Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Winter Wear
TheGoodLife 07:22 AM 11-20-2014
I sent out a fall/winter notice over a month ago going over what I need and suggest for winter supplies. I let my 3 families know we go outside each day when possible (it's cold in the midwest so we're used to it!) and I still have the DCM of my 18month old bring her DD in "cute" boots. Not water resistant, definitely not warm. And she is always in too-tight shoes so I can't double up on socks. DC said she was going to look at Walmart for winter ones, but still nothing. Well, guess who is crying now when we go outside? She is too old to stay inside even if I wanted to try to put her in a pack-and-play while we go out - ugh! She CAN go out in the boots, so I can't refuse care until she brings something different, but I'm sure she's not enjoying it. So I guess it's just bundling her up in her other gear each day and waiting for mom to bring appropriate shoes. She has the means to buy winter boots, just likes DD to be "cute" so I'm not sure what else I can do? I don't have spare shoes to give her to wear.
Unregistered 08:13 AM 11-20-2014
No, you do refuse care.Boots or shoes it's still not proper winter gear. Why make her problem your problem? Send her away with her kid and then she has no choice but to buy waterproof boots.
It shouldn't be that hard but they always have to make it that way! Ugh!
butterfly 08:53 AM 11-20-2014
I like the refusing care answer.

However.... I would probably take the passive aggressive approach. I'd make sure I was playing outside when that parent comes to pick up so that they can see how cold and miserable their cute little angel is.

Earlier this month, I sent out a sweet little newsletter thanking everyone for bringing all their winter gear and stating how nice it is to have warm kids when we go outside every day. (at that point only 2 kids out of 10 had brought winter gear. but the very next day everyone had items here! )
daycarediva 09:40 AM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I like the refusing care answer.

However.... I would probably take the passive aggressive approach. I'd make sure I was playing outside when that parent comes to pick up so that they can see how cold and miserable their cute little angel is.

Earlier this month, I sent out a sweet little newsletter thanking everyone for bringing all their winter gear and stating how nice it is to have warm kids when we go outside every day. (at that point only 2 kids out of 10 had brought winter gear. but the very next day everyone had items here! )
SNEAKY! I love it!

I would tell her FLAT OUT that you need waterproof/winter boots by X date or you will have no choice but to refuse care or call for pickup at outside time. Her child is cold, miserable and it's not fair to her (or you, or the other kids!)

I JUST did this with a client. They sent in brand new ********** work/construction style boots. WTH! NO! I sent them back home explaining that will NOT work, they need to be thick/winter style boots. ACTUAL SNOW BOOTS. Next day? Brand new Nike ankle high dress boots. *insert head banging here* I told her no, these will not work. She said "Well I looked at every shoe store in the mall and they don't have anything else!"

I just pointed to the shoe cubby and said "THOSE!" They're at every thrift store for under $10, payless, Walmart, target and kmart (all within a 30 mile radius)

and she says... "those are ugly!"

DUH! I told her I was more than happy to have him leave his boots here and he can wear cute shoes to/from here.

*ETA* She has until tomorrow or I will refuse care without them.
Scribbles 10:19 AM 11-20-2014
When it's time to go outside and I see that someone doesn't have the right gear, I call the parent and tell them we are waiting for them to either come pick up their child or bring the correct stuff. It usually only takes one time and they start remembering.
As for foot covering, have you tried putting large wool socks over the shoes for added warmth and protection? It works pretty well.
TheGoodLife 11:31 AM 11-20-2014
We haven't had a lot of snow, so it's not going up and over the toes of her shoes. I'm just going to keep reminding her to bring snow boots, and if we get a big snow where it would be a couple inches on the ground she will need them before I can accept her into care. As of now, she's mostly walking on top of packed snow. She's not crying, just doesn't look like she's having too much fun. My other two 1 year old boys apparently don't like being outside either when it's cold, but it was in the 20s today and we are bundled up and I just hope scarves can muffle any cries while they get used to it- we go out every day we safely can here! I've never had kids that didn't love being outside (but I have one that doesn't love anything, so it doesn't surprise me with him)
Tags:winter clothes
Reply Up