Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pets
TwinMama 06:37 AM 11-13-2014
I have a beagle who is for the most part very well behaved and sleeps most of the time. He actually snores and wakes himself up then goes back to sleep all day long.

The only problem is that when people first get there he's really excited and jumps.

After the person is in our home for like 5 or 10 minutes he usually doesn't care about them anymore.

DH and I are going to try and work with him in on this. He's 7 years old, but still able to learn new behaviors.

Has anybody ever had this be a huge problem when interviewing families? I just don't want this to ruin a chance to get the daycare going.
Kimskiddos 07:17 AM 11-13-2014
My dog is just like this, he's a boston terrier (We've tried for years to keep him from jumping on people with limited success, he is just spring loaded. LOL). He doesn't have access to my day care room, so that's not a problem. During interviews he is closed in dh's office with dh. The families get to meet him when they pick up outside, if he is out. Of course if they asked to meet him I would bring him out, but don't think that has ever happened.
Second Home 07:25 AM 11-13-2014
I have 2 boxers , I tell all interviewing clients that I have them and that they are in the house with me during dc hours. Towards the end of the interview I ask if they would like to meet them and I let them out one at a time . This of course depends on the gut feeling I have for the people during the interview . If I have a bad feeling or know I will not enroll them then I do not off er for them to meet the dogs .

As far as training the dog not to jump this is an easy way though it can take time .

Put the dog on leash while the dog is standing .
Drop the leash on the floor and step on the leash - leaving only enough slack in the leash for the dog to stand, wind it around your foot if he is strong enough to pull the leash out from under your foot .
Have someone ring the door bell / know then let them in .
The dog will not be able to jump up since you are standing on the leash and your hands are free to what ever you need .
I will then tell the dog to sit or down and give a treat .
Do it as many times days for the dog to get the idea that sitting / or laying gets them a treat and is better them jumping .
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 11-13-2014
Personally, I wouldn't allow my pets to have access to the DCF's and would not allow the DCF's access to my pets.

In the best interest of BOTH of them.
Indoorvoice 09:03 AM 11-13-2014
I put my dog in her kennel in the garage when parents come to pick up our drop off. She usually goes on a walk with dh during interviews. She is harmless and great with my own kids, but big and jumpy. She has very limited access to the dck. Not because I don't think she's safe, but because you just never know! I would hate to lose my pet because a dck accidentally hurt her and she snapped. I couldn't live with myself if one of the kids got hurt! I also just think it is less stressful for my dog to give her her own space. I do let parents know that we have a dog and the dck get to interact with her under my supervision only. I explain that she is gentle, but I limit contact for everyone's safety. They are always appreciative of this.
KIDZRMYBIZ 09:34 AM 11-13-2014
Our dog is fantastic and around us all day, (about 16 lbs, non-shedding, excellent temperament). I wouldn't have the daycare if that wasn't the way it could be. Mind you, we were extremely patient and picky when it came to finding our furry family member.

The only problem is he is such a momma's boy. If he is closed off in another room, outside, or even on the other side of the gate he starts whining and scratching and freaking out just to not be locked away from Mom. Even when he is with Dad or our three SA kids. It's pathetic. He comes off a little neurotic (that's the way it is when you stay home with them, just like human children!), so I just laugh at him and either the potential client understands or they don't.

The best trick I know to keep him occupied if I need to keep him away from a small child or nervous potential client is his Kong. It's a hard rubber treat holder that you can put peanut butter or that squirty cheese in. Keeps him quite busy for almost a half-hour. Then a refill will keep him busy even longer if need be.

I also want to add that our new little guy is also an "up greeter." We took him to obedience classes at the Humane Society and learned how to teach him "off" and try not to come up in the first place, but it is a L-O-N-G road to reteach this. The gal teaching the class told us that most small dogs seem incapable of controlling this urge, simply because they are so low to the ground and it is difficult for them to see people's faces from 10 inches off the ground. And if you want them to learn to NEVER jump up when greeting, then we (his family) should never invite or allow him to put his feet on our legs any time for any reason. Well, I like it when he comes to say hi and I don't have to bend so far over to give him a pet and a love. So we just taught him the command "off" and it works for us.
Unregistered 09:52 AM 11-13-2014
Put the dog on leash while the dog is standing .
Drop the leash on the floor and step on the leash - leaving only enough slack in the leash for the dog to stand, wind it around your foot if he is strong enough to pull the leash out from under your foot .
Have someone ring the door bell / know then let them in .
The dog will not be able to jump up since you are standing on the leash and your hands are free to what ever you need .
I will then tell the dog to sit or down and give a treat .
Do it as many times days for the dog to get the idea that sitting / or laying gets them a treat and is better them jumping .[/quote]

I am all about pets ..I advertize that I am all about pets
pets can teach children many things from gental touch, responsiblity to life and death
when it comes to the dogs I tell on phone all about all pets and ask about allergies and then talk about the dogs for that is who they meet first ...1 is 100lbs
when interview comes I have the dogs on porch with gate closed and I introduce them to the children and parents
I tell the children the dogs names and ages and that they will listen to the children ( and they do )and that they think every car that come in the yard with children comes with food in car ...lol...so they try to get into their cars ...
animals have been a big part of my life always ..from wild life rescue to farm pets ..so ...I have a lot of knowlege of interaction ex ..I used to take them to school and talk about safty and responsiblity ex...to the children
Licensing knows of course and right now in living room that we use I have 2 sleeping dogs, 1 sleeping cat , 2 chinichillas, 1 guinea pig ..in the spring we have incubators and chicks and ducklings every where
I am in Canada and have a home day care
Wednesday! 10:15 AM 11-13-2014
I kept my dog mostly separate for the first year. During that year, she made dozens, probably hundreds, of attempts to get into the room with my dcks. And the same with my dcks trying to get to her. All the parents really like her so I said forget this. It was a daily struggle and a complete headache.

So I started slowly allowing her more access to the children and they were ecstatic. She's a daily fixture in my program now. The kids climb on her, try to ride her, one dcg lays on her while sucking her thumb, and I cannot tell you how many times she's been "dressed up". If you can't beat em, join em.

We also have a crested gecko, but he's such a small, fragile thing that the dcks don't get to hold him. They are allowed to gently touch him tho. He's actually part of our science center.

The cat just sits on her highest available ledge and watches us with disdain and judgement.
Reply Up