Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Can't They Let Kids Be Kids?
SilverSabre25 12:13 PM 03-07-2012
I let the kids stomp in an enormous puddle of water on my patio yesterday. They had a BLAST! Splashing, stomping, jumping, making footprints...it was great. I had to coax one little 3 yo into jumping but once she did, you can't even imagine the look of unbridled joy on her face! (I also taught her to pedal a tricycle the same day).

Well, at pick-up, her mom yelled at her for her boots being soaked. These are stupid fashionable boots with fabric uppers that the kid can barely run in! She has been wearing them all winter. "WHY are your boots wet? Were you playing in water? That is NOT okay!"

I explained that I let them jump in a puddle on the patio and was trying to explain about how much FUN they had and mom cut me off, saying directly to dcg, "NO MORE STOMPING IN PUDDLES! Your boots are SOAKED!"

I felt like sticking out my tongue at her! It was a puddle of water...dumped out of a toy box on the porch. It wasn't muddy. It was *water*. They jumped, they splashed...they are CHILDREN.

WHY?????

(I mean, it doesn't entirely surprise me...this is the child that is dressed in the dumbest clothing for an active, playful, potty-training child, fussy stuff that is hard to manage...but still. Good grief, get a clue, folks! I let the kids play! She's been here for two years you should KNOW that by now!)
Francine 12:17 PM 03-07-2012
I use to have a Mom that would send her little girl in all kinds of frilly stuff, white sundresses in the summer etc. Those were the days that we went outside to roll in the grass I told her and told her so she knew what I expected so I didn't feel bad about getting her clothes dirty.
Ariana 12:24 PM 03-07-2012
That sucks I hate parents like this!! I always tell the parents to send their kids in clothes that can get dirty and muddy. I also tell them that we go outside and JUMP IN PUDDLES so good boots and a one piece rain suit is what they should be wearing if they don't want them to get wet. This mom obviously has bizarre expectations
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 03-07-2012
I had my share of parents like that too.....now I have a special section in my PHB that talks about things like that.

I make sure they understand before signing on that we DO play in the rain, we DO make mud pies, we DO dig in black dirt and we DO all kinds of things that most parents wouldn't dream of letting their kids do.

I make sure I tell the parents I do it so they don't have to....

Ooooh, now I can't wait until our snow starts melting a bit more and we have mud and puddles!
Soupyszoo 12:26 PM 03-07-2012
That's sad! Poor little girl was just having fun
AmyLeigh 12:32 PM 03-07-2012
I have one mom who sends her son in clean, white shoes, with an extra pair for when he goes outside. He basically changes shoes as soon as he comes in and wears the grubby ones all day. Then, changes back before pick up time. Whatever makes her happy, huh?
Oneluckymom 12:33 PM 03-07-2012
My yard has mud at times and there are puddles after heavy rains in other parts of my play area.

I tell parents from day one...your child WILL get dirty and their shoes may come home with mud at times (although I try to keep them clean) I can promise you. So dress them to come and play.

They always start out bringing them looking "nice" and then when they come home dirty they start bringing them in play clothes.

Your poor little girl. I hope her mom changes her tune and eases up on her
SimpleMom 12:34 PM 03-07-2012
Oh no! That's awful. Man, she really would have been quite upset at me today (lol). My boys went and SAT in a MUDDY puddle!!! Not just wet boots, but socks too!!! But they had a BLAST and were safe and warm.

Tell Mom to bring rain gear and old boots for splashing in.

Poor kiddo. Way to push her down

All of my families are just fine with it at this time. I have had very few that have been irritated by the messy stuff.

Sorry that happened---good thing that little gal has you to give her some fun kid-friendly times!
SimpleMom 12:36 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I had my share of parents like that too.....now I have a special section in my PHB that talks about things like that.

I make sure they understand before signing on that we DO play in the rain, we DO make mud pies, we DO dig in black dirt and we DO all kinds of things that most parents wouldn't dream of letting their kids do.

I make sure I tell the parents I do it so they don't have to....

Ooooh, now I can't wait until our snow starts melting a bit more and we have mud and puddles!
I have this too. I am very upfront with them in my handbook, at the interview, and periodically throughout the year It helps a lot.
MrsB 12:38 PM 03-07-2012
Oh Silver you are soooo right! This is one of those issues that makes my blood boil!

First, of all I would have called the mom later and asked why you would get mad at the poor little girl for something you allowed her to do. So the little girl is supposed to tell her daycare provider. "No I can't do that my mom wont let me" Really? If she has an issue with something that happened while you were in charge then she needs to come to you!

Secondly, I also would have highlighted to her in the contract where I have that they come to daycare in PLAY clothes that may get water, paint, or dirty. If you want them in nice clothes/shoes when they leave. Bring them with you, I have a bathroom you can use to change in!

Thirdly, I would have WANTED to say, this is a daycare where we have fun and explore new things, SAFELY. If you want a daycare that bubble wraps kids and they sit all nice and pretty in pretty clothes, this isnt the place for your child!

Good thing your not me! You would probably have one less enrolled child.

Poor you! Poor little girl! Sorry don't think I am coming off on you harshly! This is one of those things that fires me up. And they wonder why so many kids these days have sensory issues, dont know how to drink out of normal cups, can't stand to have a little dirt on their hands, etc. I could go on forever.

Exiting soap box now! Phew that felt good!
daycare 12:39 PM 03-07-2012
I make parents bring extra clothing for when we have crazy dirty messy days.

I can't stand it when they show up in all white clothing...makes me want to let them find the biggest mud puddle and jump in.....hahah jk

I so hear you on what you are saying. Just like the others, I had to add it to my PHB.

NOw if I could only come up with an easier way to wash the kids up so that they can all come back in for the day and still be clean enough to return to the daycare room...

Monday we went to start our farming and gardening project and we were so dirty I had to change everyones clothes and we all stunk soooooo bad...GROSS
Kaddidle Care 03:27 PM 03-07-2012
This reminds me of a picnic we had - oh some 15 years ago. It was summer and we were at a local park and a sudden unexpected rainstorm came. It was one of those storms that lasts 15-20 minutes but totally douses everything.
We hung out in a covered picnic table area while the rain came down.

As a result, there were flooded areas in a field and the kids went out after the storm and started jumping and splashing and having a wonderful time. They were even running and sliding into it on their bellies - oh what fun! Mud? Yes, Dirt? Yes! Water YES! The experience was priceless! We Moms were in stitches watching them.

I felt so bad for the one child who's mother refused to let him get wet and he watched wistfully while his friends had so much fun. We tried and tried but nobody could convince her that it was worth the mess for the fun they had.

Too bad that this Mom sounds the same way.

I've never been one of those Moms that insisted on having my kids pristine. Perhaps it was because I had boys. Do I dare show you the picture I took of my 2 after I caught them digging and pouring dirt on top of each other? They looked like sad little orphans - of course I had to take a picture before I threw them in the shower. LOL
Hmorsag 03:46 PM 03-07-2012
I would totally make the mom bring and extra set or two of "mud approved" clothing - the kid shouldn't be punished for the mom's style issues.

I also keep extra clothes on hand (old hand me downs and re-sale shop stuff) for little instances like this. The parents always comment when their kid comes home in my clothes because they are far from fancy or stylish or the crocs may be a size too big. But they are clean and the kids don't care.

I had one parent out right refuse to bring in extra clothes -- one day I sent their son home in pink sweat pants because he had an accident in his regular clothes -- next day I they brought two extra outfits for him.
Bookworm 04:46 PM 03-07-2012
We had a mom get mad because her kid had a shoe full of sand. The shoes in question-Crocs. You know the shoes with holes on the side and the back open. We can't win with this family. Even his extra clothes are top dollar.
Hunni Bee 05:56 PM 03-07-2012
My kids go home with green knees and muddy shoes every day. And I live in an area where kiddie designer wear gets a LOT of play. And I don't care. I'm not going to restrict their outside time. I take care of kids, not clothes.

I mean, I don't let them pelt mud at each other. But, I mean, if they crawl through the tunnel twice, their pants are shot. If they run through a puddle, their shoes are going to get dirty. Sorry, moms.

I used to care, and do a lot of unnecessary laundry, too. But I stopped when I had the absolute worst kid of my life. I threaten to quit over this child. He would wear a Ralph Lauren polo shirt, sweater or button-down, often white, nearly every day. And his mother would insist that we keep it clean. Soo, along with keeping him from punching, kicking, spitting on and cursing at me and the other kids every second, I had to keep his clothing spotless too? Nahhh, sister. And she would definitely complain if I didn't.

After that, I let em play. If its horrible, (black paint, swam in the spaghetti, etc.) I'll change them and rinse it, but other than that...I let kids be kids.
melskids 05:09 AM 03-08-2012
I tell my parents from the beginning (at the interview) how it works here....I even show them pictures.

http://mountaintopdaycare.blogspot.c...r-daycare.html

They KNOW what their choices are. Send them in crappy clothes or suffer the consequences.

Now, I am more than willing to work with parents. I make sure they are cleaned and changed before pick up. If they have somewhere to go right after work, I will make sure to put their nice clothes on before they get here.
Meyou 05:24 AM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
I tell my parents from the beginning (at the interview) how it works here....I even show them pictures.

http://mountaintopdaycare.blogspot.c...r-daycare.html

They KNOW what their choices are. Send them in crappy clothes or suffer the consequences.

Now, I am more than willing to work with parents. I make sure they are cleaned and changed before pick up. If they have somewhere to go right after work, I will make sure to put their nice clothes on before they get here.
This and Mel, I your daycare.
Daycare Diva 05:27 AM 03-08-2012
I believe in kids being kids as well but I would not want my kids stomping in water puddles with their shoes on. That what they make rain boots for. Clothes are expensive and sometimes mud and grass stains don't come out. Play clothes or not I still would like for the clothes to look decent. A child will get dirty just through the course of outside play, that I don't mind, but purposely sitting and rolling around in mud or slopping through rain puddles would not be okay with me.
melskids 05:37 AM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
This and Mel, I your daycare.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Daycare Diva:
I believe in kids being kids as well but I would not want my kids stomping in water puddles with their shoes on. That what they make rain boots for. Clothes are expensive and sometimes mud and grass stains don't come out. Play clothes or not I still would like for the clothes to look decent. A child will get dirty just through the course of outside play, that I don't mind, but purposely sitting and rolling around in mud or slopping through rain puddles would not be okay with me.
That is why I STRESS the importance of sending in clothes and shoes that can STAY here.

There are 3 types of clothes. Dress clothes, play clothes, and clothes for Melinda's house.

They can find them at yard sales and thrift stores, usually for .25 cents a piece. If it is a financial burden, I will supply them.

I can't imagine NOT letting them jump in puddles, roll in the mud, or painting their whole bodies with fingerpaint.
MrsB 05:53 AM 03-08-2012

Especially the one with the John Dear tractor worker! So stinkin cute!
Daycare Diva 05:57 AM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
Thanks.

That is why I STRESS the importance of sending in clothes and shoes that can STAY here.

There are 3 types of clothes. Dress clothes, play clothes, and clothes for Melinda's house.

They can find them at yard sales and thrift stores, usually for .25 cents a piece. If it is a financial burden, I will supply them.

I can't imagine NOT letting them jump in puddles, roll in the mud, or painting their whole bodies with fingerpaint.
I hadn't thought of getting the clothes from the thrift store yeah I wouldn't mind a .50 cent pair pants getting dirty. That changes eveything I like the idea of keeping inexpensive clothing at the house for extra messy activities.
countrymom 06:02 AM 03-08-2012
sadly, its not the daycare kids that get dirty it MY OWN children, esp. the 7 and 9 yr old. Omg, if parents saw what those two monkeys do, the would be in horror, OOPS wait, their children are usually with mine, thats why we live in the country.

don't parents realize thats how memories are made. wait till they see all the cool stuff I plan for this summer (thanks to pintrest) I'm so excited, I know my own kids are going to have fun.

I would let her play again and again the in the puddle, my house my rules lol! what she doesn't realize is that further down the road, her dd may have issues.
Countrygal 06:15 AM 03-08-2012
One of my favorite memories as a kid was being at a friends house about this time of year. We played in a little stream, breaking through the ice into the water that was just a few inches deep. It was a warm sunny day and we had a blast!

Kids and water just go together! To keep them apart is sacrilegious! I tell my parents that they WILL get wet and dirty! I live in the country, though, so it is easier to accept.
sharlan 12:22 PM 03-08-2012
My eldest goes through a bottle of Shout pretreater every week. (She's an OCD germaphobe.) I don't care how dirty/muddy/wet/sandy the kids get when outside. If necessary, they all strip down before coming into the house. We wash up and put on clean clothes.

I agree, I wouldn't want to put a messy child into his carseat, but that's what extra clothes are for. If there's no extra clothes, then strip him down to diapers or undies.
Reply Up