Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Planning on Closing
Unregistered 09:20 AM 12-17-2010
I have decided that it's better for my family if I close my daycare. My problem is I don't know how to do it. I have 4 families with mulitple kids (or one child and are currently expecting another). Daycare slots are hard to find in my area and I am feeling super guilty. That and we just renewed contracts effective Jan 1. My newest family I've had for a year and they all love me so it makes me feel that much worse.

I'd love some advice on how to go about it, how much time to give, etc. I don't want to hurt them, but I just need to have an end in sight, for me and my kids.
laundrymom 09:27 AM 12-17-2010
I wish you luck, I dont have an answer for you,... I already have fears on when I stop and I still have a good 20 years to go.
marniewon 10:05 AM 12-17-2010
I am facing the same thing, although it's not a true closure, as I'll still be doing daycare, but I'm moving out of the area and will be starting all over again. We bought a house (out of the area) in September that needs major renovating. We thought we would have it done by the end of Dec, but now it looks like spring before we move. When I thought we would be moving at the first of the year, I was going to give notice around mid-November. I felt that 6 weeks was enough time to find another caregiver. I also know a few other dcp's in the area, and plan to give them their names also. At this time, I know the other dcp's are mostly full, but it's a start. Also, if you have a referral service in your area, make sure to give them that number also. Since daycares are scarce in your area, you might want to give them 2 months. Seems like a long time now, but it does give you an end in sight.
Unregistered 10:42 AM 12-17-2010
For the record, I AM a regiestered user but my families know of this place because I've told them. I don't want them finding out my intentions before I am ready to tell them personally.
MyAngels 11:01 AM 12-17-2010
I think if I were planning on closing I would put together a packet with information on other home based providers in the area, daycare centers, and any local referral services that are in your area. I'd probably include an article on how to find a good daycare fit (I know they've done it before, but it never hurts to refresh this information). I'd also include a letter stating my reasons for closing and the date you will be closing and letting them know how much you've enjoyed knowing their children and thanking them for their business.
jen 11:02 AM 12-17-2010
Personally, I would give no less than 30 days notice, 60 if you can manage it.

As for feeling guilty, well, people quit their jobs and move on every day. It will be sad and inconvenient for them for a very short time. To continue to do something that doesn't work for your family is sad and inconvenient every day for as long as you choose to continue. Without a doubt, they would choose their family first, and so should you. There is no reason in the world to feel guilty.
Lucy 06:04 PM 12-17-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I think if I were planning on closing I would put together a packet with information on other home based providers in the area, daycare centers, and any local referral services that are in your area. I'd probably include an article on how to find a good daycare fit (I know they've done it before, but it never hurts to refresh this information). I'd also include a letter stating my reasons for closing and the date you will be closing and letting them know how much you've enjoyed knowing their children and thanking them for their business.
Love this idea. Makes it look better that you put a lot of thought and time into helping them with their transition.

I would do 8-10 weeks notice, and I might even tell some of them on the sly that if they're having trouble finding someone, you're willing to go a little longer. At least it might ease your guilt.

My problem would be whether I would just put it in a note and let them read it at home without saying anything, or hand them the note and tell them briefly what's going on verbally. I always feel silly giving a note when I spent 2 or 3 (or 10!) minutes talking to them at pick-up. It's like they'd be thinking "why didn't she just verbally tell me?"
Tags:close daycare, job change, notice of closure
Reply Up