Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Light Switch
MommyMuffin 06:54 AM 11-02-2010
Does anyone know of something I can buy for the light switches? They love to play with them and I am trying to conserve energy.
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 11-02-2010
My husband found these at Ace hardware. They were $1.00 each. It has a little opening on side so you can still access the switch if you need to.Attachment 122
DCMomOf3 08:05 AM 11-02-2010
ooohhhh. I NEED those.
mac60 09:16 AM 11-02-2010
Interesting little contraption.....but to me it is very frustrating that providers have to go to this extreme on things. No touching means no touching. There was a day when no meant no.
Luna 10:11 AM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Interesting little contraption.....but to me it is very frustrating that providers have to go to this extreme on things. No touching means no touching. There was a day when no meant no.
My thoughts exactly. I purposely have some harmless, indestructible things out that aren't to be touched, just because I believe kids need to know that just because they can reach it doesn't mean they can touch it.
TGT09 10:25 AM 11-02-2010
Yep, this! It is hard when the child is not taught this at home though so it becomes us as providers issue at our house. I do believe children need to learn that they can't just touch anything and everything.
Blackcat31 10:54 AM 11-02-2010
Sadly, this is in my entry way. I do not have these on the switches in my daycare. Just in the entry way...you know the place where parents are suppose to moderate the child's behavior.. LOL!!
Luna 11:14 AM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sadly, this is in my entry way. I do not have these on the switches in my daycare. Just in the entry way...you know the place where parents are suppose to moderate the child's behavior.. LOL!!
Lol, ah yes, No Man's Land...where there are no laws!
DCMomOf3 11:30 AM 11-02-2010
For me its in my stairwell leading to the daycare room, which they are just tall enough for. There is a learning curve with everything and it's my young toddlers that I have to keep from touching them not my preschool age and up, they know to not touch.
mac60 12:48 PM 11-02-2010
I know how you feel....we have a 2 light switch inside our front door...it is wired to 2 outlets in the room , which means that if the switch on the left is switched, the tv will go on/off, I have a piece of strapping tape over it because I have 2 yr olds that will go over and play with the switches, the right switch is the porch light. It just pisses me off that parents will stand there and let their kid flip it on and off, that is when a patty smack is warranted, especially when the word NO does no good.
kidkair 03:12 PM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by Luna:
Lol, ah yes, No Man's Land...where there are no laws!
In my daycare I reprimand the child if they are doing something wrong even if they are in their parent's arms. When something is not allowed in my daycare it's not allowed.
SilverSabre25 03:26 PM 11-02-2010
But you see mac, the word "no" has to backed up with action on the grown-up's part until the young child learns what it means. "No touching the light switch" accompanied with removing the child from the area (or picking them up, or whatever) accomplishes a HECK of a lot more than "No don't touch that" repeated 50 times. It's called "teaching"--where you do more than talk at the kid. Before too long, the child actually learns what "No" and "Don't touch" mean and then a simple, "No touch, please" does the trick. But the adult has to put in some effort first to help them understand.
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:40 PM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
But you see mac, the word "no" has to backed up with action on the grown-up's part until the young child learns what it means. "No touching the light switch" accompanied with removing the child from the area (or picking them up, or whatever) accomplishes a HECK of a lot more than "No don't touch that" repeated 50 times. It's called "teaching"--where you do more than talk at the kid. Before too long, the child actually learns what "No" and "Don't touch" mean and then a simple, "No touch, please" does the trick. But the adult has to put in some effort first to help them understand.
That's true, but if Mac's anything like us at our daycare, we can tell them that all we want and remove them EVERY time we see them doing it, but some kids STILL refuse to listen to "no". We could spend all day with things like that, removing them and telling them no touch on the light switches, feet on the ground (or no climbing, whatever you use to keep your kids from climbing), and removing them from the outdoor fence that they all love to climb as fast as a monkey, and no matter how many times you tell them and remove them, they still do it again in 5 minutes, or the very next time we go outside. Same thing for sitting and standing on the child sized tables... Seriously, I feel like a broken record repeating the same thing everytime they do it, and then like a robot removing them so many times. But it STILL doesn't help, no matter how many times we do it.
SilverSabre25 06:12 PM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
That's true, but if Mac's anything like us at our daycare, we can tell them that all we want and remove them EVERY time we see them doing it, but some kids STILL refuse to listen to "no". We could spend all day with things like that, removing them and telling them no touch on the light switches, feet on the ground (or no climbing, whatever you use to keep your kids from climbing), and removing them from the outdoor fence that they all love to climb as fast as a monkey, and no matter how many times you tell them and remove them, they still do it again in 5 minutes, or the very next time we go outside. Same thing for sitting and standing on the child sized tables... Seriously, I feel like a broken record repeating the same thing everytime they do it, and then like a robot removing them so many times. But it STILL doesn't help, no matter how many times we do it.
This is true; there are some it doesn't work for. Nothing is one size fits all. And that's when the best solution is to get something to just take away the entire problem. Saves everyone the stress and annoyance.
mac60 06:12 PM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Oh Gosh, I know this, my whole point. Goes back to what I have said all along with teaching/learning when it comes to bad behaviors/doing things they shouldn't. There needs to be a consequence for the bad or wrong behavior, whether, in this case, removing them, TO, or pop the patty gently. The word NO is just a noise that means nothing to most little ones.
Abigail 06:24 PM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My husband found these at Ace hardware. They were $1.00 each. It has a little opening on side so you can still access the switch if you need to.Attachment 122
Wow, I've never seen those before! Wonder if they come in cute designs, lol, I want cute outlet covers since daycare in only in the basement. Currently, we have tape over the main light switch and one next to the changing table (depends on which way you lay the child if they can reach it). It works, but doesn't look nice. I will have to look for these sometime. Thanks for sharing the photo!
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 11-03-2010
Here is a link to another switch lock to keep your light switch on.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HJD9KM/...linkCode%3Dasn

If you scroll down the page it will show 2 or 3 different types of switch locks and where you can get them at.
JenNJ 07:10 AM 11-03-2010
I make sure the parents control the kids in the entry way. "DCM, I don't allow the kids to touch the light switches." Then mom removes the child. It works, believe me.

And I would never remove something bc a child won't leave it alone. That child learns not to touch by being told no and made to sit, not playing, if he doesn't listen. Every time the child doesn't listen, they need to be removed from the group.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:20 AM 11-03-2010
I agree, I wish I could post a pic of my entertainment center on here, its low, I have my reciever, blue ray, uverse box under the tv on a shelf, my wii on another with a picture frame, my x box 380, on another with a candle, my sony on another with a big rock, and a candle and basket. The kids know NOT to touch it. period. they just dont. It takes a bit for them to learn but if I place them in a pnp for a minute every time they touch it, it takes maybe 5-6 times for them to realize ,.. no touchy.

and holy poop,.. I just realized,... we have a lot of video games. lol. can you tell I have a teenage son??? lol not only do we have the ps2,.. but the original playstation too,..lol
Reply Up