Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Other Providers Vitamin D Deficient?
Unregistered 08:54 AM 05-28-2015
I started my daycare at the beginning of the year and have noticed progressive weakness, fatigue and muscle pain among some other symptoms. I started thinking it could just be the career and change from a desk job to a physically demanding job. After several lab tests, we have found I am severely vitamin d deficient. I'm waiting to hear back from the doc on what our course of treatment is going to be but was wondering if any other providers have been through this. If so, any advice? How long did it take to feel somewhat normal again given the demands if this career?
Play Care 09:23 AM 05-28-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I started my daycare at the beginning of the year and have noticed progressive weakness, fatigue and muscle pain among some other symptoms. I started thinking it could just be the career and change from a desk job to a physically demanding job. After several lab tests, we have found I am severely vitamin d deficient. I'm waiting to hear back from the doc on what our course of treatment is going to be but was wondering if any other providers have been through this. If so, any advice? How long did it take to feel somewhat normal again given the demands if this career?
YES!!!! Last year I went to the doc and complained of extreme fatigue, mental fogginess, etc. I was constantly getting sick. It was awful.

The only thing they found was that I was severely vit D deficient. They started me on supplements and I noticed a difference within a few days of taking it. That said, the Dr. only called for 1,000 iu's of the supplement and I accidentally picked up the 2000 iu bottle. But, I've read that there is a huge problem with the research on vit d deficiency and that we may actually need more than what's currently suggested - especially those of us in the frozen north. I try to eat more foods rich in vit D (tuna, salmon, cheese, eggs) and I rarely use sun screen when out (I will when I plan on being out for extended periods, but on a day to day basis, I don't) I do wear a hat to shade my face. I also use weight training to increase my muscle mass/bone density as vit d deficiency is linked to brittle bones.

As for making time, I always make time for me. I'm not one to brag about never using a sick day or how I haven't gone to the doctor in years, etc. If I'm not feeling my best, I can't be my best, KWIM?

Hope you feel better soon!
NightOwl 10:05 AM 05-28-2015
Me! And b12. My Dr recommended the 2000 iu's for D and the sublingual drops for the b12. You can pick them up anywhere for cheap. I noticed a difference within just a few days.
Heidi 10:31 AM 05-28-2015
Here, too. Which is funny because we are always outside. But, I guess your body doesn't make it as well when you're older.

I take 2000 IU's per day. I was up to 8000 for a short time, just to bump it up. Mine was actually self-diagnosed, but I did confirm it with a lab test.

In my case, bumping it up to 8000 IU's netted almost immediate results. I call them my "magic pills". When I forget for a few days or a week (like when we were moving and settling in), I started feeling like crud again. I also sleep WAY better and wake up refreshed now. When I don't take it, I ache a lot and can never, ever lay in bed for a few minutes, which really makes cuddling with DH on Sunday mornings impossible.
Kabob 11:18 AM 05-28-2015
I was anemic even as an infant, which followed me into adulthood.

If I don't take my supplements, I get extremely exhausted and just struggle to function.

I find it weird since I eat a balanced diet, exercise, am at the correct weight, and get outside daily...my doctor chalks it up to genetics.
AuntTami 11:44 AM 05-28-2015
I've never been diagnosed but reading this thread makes me wonder! I'm always exhausted, and sore and have never known why. Maybe That's my problem! I'm never outside unless it's with the kiddos and I stand in the shade.... Hmmm
Annalee 11:47 AM 05-28-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
Me! And b12. My Dr recommended the 2000 iu's for D and the sublingual drops for the b12. You can pick them up anywhere for cheap. I noticed a difference within just a few days.
I have always been anemic....genetic thing...but my dr makes me take a B12 shot monthly...she says my body doesn't do what it is supposed to with a pill??? Vitamin-pills make me sick so I take a cup of Kefer and mix with fruit/7-up/frozen yogurt, etc (whatever I choose for the day) and drink a smoothie each day. It is a probiotic drink and it makes a huge difference for the positive when it comes to energy.
Conoad 12:18 PM 05-28-2015
I am. I take 10000 iu once a week. Easier for me to remember. I take a prescription gel cap because it doesn't upset my stomach. My insurance pays for it. I've been taking it for a year and am finally bumped back within normal range.
Heidi 12:25 PM 05-28-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I've never been diagnosed but reading this thread makes me wonder! I'm always exhausted, and sore and have never known why. Maybe That's my problem! I'm never outside unless it's with the kiddos and I stand in the shade.... Hmmm
I did a little research of my own, and it seems the numbers doctors say are in the normal range are a little low. So, you can go get a blood test and see where you're at, or, you can just take 4000 IU's for a week, and see if you feel better. Once your level is where it should be (presumably when you feel better is a good gauge), you can go down to 2000 IU's.

There doesn't seem to be any danger in taking too much Vitamin D, although you should certainly do your own research (this is my not-a-doctor-disclaimer). If in doubt, call and check with your doctor.
Unregistered 12:36 PM 05-28-2015
Thank you all, I was really beginning to doubt this was the career for me as I thought that was maybe causing my symptoms, but hopefully I can get my levels bumped back up to normal range and start feeling better soon. I heard back from the doctor and she wants me to take 10,000 IU daily and recheck levels in three months. Funny thing is that I get outside even more than now in my old career, so it makes me wonder how low my levels maybe actually were and how long the symptoms have been going on before I really started to notice them.
AuntTami 12:49 PM 05-28-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I did a little research of my own, and it seems the numbers doctors say are in the normal range are a little low. So, you can go get a blood test and see where you're at, or, you can just take 4000 IU's for a week, and see if you feel better. Once your level is where it should be (presumably when you feel better is a good gauge), you can go down to 2000 IU's.

There doesn't seem to be any danger in taking too much Vitamin D, although you should certainly do your own research (this is my not-a-doctor-disclaimer). If in doubt, call and check with your doctor.
I think that since it isn't gonna hurt me to just take the supplement, I'm just going to and see how I feel. I hate the doctor lol.
AmyKidsCo 01:30 PM 05-28-2015
My doctor said that because I live in WI I need to take Vitamin D year-round because we don't get enough sun here, even in summer. Someone told me their doctor said that even if she sunbathed naked every minute the sun was up in the winter she still wouldn't get enough sunlight.
AuntTami 03:17 PM 05-28-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
My doctor said that because I live in WI I need to take Vitamin D year-round because we don't get enough sun here, even in summer. Someone told me their doctor said that even if she sunbathed naked every minute the sun was up in the winter she still wouldn't get enough sunlight.
That's exactly what I was thinking. There's no way I can be getting enough since I do live in Wisconsin.
Heidi 06:13 PM 05-28-2015
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/
AmyKidsCo 06:42 PM 05-28-2015
4,000 IU? Guess I'd better bump my intake up. I actually started taking more because I was told it would help prevent PMS "insta-b*tch".
Unregistered 08:02 AM 05-29-2015
Were any of the rest of you extremely irritable when you were deficient? I don't know if it's just the adjustment to the career change or my group who just doesn't listen to me or clean up anything or if it's the deficiency, probably a combination of all three? I just want to be myself again, I hate feeling this way

Don't worry, I am very good at not letting the kids know I'm irritable, but I feel bad for my poor hubby as I've been so short with him
christine19720 10:23 AM 05-29-2015
I am/ hopefully was slightly deficient in vitamin d also. I am hoping the multivitamin will help with this. It was a first for me!
Febby 11:00 AM 05-29-2015
I don't think I've ever been tested for vitamin D deficiency, but my doctor checks my B (both B6 and B12) levels whenever I go in. I take supplements for them, but my levels are still usually at the lower end of normal. I guess B vitamin deficiencies are common in people who don't eat wheat (or gluten), although I'm not sure why since I'm think rice flour (and rice flours is a common base for alternative flour blends) is higher in B6 than wheat flour.

But I'm generally pretty fatigued so maybe I should add in some more vitamin D and see if that helps.
crazydaycarelady 12:05 PM 05-29-2015
I have this too but have always attributed it to the fact that we live under cloudy skies all winter. It usually clears itself in spring. I multi-vitamin would probably really help you.
Heidi 11:49 AM 05-30-2015
Most multi-vitamins and Vitamin-D enriched foods do not have enough vitamin D to even make a dent in a deficient person. Taking a broad supplement won't do much, and eating/drinking more dairy will just add calories. So, unless you're too thin, I'd go with the straight D.
AuntTami 06:51 PM 06-01-2015
I just picked up a bottle of vitamin d3. Did I get the right thing? Lol
Learning Daycare 07:23 PM 06-01-2015
I'm severely vitamin D deficient. My doctor actually told me that it has been linked to depression as well. This may be something for those of you who suffer from depression to look into.
LysesKids 04:33 AM 06-02-2015
D3 is correct, however your body won't absorb it right unless you take K2 also. I found that you also have to be picky about brands because of the fillers... turns out I can't take certain ones due to allergic reactions
Heidi 10:41 AM 06-02-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I just picked up a bottle of vitamin d3. Did I get the right thing? Lol
yes...
Tags:vitamin d, vitamin suppliments
Reply Up