Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Letter S and Sunflower
kcnjason 08:53 AM 04-18-2012
For all of you expert home childcare providers out there. Would you provide an example of what you would do for a week knowing you were doing the LETTER "S" and the theme of SUNFLOWERS? Maybe after examples I can finally pull something together on my own. Would you give me examples of what you would do Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur and Fri PLEASE
daycare 09:19 AM 04-18-2012
Originally Posted by kcnjason:
For all of you expert home childcare providers out there. Would you provide an example of what you would do for a week knowing you were doing the LETTER "S" and the theme of SUNFLOWERS? Maybe after examples I can finally pull something together on my own. Would you give me examples of what you would do Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur and Fri PLEASE
Letter S..

We would go to the store
slide down the slides
soak up the sun
sing songs
silent reading
plan a surprise party
sleep under stars
stamp different sizes
stack blocks
spray colored water paints
stomp our feet to silly songs/music
stand on one foot
Pretend to be snakes
plant sunflower seeds
sail a sailboat in a creek

Ok, I need my morning coffee I can give you more later
kendallina 09:28 AM 04-18-2012
I would get some real sunflowers at the store (and maybe sunflower seeds) and some magnifying glasses and scissors and let them cut them apart, talking about some of the parts of a flowers while they do that. Maybe read Tiny Seed (Eric Carle book). After they explore the sunflowers, maybe have them glue the sunflower pieces to a large S that you cut of out construction paper (or that they did if they're old enough).

Plant sunflower seeds.

Make a list with the older kiddos on all the words that start with S. Act out the animal ones. Have them pretend to be a Seed in the ground and grow into a Sunflower.

Set up the dramatic play area as a flower shop, with silk flowers, vases, cash register, empty pots, gardening gloves, etc.

Hope that helps!
daycare 10:05 AM 04-18-2012
Originally Posted by kcnjason:
You can also go on a walk and point out everything that starts with the letter S

snails
store
sprinklers
swing set
sidewalk
and etc
kcnjason 10:25 AM 04-18-2012
Thanks! Appreciate those ideas
Countrygal 08:48 AM 04-19-2012
Add to other ideas:

Plant sunflowers and watch them grow. Track their weekly progress by height and description

Lots of snacks with sunflower seeds. I even saw a cookie recipe once!

Compare unshelled sunflower seeds to shelled

Look at all the different types of sunflower seeds in the store (or better yet buy different types - raw, salted, unsalted, in-the-shell, etc.

Paint a sunflower.

Cut out pictures of sunflowers from magazines and make a poster.

Make a poster of how a plant grows.

Learn the simple parts of a plant using a sunflower poster or picture.

Introduce compound words: sun + flower with illustrations

OK, that's it off the top of my head.

Thought of one more - make a trail mix, 1/2 WITH sunflower seeds (lots of them) and 1/2 without the seeds. Compare the flavor. Who likes which better and make a graph.
Reply Up