Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Children of Principal’s
Ac114 09:18 AM 07-02-2018
I know some of you like teacher families (if you have all teacher families) and then some of you loathe them. I’ve never had to deal with a teacher family but I had an interview with a potential family whom the mom was a principal. She only has the month of July off and obviously every school holiday/vacation scheduled time off throughout the year. She has 2 Little’s ones and one on the way which I did not know about until the arrived. I don’t do infant care. She’s willing to pay half the price of childcare during July to hold their spot and pay for the holidays they are off but I just don’t want to do infant care. The baby wouldn’t enroll until feb so I would have to hold a spot until then so that adds another obstacle. What are your thoughts? They didn’t seem overly crunchy where they expected all kinds of special but things could change once they are enrolled. I’m just not sure what the right call is. I need an outsiders perspective.
hwichlaz 09:33 AM 07-02-2018
That’s too many eggs in one basket for me. Pair that with not wanting to do infant care....
Cat Herder 09:51 AM 07-02-2018
She wants to hold three slots at half price for one month a year?
MyAngels 10:18 AM 07-02-2018
The fact that you don't want to do infant care would be enough for me to turn them down. 3 kids from one family is also problematic when they leave. The fact that she's "willing" to pay half to hold a spot is laughable. Like she can dictate to you. Ha. Ha ha. Yeah, no.
CityGarden 12:39 PM 07-02-2018
Is she asking you to do infant care?

I only taker children 2+ and two of my families just had infants neither expect me to take the infants....
Ac114 01:08 PM 07-02-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Is she asking you to do infant care?

I only taker children 2+ and two of my families just had infants neither expect me to take the infants....
She is asking me to do infant care. It caught me off guard or I wouldn’t have entertained the interview. The baby is due in December and would start attending in feb.
LysesKids 01:17 PM 07-02-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
She is asking me to do infant care. It caught me off guard or I wouldn’t have entertained the interview. The baby is due in December and would start attending in feb.
I would pass; don't change your program to accommodate her just because she has older kids that fit with the program. It's not worth it... I've lost potentials because I do under 24 months only and would not accept an older kid, oh well. Parents pick my program for a reason
Ac114 01:23 PM 07-02-2018
I was heavily weighing in on passing them but wanted an outsiders perspective. It’s hard to judge sometimes. Thank you guys for all your input!
LysesKids 03:16 PM 07-02-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
I was heavily weighing in on passing them but wanted an outsiders perspective. It’s hard to judge sometimes. Thank you guys for all your input!
Now I have had parents enroll their infants & sent older siblings to another childcare or Montessori; It's happened about 4 times in 10 years... when you have a parent whose child ages out & still wants you use you for the 2nd baby a year or two later, it says loads. In fact I have a pregnant mom that requested a spot less than 2 weeks after the older child aged out... great family, won't turn them down because they know the rules
Ac114 06:58 AM 07-06-2018
UPDATE: I got back with the family and said that I would need payment for the month of July to hold the spots and couldn’t accept the baby until 1 year of age. I can have 12 children per licensing and planned on hiring an assistant at the end of the summer. 12 children were out of their comfort level but I should have figured when they were super salty that their previous provider only had their kids until she found a teaching job. She promised another year of childcare but then found a job at a local private school in our area and couldn’t pass up the offer. Her kids could attend for free saving 12,000 in tuition a year but they couldn’t understand why she chose the teaching job over doing childcare for just their kids. I really dodged a bullet!
e.j. 08:10 PM 07-07-2018
Yes you did!
Tags:teacher's children, teachers as clients
Reply Up