Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Give Notice to My Daycare Families
LeslieG 05:12 PM 01-02-2021
I've been closed because of covid and the holidays since Thanksgiving, so I have not really spoken to my daycare families much for a while. I'm going to be reopening on January 18th, but having all this time off has really showed me that I do not want to go back to my chaotic daycare days.

Here's a little backstory... my daycare partner left in September to take a teaching job. I was left with a full daycare to run on my own, along with caring for my 3 kids, one of which was my infant daughter. Also, we decided to do full-time distance learning with my 5 year old son. So I had (and still do) a lot on my plate! I became exhausted, burnt out, and unhappy.

I've decided that I'd like to go down to part time with some families, only working 3 days/ wk, and let some families go completely. This is really hard for me to do because I like all of my families, and I've been trying to help one family out in particular in any way that I could because they lost their newborn baby to SIDS in September. So I just cringe at the thought of telling any of my families... but I need to do it!

How would you give the news? Wait until I start back up in 2 weeks, or now? Of course I'll give them time to find alternate care.
Annalee 05:24 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
I've been closed because of covid and the holidays since Thanksgiving, so I have not really spoken to my daycare families much for a while. I'm going to be reopening on January 18th, but having all this time off has really showed me that I do not want to go back to my chaotic daycare days.

Here's a little backstory... my daycare partner left in September to take a teaching job. I was left with a full daycare to run on my own, along with caring for my 3 kids, one of which was my infant daughter. Also, we decided to do full-time distance learning with my 5 year old son. So I had (and still do) a lot on my plate! I became exhausted, burnt out, and unhappy.

I've decided that I'd like to go down to part time with some families, only working 3 days/ wk, and let some families go completely. This is really hard for me to do because I like all of my families, and I've been trying to help one family out in particular in any way that I could because they lost their newborn baby to SIDS in September. So I just cringe at the thought of telling any of my families... but I need to do it!

How would you give the news? Wait until I start back up in 2 weeks, or now? Of course I'll give them time to find alternate care.
When my mom (my helper) broke her hip a couple years ago, I told some families I could not keep their kids for 6-8 weeks. At about the four week mark, I let those families know I wasn't enrolling any more kids for a while and they needed to find permanent care. It was a blessing the way all this happened if anything good can come from a broken hip I went on later to fill those spots. Only one of those I let go ever called me back but I told her I still wasn't enrolling kids

Since you haven't been open for a while, I would let some know you are only opening back up for part-time and they will have a spot and let the others know you are opening up with some stipulations but will not be able to accommodate them anymore. More than likely some have already found care anyway. Good luck!
Cat Herder 06:51 AM 01-04-2021
Have they been paying to secure their slots the whole time you were closed?
LeslieG 08:00 AM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Have they been paying to secure their slots the whole time you were closed?
No they have not.
Cat Herder 08:10 AM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
No they have not.
Then I would just tell them the truth. You are overtasked and feel you cannot meet all of your responsibilities to the best of your ability this way. That you have to make some drastic changes to better meet your families needs.

If they don't understand that, they don't matter.
rosieteddy 07:03 AM 01-05-2021
I agree ,just tell them.Always remember they will do whats best for themselves and their families. You do what works for you and your family.
Tags:covid-19 - reopening, family first, giving notice, notice, reopening, self care, stress
Reply Up