Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Family Flaking Already!
Dsquared 06:49 AM 05-02-2016
Hello ladies,
I finally filled my opening with a newborn baby. They seemed like a great fit! They agreed to everything in the contract. From the very beginning though, they were late picking up but I let that slide because the mom said her hours would get better in June. Last week she told me that they would be going out of town for the weekend so her daughter may not be here Friday (of last week). She said it is always a last minute decision when the go so she would let me know. Well her dad picked her up thursday and said she would most likely be here in the morning. Friday morning I sent out my usual reminder text that payment is due today for next week. Well I get a text from the mom that says "sorry for the last minute but we ended up going out of town and I will pay you Monday" Well it's Monday and I have not heard from them. I sent a text to both parents and they did not respond. Im wondering at this point if they are even returning. If they do I want to make sure to let them know that they need to communicate better and that my contract states that if you are not here on payday payment is due before you leave. I have not had to deal with annoying families in a while. I want to nip this in the bud though!!
Ariana 07:28 AM 05-02-2016
I would send them a friendly but firm email outlining my policies. Let them know that termination will follow if they are not able to get it together. Then when you do see them, ask if they saw the email and discuss it face to face if possible. I personally like emails because I can say what I need to say and parents can read it and remember it better. It is also a good record to keep that you have discussed it.

I had a parent like this recently and had to nip it in the bud. They did get better when I sent them an email and got really firm with their BS.
NightOwl 08:16 AM 05-02-2016
Has the baby arrived yet? Maybe they stayed an extra day. It sounds like they simply may not know the logistics of how daycare works. I know you provided them with the info, but who's to say if they actually read it?

I think an email is a good idea, explaining that payment for the following week is due on the last day of attendance for the current week. So if they're out on Friday, they need to pay on Thursday.

If it's a last minute trip, then they need to swing by your house and stick it in the mailbox or something before leaving. I'm sure they would be pi$$ed if their boss went out of town on Thursday night without cutting their paychecks first. Same difference.
Dsquared 08:28 AM 05-02-2016
She finally responded. It was very short though. She basically said sorry for the last minute and that her daughter will not be here today but will be in tomorrow. I sent her a firm text restating my policies and letting her know that late payments are something I just refuse to deal with. She is very familiar with daycare policies because her older daughter goes to the same preschool that my girls went to. They have a strict late fee policy. I took on her friend who will start next week with her new baby. Now i am wondering if she is going to be an issue too!
MunchkinWrangler 11:13 AM 05-02-2016
I don't understand "last minute???" Did she acknowledged that you texted her first because that is no notice not last minute notice, if I read that right.

Eek! What a nightmare, honestly. I hate being the afterthought of a client's actions.
Tags:absent days, payment - drop box, payment - due date, payment issues
Reply Up