Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Screaming Infant. Need Advice Please
bbbrooklynsmommy 02:36 AM 03-29-2013
Hi all. I am in dire need of some advice. Yesterday i started watching a new family inside my home. The youngest is eight months old, shes never been to a babysitters so she screamed when her mom left. Completely understandable.. However she never let up on the screaming. She screamed for eight hours straight she would not eat or take a bottle. Did not nap. I did everything i could think of to comfort her . Playing, rocking, holding, etc. her mom said she has no comfort items. Does anyone have any advice? Im a patient person but i perfer not to listen to screaming all day again. It drains you and makes for a long day! And not enjoyable for my other children!
Michael 03:07 AM 03-29-2013
Welcome to the forum. I placed some TAG on the bottom left that may have some threads that will help.
blandino 05:24 AM 03-29-2013
Honestly, I have had a number of those. It is just going to take time for her to adjust. In January we had a 8 mo old DCB start, and for the first 3-4 days he cried all day, wouldn't take a bottle on the first day, and wouldn't take baby food from us for a week. He too, had never been out of his mother's care.

I would say it is perfectly normal, and to give the baby some time to adjust. That is a really hard age to begin daycare - as seperation anxiety is just about to / setting in.

I wouldnt worry too much about the bottles, offer them to her - and when she is ready & hungry enough, she will take one. I would carry on with your normal routine and she will adjust. But it wouldn't hurt to ask the parents specifically how he takes her bottles at home. Sometimes if a child is used to laying on the floor and drinking a bottle, and you Are giving it to them while holding them - it can really throw them off. But chances are it was just because you were a stranger and her environment was different than the one she has had for her entire life.

We have had children who have taken 3-4 weeks to get through that adjustment period. Usually they are a little older (16-20 month range), I think because he is so young, it will be a quick adjustment.
Tags:crying - all day, infant - crying, screaming, separation anxiety
Reply Up