Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:04 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Hair Accessories Policy?

Do any of you have a rule about hair accessories? I have a few parents that put barrettes or ponytails in their toddler’s hair and they’re constantly pulling them out and they get left on the floor and becomes a choking hazard for the younger ones. I’m fine with her accessories as long as the child wearing it isn’t one that takes them out.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
Do any of you have a rule about hair accessories? I have a few parents that put barrettes or ponytails in their toddler’s hair and they’re constantly pulling them out and they get left on the floor and becomes a choking hazard for the younger ones. I’m fine with her accessories as long as the child wearing it isn’t one that takes them out.
That's my rule.

If the child leaves them in and doesn't mess with them, it's fine. I do ask that parents not use those teeny tiny little barrettes as they are purely decorative and not actually functional.

Lately I am lucky is a parent combs their kids hair...
Old 04-29-2021, 08:07 AM

I banned hair accessories and provide small plastic bands. I show the x-ray to the parents to explain why.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

In my parent handbook, I ask parents not to use hair accessories because they present a choking hazard to the younger kids in care. The parents tend to forget and I get tired of constantly having to remind them about the policy.
Now I just remove any "hair toys" that look like they could be a problem as soon as the kids walk in. I hand them back to the parent at the end of the day.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:20 AM

My only rule for hair accessories is that they keep them in their hair. If they pull them out they go into their mailboxes to go home. I don’t mind putting a barrette or a clip back in but I don’t have the time to rebraid hair.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:59 AM
Daycare.com Member

BC seriously. Was just thinking about making it a policy that hair needs to be clean and out of faces. we were doing a messy project and I went to pull dcg's hair back and it was CRUSTY. *gag*

I have the same policy- it stays in or I take it out.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:33 AM
Daycare.com Member

Hair accessories are a pain! I think a policy for this is a fantastic idea!!! My parents put the tiny clear rubber bands in and then my littles take them out during nap which freaks me out.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
BC seriously. Was just thinking about making it a policy that hair needs to be clean and out of faces. we were doing a messy project and I went to pull dcg's hair back and it was CRUSTY. *gag*

I have the same policy- it stays in or I take it out.
This is the child’s daily look
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9E098A60-CBC7-4F32-9AA7-6B1DE87F8076.jpeg (2.96 MB, 51 views)
Old 05-05-2021, 12:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Oh my
Old 06-15-2021, 08:02 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have two daughters, and both of them have Rapunzel hair. I use accessories for their braids or flowers if they have a birthday party in the neighborhood. Our rules is leave them on their hair until I pull them out.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
OMG are you serious? That poor child. If they can't even comb her hair, what else are they not doing? So do you brush it everyday?
Old 07-19-2021, 12:47 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
OMG are you serious? That poor child. If they can't even comb her hair, what else are they not doing? So do you brush it everyday?
If she brushed it every day, they definitely never would. It would then be expected of her. Group providers don't have time to clothe, bathe, and comb. Those are parent responsibilities. This would annoy the daylights out of me. If it were me, I'd probably pull it into a quick pony. Hair accessories are not shared though so the pony would become hers. If it was an ongoing thing, I'd add the cost to their invoice.

I allow hair accessories unless they remove them or I know they are likely to remove it. Then I set them aside to be collected at pick-up.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:49 AM
Daycare.com Member

Tell parent they need to wash her hair or not have care. That's lazy and neglect

Tags
hair accessories, hair clips