Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Scary
nikia 04:12 AM 11-23-2010
I cannot wait until the 4 day weekend. I find it scary how excited I am about this like maybe its time to find a different job. After one family came this morning with no diapers changed and no money that was owed since friday I just really need a break. She assures me that she will pay at pickup but its really tiring to keep bugging these people about paying me. Then my children said to me last night that they wish I didn't do daycare that they were tired of sharing their house and mom. Breaks my heart. Hoping that after a long break we all will feel refreshed and ready to go.
AfterSchoolMom 04:16 AM 11-23-2010
I hear you. I question my choices all the time...especially weeks like this one when it takes almost a week to receive my pay from last week.

I just try to remember that if I worked out of the house, I wouldn't be able to be with my kids every day. I DO plan to get an "outside" job, but not until mine are older.
nikia 04:32 AM 11-23-2010
So glad I'm not alone lol not that I like other people being taken advantage off too. My youngest just started kindergarten this year so I don't have my own kids during the day anymore. So that may be part of my problem too. I feel like I am raising some of these kids and always being walked on. Like I just had a dcg dropped off an hour early without notice. Ugggg its just one of those days I guess lol.
countrymom 05:20 AM 11-23-2010
I just need a break, I bend over backwards for these families and I didn't take any time off in the summer so I feel like I just need to get away from other peoples children
nikia 06:09 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I just need a break, I bend over backwards for these families and I didn't take any time off in the summer so I feel like I just need to get away from other peoples children
I feel for you. I have never taken time off except for the major holidays. Two years no vacation what is wrong with me
MyAngels 06:15 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by nikia:
I feel for you. I have never taken time off except for the major holidays. Two years no vacation what is wrong with me
I did the same thing when I first started out, and questioned all the time whether I was doing the right thing with my life. It wasn't until I regularly started scheduling time off from the daycare that I really started actually looking forward to and appreciating my job.
AmandasFCC 06:16 AM 11-23-2010
Oh I hear ya honey, 100%. I haven't taken anything but a couple extra long weekends this year (extended them to a 4 day weekend instead of a 3 day weekend) and I am exhausted. I feel like I have nothing left for the children and that's scary to me. Even my own dd is starting to suffer because I'm just so tired So I decided I'm taking the week after Christmas off, going out of town to my in-laws and letting them dote over my daughter while I soak in their hot tub for a week lol
nikia 06:17 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I did the same thing when I first started out, and questioned all the time whether I was doing the right thing with my life. It wasn't until I regularly started scheduling time off from the daycare that I really started actually looking forward to and appreciating my job.
Maybe that is what I need to do. I love the kids, I think its the parents that drive me more crazy
kitkat 06:30 AM 11-23-2010
I cannot wait until the 4 day weekend. I find it scary how excited I am about this like maybe its time to find a different job. After one family came this morning with no diapers changed and no money that was owed since friday I just really need a break. She assures me that she will pay at pickup but its really tiring to keep bugging these people about paying me. Then my children said to me last night that they wish I didn't do daycare that they were tired of sharing their house and mom. Breaks my heart. Hoping that after a long break we all will feel refreshed and ready to go.
I think it's completely normal to be excited about a long weekend. Today is my last day with kids for the week and I can hardly wait! There's no school tomorrow so I get the day with just my own kids. Don't feel bad about looking forward to a long weekend...we need those breaks to recharge.
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I agree! When I first started out, I actually let everyone make me feel bad for taking time off. Once I started drilling into my own head that these children BELONG to someone else and I deserve to take time off did I realize I felt 100x's better about doing childcare. Now, I schedule holidays off and I even toss in a personal day when needed, like after a bout with green snotty noses everywhere. I refuse to allow the parents to make me feel guilty. They try, but I just tell them that my job is a lot tougher than theirs and I deserve time off. If they disagree with my job being tougher than theirs I will usually say something like, "Well, if you don't think so, how come I had Timmy yesterday and you were off or why didn't you pick Timmy up at 3 when your shift ended instead of waiting until closing?" It usually puts them in their place or atleast makes them think and makes me feel better. Once I decided to just do what I am going to do, it is easy to convince yourself that it is better for everyone!
Gurdy 07:15 AM 11-23-2010
Are you charging late fees? I let the late fees slide for a long time with one particular family when I first started dc. They NEVER paid me on time, then I felt like every week, it got worse because I let it slide for so long w/o charging fees. I did not feel comfortable talking to her in person because there was always someone else here dropping off or picking up at the same time she was here. One morning I finally just called her at work and explained that I counted on her payment being here on time every week and that I had waived all her past late fees, but this week she had to add those fees to her payment- $10 a day. She paid $30 in late fees that week and was never late again. In fact she started paying me early.

We as dcp NEED time off from work. Have a great 4 day weekend!
MommyMuffin 07:22 AM 11-23-2010
I have only been at it 1 month and I am super excited to have a few days off!! And I only have 4 kids!!
I am so excited to have a few extra days off...I just feel like there is not enough room and I cannot keep up with the mess and each day my house is getting destroyed....I pray for the day my husband will finally finish the basement for daycare.

There are a lot of hardships to this job...but I dont want someone else raising my children so I will do this no matter what.

What I tell myself is as long as the kids and I are safe and happy everything is fine. And for you to stay happy and safe, YOU need time off.
Take it off, dont feel bad, and say I MUST have my payment NOW!
safechner 07:31 AM 11-23-2010
I know how you feel. I feel the same way. Yesterday, my daughters and I went to Wal Mart to buy the groceries since I am off all this week. My 8 years old daughter asked me a lot of questions about my daycare and she asked me last question when I will quit doing daycare. I answered her question, I will stop doing daycare end of July 2011 and I will find a part time job. She felts bad for those kids but I told her dont worry we will be fine. I will be home before the girls get home from school. She seems so happy to be with her mother again.

Last night, my husband loves me when I feel so calm and I cook the dinner right on time and spend time with my family. He said he will support me no matter what that if I need to stop doing daycare right now but I told him I would wait a little bit longer until we pay off all of our bills to be debt free by July. He seems fine with it.
nikia 07:46 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
Oh I hear ya honey, 100%. I haven't taken anything but a couple extra long weekends this year (extended them to a 4 day weekend instead of a 3 day weekend) and I am exhausted. I feel like I have nothing left for the children and that's scary to me. Even my own dd is starting to suffer because I'm just so tired So I decided I'm taking the week after Christmas off, going out of town to my in-laws and letting them dote over my daughter while I soak in their hot tub for a week lol
That sounds like heaven. ENJOY!!!!
nikia 08:02 AM 11-23-2010
I am so glad I am not alone. I really am feeling like a jerk because I am so excited but it seems like most of you take time when you want and need. I so need to learn to get a backbone.

I did tell them mom she has to pay today at pickup or I will not watch them. I was shaking the whole time
Tags:backbone, job change
Reply Up