry I don't have any advice, but I saw that you said you spend a lot of money on groceries. Have you thought about getting on the food program? Every little bit helps kwim?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdhmom View Post
I started a new family this week. It's 4year old twins. They go to preschool at the school 3 hours a day. I walk them to and from preschool along with my 4 other littles. I messed up and didnt ask mom initially what her hours would be. And just said I would charge $11 a day/child when they have school and $17 a day when they don't. Thinking it would be roughly the hours I currently work. After I told dcm my rates, the littles who have been with me since I started (a year ago) gave me a raise so it bumped me up to $20 a day. They are with me from 7:50-4 sometimes 4:30.
Well the new twins are with me 7-almost 5. School is from 12:15-3. So they are with me 2 hours less than my regulars and paying WAY less. What's a good time frame to raise my rates since they just started? I know it's my mess up. So should I just stick it out? They'll be in kindergarten next year. Would it be ok to send out a letter in like November saying rates are going to increase in January and raise it to $15 school days and $20 on all day? They eat breakfast and lunch with us. The only thing they miss during school is nap and snack.
Any advice would be great! I don't like feeling like I'm loosing money. With the amount of groceries I have to buy I am not making much anyway.
I think you should say something right away. It is NEVER to early or late to change your rates.

I would give them a notice saying rates will now be $XXX as of October 1st. If mom questions it, I would simply tell her you are trying to stay competitive and on par with other providers and you were thinking the twins' hours would be a bit different so you are now raising their rate to better match the services you provide and their needs.

Walking them to and from school would be an EXTRA charge on top of my daily rate...not included.

ANYTIME I have a child present for lunch, I charge an entire day. If they leave before lunch or come afterwards, I will discount but if it includes lunch time, then I cant fill the spaces around them so they pay a full day rate, regardless of whether they are gone for a couple hours a day or not....they are still on YOUR watch...kwim?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdhmom View Post
After I told dcm my rates, the littles who have been with me since I started (a year ago) gave me a raise.
Can you explain this part a little? I am a bit confused....
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Tdhmom's Avatar
Tdhmom Tdhmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Can you explain this part a little? I am a bit confused....
I told the new dcm my initial rate of $17 a day. Then shortly after that my other dcm (whom I've watched her twins since I started a year ago) gave me an unexpected raise and started paying me $20 a day voluntarily because she loved having her kids here and told me I deserved to be paid more. Huge compliment! Well since then when I get new calls my new rate is $20 a day. But I feel bad going back on my word with new dcm since I told her $17 a day when I first spoke with her 2 months ago. Not knowing her hours (I'm new at this and should have realized that should be my first question!) so now I have the new twins being dropped off the earliest, leaving the latest and paying the least amount :-/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I think you should say something right away. It is NEVER to early or late to change your rates.

I would give them a notice saying rates will now be $XXX as of October 1st. If mom questions it, I would simply tell her you are trying to stay competitive and on par with other providers and you were thinking the twins' hours would be a bit different so you are now raising their rate to better match the services you provide and their needs.

Walking them to and from school would be an EXTRA charge on top of my daily rate...not included.

ANYTIME I have a child present for lunch, I charge an entire day. If they leave before lunch or come afterwards, I will discount but if it includes lunch time, then I cant fill the spaces around them so they pay a full day rate, regardless of whether they are gone for a couple hours a day or not....they are still on YOUR watch...kwim?
I LOVE that!!! Makes so much sense to charge a full day if they eat lunch here! THIS is why I this forum!
*sorry for the hijack!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 AM
NeedaVaca's Avatar
NeedaVaca NeedaVaca is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Middle
Posts: 2,248
Default

I would change the rate right away! you can't be making much $ if you charge $11 and provide breakfast & lunch. I would charge $20 per day per child
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 AM
BuildingBlocksHomeDaycare's Avatar
BuildingBlocksHomeDaycare BuildingBlocksHomeDaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Posts: 4
Default

We have experimented with different ways over the years. The way we do it now which I believe is the best for us... Is that each child's rate is grandfathered in for along as they stay (unless they change scheduled days). New rates only apply to the newly enrolled.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Moppetland's Avatar
Moppetland Moppetland is offline
Enjoy life
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Calumet City, IL
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingBlocksHomeDaycare View Post
We have experimented with different ways over the years. The way we do it now which I believe is the best for us... Is that each child's rate is grandfathered in for along as they stay (unless they change scheduled days). New rates only apply to the newly enrolled.
Just curious. What age group do you accept in for care?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Crazy8's Avatar
Crazy8 Crazy8 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,769
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingBlocksHomeDaycare View Post
We have experimented with different ways over the years. The way we do it now which I believe is the best for us... Is that each child's rate is grandfathered in for along as they stay (unless they change scheduled days). New rates only apply to the newly enrolled.
I've always done it this way too. I would never raise the rate on a family within a few months of them starting, its just not how I do business.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rate increase

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raise Rates Yearly? Or Lower When They're Older? LaLa1923 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 20 05-07-2013 01:41 PM
How Much To Raise Rates? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 03-12-2013 01:25 PM
When Should I Raise Rates? EchoMom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 06-29-2012 08:54 AM
When/How Often Do You Raise Your Rates? ecemom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 22 07-14-2010 10:29 AM
Do You Raise Your Rates? DanceMom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 03-05-2010 07:59 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:53 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming