Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update On The Caterpillar Situation
Patches 09:59 PM 04-28-2013
DS found another one outside of daycare hours He was very happy
S5031157.JPG
Attached:
Kaddidle Care 04:25 AM 04-29-2013
Glad he has a new "friend". There will be more.. many, many more.

Since he likes to pick them up you might want to seek out the "stinging caterpillars" in your area so that he avoids them. Some can feel like a bee sting so be careful.

Supposedly the gypsy moth caterpillars can sting too but I've never had a bad experience with them except for over population.

One year we had them so bad that it sounded like it was raining out - my neighbor said "oh you can hear them eating." Um... it's not eating you're hearing it's the other end. Everything was covered in caterpillar poo! EEEK!

BTW - here's a link to a site about stinging caterpillars. The photos are awesome - I'm sure your son will love this:
http://www.squidoo.com/stinging-caterpillars
Patches 05:32 AM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Glad he has a new "friend". There will be more.. many, many more.

Since he likes to pick them up you might want to seek out the "stinging caterpillars" in your area so that he avoids them. Some can feel like a bee sting so be careful.

Supposedly the gypsy moth caterpillars can sting too but I've never had a bad experience with them except for over population.

One year we had them so bad that it sounded like it was raining out - my neighbor said "oh you can hear them eating." Um... it's not eating you're hearing it's the other end. Everything was covered in caterpillar poo! EEEK!

BTW - here's a link to a site about stinging caterpillars. The photos are awesome - I'm sure your son will love this:
http://www.squidoo.com/stinging-caterpillars
I had no idea there was such a thing as stinging caterpillars. Thanks for the link. I looked at it and one of them looks like the one he was holing He didn't say anything, though.
Oh, the caterpillar poop story is funny but gross
preschoolteacher 07:28 AM 04-29-2013
That is one cool looking little caterpillar!

I was at Target recently and in their dollar section in the front of the store they have all of these little plastic "bug houses" where you can put one bug... the other end of it has a viewing piece with a magnifying lens in it, so you can peek in at the bug and see it magnified. A very cool purchase for cheap! It's also a fun way for kids who are too squeamish to touch bugs to still get a chance to look at them.

Although I wouldn't recommend letting the bugs stay in there for long if you want them to have a long life...
Kaddidle Care 07:37 AM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
I had no idea there was such a thing as stinging caterpillars.
I didn't either until one of the neighbor kids (home schooled) asked me "is that a poisonous caterpillar?" just before I was about to pick up an Io Moth Caterpillar. Needless to say we just looked at it and I didn't pick it up.

My son and I went home and educated ourselves a bit on the puter after that because my son was majorly into bugs.

Some are pretty obvious as they have little spikes that look like pine trees on them. Others.. look soft but must have spines in there.
Reply Up