Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bringing Gum To Daycare
Crazy Baby 08:34 AM 07-15-2015
Why on Earth would a parent think that it is OK to bring your 2 year old to daycare with gum in their mouth!? That is so not OK with me! Am I just being unreasonable here?
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy Baby:
Why on Earth would a parent think that it is OK to bring your 2 year old to daycare with gum in their mouth!? That is so not OK with me! Am I just being unreasonable here?
I do NOT allow gum. Ever. By anyone.

I've even asked parents to not enter chewing gum.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:11 AM 07-15-2015
Why does a two year old have gum??? My MIL is a dental assistant and would flip out if I ever gave my 2 year old gum? It can also be a choking hazard. Not cool!
Crazy8 09:24 AM 07-15-2015
I have seen this too - more often than not its because they won't say no to their child and god forbid the child cries for something - they automatically give it to them.
Play Care 09:36 AM 07-15-2015
One of the reasons I was so glad when my dcg left this last June. Came in several times with gum and I had to play the bad guy.

Really.
Crazy Baby 10:36 AM 07-15-2015
Is it worth it to ask them not to bring gum and open food or should I just not say anything and take it away from the child after the parents leave?
AliB 10:51 AM 07-15-2015
How about lollipops at 6:30am! Two at that. Then I take them from 2yo dcb and and next day he returns with more and states, don't take my lollipops! Why do parent think that's ok? As pp said, they don't want to make dcb cry. Ugh
AmyKidsCo 11:43 AM 07-15-2015
Cuz they don't think.

I've given up being upset about it, I just have the child hand over whatever it is when the parents leave.
mim 12:00 PM 07-15-2015
NO WAY!!!
No gum, candy, drinks, food etc.
my policies say " if your child arrives with xyz; you will need to get it from them and take it with you as you leave or you need to remain in the vehicle until it is gone and your child's mouth is empty. To prevent choking in my care"

I will not let a dcp laziness or fear of upsetting snowflake make me look like the bad guy. They let their kid have it, they get to take it away. Or they can go back to their car to finish it.
Only takes a time or two before they stop.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:02 PM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy Baby:
Is it worth it to ask them not to bring gum and open food or should I just not say anything and take it away from the child after the parents leave?
It is up to you, but I would tell them. If you don't want to say it to their face, just send a text after they leave and say "Hey I forgot to mention at pick up that I would prefer dck not bring gum or anything other food/candy when she comes in the morning! Thanks for understanding!"
Laurel 12:03 PM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Cuz they don't think.

I've given up being upset about it, I just have the child hand over whatever it is when the parents leave.

I did the same. Not worth getting wound up over.

Once I had a parent fill a baby bottle with iced tea! I just poured it out, washed out the bottle and put milk in it. Iced tea?

Laurel
midaycare 12:19 PM 07-15-2015
No. No no no no no no no.

I would make child spit it out.
crazydaycarelady 05:51 AM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by :
Gum
Gum is not allowed at child care, EVER. Gum has been found in dog fur, zippers, hair, and carpet. Parents who allow their children to come to child care with gum in their mouths will be charged the replacement cost for any items ruined by said gum.
I have this in my contract.
Baby Beluga 06:32 AM 07-16-2015
Never did I think a parent would allow their child to chew gum 1) in the car where they are not easily assessable in case of choking and 2) in daycare! I was wrong

My 3.5 DCG came a couple of weeks ago with gum in her mouth. DCD said "Oh, she has gum in her mouth - she just has to have it every time we are in the car." I told DCG to spit in in the trash that I don't allow gum here for safety reasons, smiled real big at DCD and told him to have a nice day. She has not arrived with it since.
sharlan 11:39 AM 07-16-2015
Crap stops at the door.

One came today with fruit punch. I poured it out onto the grass and handed dcm back the cup.

I do have one that comes in with a kale smoothie once in awhile. I let her drink it. She comes before everyone else so no one else knows she had it.
Tags:gum, gum policy
Reply Up