Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper Rash ??
Jack Sprat 11:36 AM 10-21-2013
DCB who is 19 months has a horrid looking diaper rash. DCM mentioned she was putting Desitin on it but, didn't bring any and said he wouldn't need it. But, the rash is looks more like open sores. Small roundish sores on his upper thighs and bum area and hips. He whines a bit when I change and wipe him with a wipe. So I started using warm wash clothes and drying him after.

When he first started he was on Amoxicillian for a diaper rash, I had no idea they gave that for a rash..Could this be something else?
NeedaVaca 11:46 AM 10-21-2013
Could be a yeast infection? If that's the case diaper rash creams won't work. He would need one specifically for yeast infection and I would give him lots of yogurt too.
clep 12:39 PM 10-21-2013
I use Milk of Magnesia. Diaper rash is often caused by acid in the urine and feces. Even when wiped clean, the acid remains on the skin. I put the magnesia on the rash area and leave it for half an hour. Then I go back and put a zinc oxide cream on them. At the next diaper change I do it all over again. It has worked every time.
Scout 01:39 PM 10-21-2013
For really bad ones I put wet tea bags(minus the strings of course) in their diaper over night and it dries it up if it is just a normal bad rash. It wouldn't work with the yeast infections.
jenboo 01:44 PM 10-21-2013
sounds like a yeast infection. I just had a little boy with the same symptoms. Sounds like he needs to go to the dr to get the correct cream.
Leigh 02:29 PM 10-21-2013
I agree that it sounds like yeast. You can suggest they try an athlete's foot cream like tinactin or lamisil on it.
coolconfidentme 02:47 PM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by jenboo:
sounds like a yeast infection. I just had a little boy with the same symptoms. Sounds like he needs to go to the dr to get the correct cream.
I have a little baby girl with a yeast infection. She is on amox & a RX cream, the poor thing.
tratliff 07:01 AM 10-22-2013
It does sound like a yeast infection, and just to clarify, antibiotics don't treat yeast. Antibiotics kill bacteria, including the good bacteria, and the absence of the good bacteria can lead to yeast overgrowth. Probiotics and foods with them like yogurt can be helpful for restoring the bacteria in the gut. With the rash being that bad, my son would definitely go to the doctor for a special Rx cream to kill the yeast.
Cat Herder 07:23 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I agree that it sounds like yeast. You can suggest they try an athlete's foot cream like tinactin or lamisil on it.
^^^ (miconazole) After a quick soak in baking soda + bath water. Pat dry with cotton cloth (or super soft paper towels), no rubbing or diaper wipes until healed.
MotherNature 07:41 AM 10-22-2013
Sounds like yeast. In the meantime til they get meds for it, try coconut oil if you have some.
Jack Sprat 11:26 AM 10-22-2013
I do have coconut oil. I am going to ask dcm about rash tomorrow. Also going to ask her if its yeast...
Tags:amoxicillian, diaper rash
Reply Up