Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>9 Week Old Infant
beachlovinmomma 09:39 AM 04-14-2010
I just starting keeping a 9 wk old infant and the first week she was an angel, the second week she has been having screaming fits that is unconsolable( when I called mom she said its from constipation), I have an 18 month old daughter and I feel like all this extra attention and screaming baby is taking away from her. Would you just tuff it out or call the mother to come get the child? I am in the process of getting my home licenced for daycare but this is giving me second thoughts.
missnikki 04:02 PM 04-14-2010
9 weeks old is so young, it could be so many things.
When you called mom and she said it was constipation, did she come pick her up early? I would definitely get on the same page with mom on that, and let her know that if she's inconsolable, she needs to be comforted at home and that once you have tried everything to ease her, you will call and expect her to get picked up. Don't let her get you down on the whole daycare licensing thing. They aren't all like that!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:12 AM 04-15-2010
9 weeks is young for constipation, especially if no diet changes. back in the day, ( my goodness I sound old, lol) a little white karo in a 2 oz bottle would let you know if that was the case. It could be a serious health issue. I would ask mom to have her checked out, maybe video an episode for the doc? If one week of a fussy baby though, has you rethinking this profession,... maybe your gut is telling your heart something important? Its hard to love our job, its hard to look at a baby who is no relation to you covered in poo or puke, screaming with a temp and see them for the beautiful angels they are. Its not an easy job thats for sure,... maybe your gut is telling you to get out before you invest more time, energy and love into something you really will hate? Or that will make you feel like you are letting your child down by not giving them the attention you want to? I promise not every baby is like this, I promise there will be months when things go great,.. and months when you want to crawl under the nearest rock. Sending you love and hoping things get easier for you.....
beachlovinmomma 09:12 AM 04-15-2010
thank u I appreciate that!
momma2girls 09:45 AM 04-15-2010
My middle child had constipation problems since she was born!!! We tried every different formula out there, and we finally tried the low iron- AMA of course, but it worked wonderfully!!! The baby can be having constipation problems, they need to try adding Karo syrup, there is also an over the counter laxitive drops you can buy, let me tell you what we tried everything- even down to mineral oil, and suppositories. Thand God she outgrew it!!! If a baby is constipated and has belly pain, it is miserable!!!! Our little one started a little bit of it, but we tried every formula as well- then we found similac sensitive for sensitive stomachs this is all it took. It was great!!! Now they have a similac R.S out, that worked as well, but it was new, and they just had the ready to feed, and was very expensive, but now they have the powdered kind of it out. Good luck!!
MN Mom 10:37 AM 04-15-2010
My oldest, too, had constipation issues from birth. I didn't breastfeed due to extreme pain, cracking, bleeding nipples. I tried many different formulas, and the one that did it for me was Carnation Good Start w/comfort proteins. I'm not sure if they even make it anymore, but WOW -- I used it for ALL of my children and they had minimal spitting up and their bowl movements were always normal.
jen 10:41 AM 04-15-2010
Ask Mom for some gas drops.
momma2girls 10:43 AM 04-15-2010
Yep, gas drops might work as well. They are definately worth a try!!
Tags:9 week old, screaming
Reply Up