Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Dressed For Winter Play, Help!
preschoolteacher 11:25 AM 11-12-2014
I have six kids all under 2.5 years. We played outside in the snow every day last year, and I don't remember it taking this long to get the winter gear on... But I had fewer kids, one who could dress herself, and toddlers in one-piece zip up snow suits which really saves time.

We have snow here already, and all week getting dressed to go out has consistently taken 30 minutes. I'm efficient! These kids really just can't do any of it on their own.

What do you do during this process? The kids dressed first are screaming or bouncing off the walls having to wait 30 minutes.

I can't have books or toys for them to play with since we put on mittens first, then coats. They can't do anything with mittens on. And I can't put mittens on last because it's basically impossible and the mittens just keep falling off outside if I do that.

I'm thinking TV. We don't watch any. But I can't think of anything else!
Kabob 11:36 AM 11-12-2014
My secret is routine.

We go outside right after breakfast/snack so while they are eating I line up all their gear according to child. Then when everyone is ready, I tell them it is time to go outside and have them sit by their respective pile of gear ("sit and wait please" rinse and repeat as I put them back in their spot if they get up). Then I have the older kids work on putting on some of their gear ("put on your pants") while I work on the youngest child first. Then I finish helping each child put on their gear. I put on the gear in the same order each time and then each child is asked to sit and wait. I sing songs, ask them to play "I Spy", and ask them to count things or find colors while they sit and wait.

I got it down to 2-3 minutes per child with my 5 kids under 3 years old. I timed myself today. I plan to beat my record tomorrow. I'm a little rusty...
CraftyMom 12:06 PM 11-12-2014
No advice, but I agree that the one piece snow suits are sooo much easier for the kids to do themselves and quicker, I had 3 in them last year and 2 in snow pants and coats. I think I'll hint at one pieces this year
therov 12:11 PM 11-12-2014
We don't have as much snow as you do, but I struck upon a good idea one winter with younger ones and more snow than usual: Snacktime.

I dress the kids' bottom halves during morning snack and head out to play afterward. Boots and pants take the longest, so being able to rotate them away from the bench one by one to do that is easier on me and they have their snack to distract them the rest of the time (use Cheerios, raisins, and other foods that take longer to eat!). Snacktime isn't so long that they're super-roasting at the end, and then you just have mittens, jackets, and hats left for everyone.

Just make sure the toilet-trained ones use the bathroom before snack, or you lose any advantage you just gained.
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 11-12-2014
My secret.... everyone does everything at the same time and no one moves on until we are ALL ready to move on.

First we start with snowpants. EVERYONE puts their snowpants on.

If you are done before your friends, find a friend that needs assistance or wait until we are ALL ready to move to the next step.

Then we move to jackets. EVERYONE puts their jacket on.

If you are done before your friends, find a friend that needs assistance or wait until we are ALL ready to move to the next step.

Then we add our boots. EVERYONE puts their boots on.

Then we move on to mittens/hats. EVERYONE puts their mittens/hats on.

Then I come along and will assist everyone with tucking, buttoning, zipping, fastening and adjusting.

Then we ALL head outside together.

Takes about 15-20 minutes TOPS...and I have 10 full time kids every day ages 10 months to 4.5 yrs

Most days we do this twice. Sometimes more.

HTH
Heidi 12:15 PM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
No advice, but I agree that the one piece snow suits are sooo much easier for the kids to do themselves and quicker, I had 3 in them last year and 2 in snow pants and coats. I think I'll hint at one pieces this year
Can toddlers move in those? I always thought the 2 piece were more pliable, maybe? It's been a long time since I've had toddlers in snowsuits though. They were all still babies last winter and we hardly even got outside for 3 months.

I am keeping an eye out for tips here. Our fall routine hasn't been too bad. First everyone gets socks and shoes, then long socks up to their armpits as mittens. Then, a round of coats, and a round of hats, then they "waaaaaiiiit" while Heidi gets slip-on shoes and a coat on. Then I say "okay, everybody UP!" and we go out.

Adding real mittens, boots that'll probably fall off one by the time I get to the end, snow pants, and all that on me as well, and I'm a bit scared. Oh, and I have a new baby, too. I don't even know how I'm going to do that one.
Heidi 12:16 PM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My secret.... everyone does everything at the same time and no one moves on until we are ALL ready to move on.

First we start with snowpants. EVERYONE puts their snowpants on.

Then we move to jackets. EVERYONE puts their jacket on.

Then we add our boots. EVERYONE puts their boots on.

Then we move on to mittens/hats. EVERYONE puts their mittens/hats on.

Then I come along and will assist everyone with tucking, buttoning, zipping, fastening and adjusting.

Then we ALL head outside together.

Takes about 15-20 minutes TOPS...and I have 10 full time kids every day ages 10 months to 4.5 yrs

Most days we do this twice. Sometimes more.

HTH
HTH...not Hope that helps...it's HOW THE HECK? As, in how the heck are you still sane?
Blackcat31 12:24 PM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
HTH...not Hope that helps...it's HOW THE HECK? As, in how the heck are you still sane?
.....wait!! Are implying that I was once sane?!?

I knew I was missing something

Heidi 12:48 PM 11-12-2014

Unregistered 12:52 PM 11-12-2014
I have no advice but big hugs your way!

I am absolutely dreading the getting ready for winter
SignMeUp 01:23 PM 11-12-2014
Our routine is similar to BlackCat's - we kind of get dressed layer by layer. For me, that eliminates the toddler who I've gotten fully dressed, who then fully undresses by the time I have the next toddler dressed.
And don't forget "The Daycare Flip" when having children dress themselves!
Stand by the neck (I used to say hood, but some jackets don't have hoods)
Put your two arms straight in (into the sleeves, yes, with the coat upside down)
Then FLIP! (bring the jacket up and over your head, keeping your arms sliding into the sleeves)

Probably everyone uses it, but just in case ...
CraftyMom 01:57 PM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Can toddlers move in those? I always thought the 2 piece were more pliable, maybe? It's been a long time since I've had toddlers in snowsuits though. They were all still babies last winter and we hardly even got outside for 3 months.
The ones I've had here were soft. I know what you mean though, some outdoor gear is stiff or crinkly. Either way the toddlers can't move much
Josiegirl 02:41 PM 11-12-2014
Oh my I'm getting anxiety just reading all the posts. So far we haven't had snow but even without the snowpants involved it still takes me 15-20 minutes and that's just 4 dcks under 3. My problem is I haven't got them trained to stay in one place yet, let alone one room. Then the 2 1/2 yo who wants to do everything herself even though she can't. She'll stand there and try her zipper for 15 minutes and by that time all the toddlers have lost their mittens and hats.

AuntTami 03:02 PM 11-12-2014
We have a "specific time frame" that we are outside, so if it takes everyone extra long to get dressed, that just means less outside time... Granted, I don't actually have a specific time frame, but the older ones think that I do so they don't dawdle when they're getting ready because they don't want to miss out on any outside play! Fortunately I only have 1 FT toddler, and one PT itty bitty infant, so it depends on who is here that day as to how much of a headache it is to get everyone dressed! Last week we were out in coats, hats and tennis shoes....This week we need coats, hats, gloves, boots, and snowpants....I HATE WINTER!
Jazminsdaycare 03:09 PM 11-12-2014
yikes?
what do you guys do when they have to go potty?
I know they all probably go before the suit up,
but there is always that one child that has to go no matter where you are or what you are doing

my hats off to all you brave gals
e.j. 04:51 PM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by Jazminsdaycare:
yikes?
what do you guys do when they have to go potty?
I change the diaper and then start the process all over again because usually, while I'm changing that one kid's diaper, the other kids are stripping off all of their winter gear. I dread the coming winter and snow and am already looking forward to next spring!
BumbleBee 07:58 PM 11-12-2014
I have a collection of snowpants, mittens and gloves that I picked up from a thrift store. This week, before the snow hits, I've put all of those items in the house area. For whatever reason the kids LOVE putting the stuff on for dress up play and it gives them practice at the same time!

I also love BC's method. Something I've done in the past with all youngers (16 kids ages 14 months-2 in my class with 3 'helpers') was get everybody into snowpants and mittens/gloves and hats in the playroom then boots and coats right before we went outside. That way nobody got too hot waiting for everybody else. Though I'm going to try BC's method this year since 3 of my 6 can dress themselves (when they want to)
SignMeUp 08:44 PM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
I have a collection of snowpants, mittens and gloves that I picked up from a thrift store. This week, before the snow hits, I've put all of those items in the house area. For whatever reason the kids LOVE putting the stuff on for dress up play and it gives them practice at the same time!

I also love BC's method. Something I've done in the past with all youngers (16 kids ages 14 months-2 in my class with 3 'helpers') was get everybody into snowpants and mittens/gloves and hats in the playroom then boots and coats right before we went outside. That way nobody got too hot waiting for everybody else. Though I'm going to try BC's method this year since 3 of my 6 can dress themselves (when they want to)
This reminds me of a few years ago. I can't quite remember why, but it worked for that group. As kids got up from nap, they pottied or got changed, then put their snowpants right on, before snack. They ate snack, then put on jackets and gaiters and hats. Then out to the porch for boots & mittens.
Maybe ALL of my kids had snowpants that year, as opposed to some in snowsuits.
daycarediva 06:00 AM 11-13-2014

I should print that out and put it in the daycare room.

Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Our routine is similar to BlackCat's - we kind of get dressed layer by layer. For me, that eliminates the toddler who I've gotten fully dressed, who then fully undresses by the time I have the next toddler dressed.
And don't forget "The Daycare Flip" when having children dress themselves!
Stand by the neck (I used to say hood, but some jackets don't have hoods)
Put your two arms straight in (into the sleeves, yes, with the coat upside down)
Then FLIP! (bring the jacket up and over your head, keeping your arms sliding into the sleeves)

Probably everyone uses it, but just in case ...
We call it the flip trick, and I teach it to everyone as soon as possible with zip up sweatshirts.

I have a similar routine to BC, but I have the youngest potty/diaper and then I start that one, the rest go from youngest-oldest going potty and then they start getting themselves ready a piece at a time. The oldest helps the youngers and we are all out the door in under 15 minutes. It's a nerve wracking time as the youngest WILL start stripping layers, but I just readjust her as soon as I am ready.

My 6 kids are all 2-4, but only 2 can do everything but zippers themselves.

We sing songs, count mittens, hats, boots, chat about the weather, whatever it takes to stay entertained for that time.
Reply Up