Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Do You Have Children Aged 2 to 5 Years? I Need Your Help
anonymoose 09:27 PM 05-03-2010
Hi,

My name is Sue-Anne, and I'm currently a student at the University of Pennsylvania. One of the courses I'm taking has to do with public communication campaigns, and for my final project, I've decided to create pamphlets concerning the use of fluoride toothpaste on children between the ages of 2 and 5.

In order to create an effective campaign, it would be wonderful to get some insight from the people I'm interested in. I would really appreciate it if you could take a look at the first version of the pamphlet at: http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...MTUzZjcx&hl=en

Maybe you could tell me what you think. Would you have picked this pamphlet up if you saw it in a day care center? Does it contain information you're concerned with? What stood out to you the most? Are there any things I could change to improve it?

Thank you so much!
QualiTcare 09:51 PM 05-03-2010
i think it's a good pamphlet if you put it in the right places/daycare centers.

for example, a lot of daycares who cater to parents on state assistance, WIC clinics, health departments, etc. have the OPPOSITE concern - in that children don't brush their teeth enough, if at all. so, the concern about too much fluoride isn't an issue.

again, it looks good - just target the right demographics.
Unregistered 11:17 AM 05-06-2010
I think the pamphlet was very informative..actually it was scary. Until I research this further I'm not giving my children flourinated vitamins (prescribed by their doctor). I thought the pictures were almost too scary..although they may be real..it looked like something out of a horror movie.
As for the person that responded saying people on assistance don't brush their teeth...Im a college graduate (BS in Marketing/minored in accounting) and when I divorced my first husband, because I was a stay at home mom..until I found a job and started getting child support, I had to go on public assistance and WIC. Even after finding a pt job and going back to school to get my BS in Nursing, I recieved WIC, State Medical Benefits, Welfare reinbursed me for my transportation to school & paid for my school books, and I recieved Child Care Subsidy through the state. ...Now I'm an RN..happily remarried..and own my own home in the top school district in my county. My children were on assistance for a couple years...and they always brushed their teeth!!! Don't assume people on assistance or WIC have kids that don't brush their teeth. In my state, a single mom with two kids can make $34,000 a year and still qualify for WIC, Childcare subsidy and other forms of assistance...and I bet people that most peolple working at daycare centers don't make over $34,000/yr. So don't assume that just because people are getting help that they don't have their children brush their teeth. You are ignorant.
QualiTcare 05:11 PM 05-06-2010
maybe you should read slower, or should i type slower?

you are jumping to conclusions saying i think everyone who gets assistance doesn't brush their teeth. i didn't say that at all. i said a lot of places SUCH AS health departments, WIC clinics, etc. have the opposite concern and they DO! if you walk into a health department, you will see pictures of children's rotten teeth and warnings about letting kids fall asleep with a bottle or sippy cup. parents giving their children too much fluoride just isn't a big concern in certain demographics. in fact, MOST people don't brush their children's teeth as much as they should regardless of who they are.
Former Teacher 06:29 PM 05-06-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
maybe you should read slower, or should i type slower?

you are jumping to conclusions saying i think everyone who gets assistance doesn't brush their teeth. i didn't say that at all. i said a lot of places SUCH AS health departments, WIC clinics, etc. have the opposite concern and they DO! if you walk into a health department, you will see pictures of children's rotten teeth and warnings about letting kids fall asleep with a bottle or sippy cup. parents giving their children too much fluoride just isn't a big concern in certain demographics. in fact, MOST people don't brush their children's teeth as much as they should regardless of who they are.
In my experience I have found the parents that were on WIC, medicaid etc..took better care of their child's teeth than the average person. They have to. Here in TX you are required to make your twice yearly appointments to be on medicaid.

So when someone who gets next to nothing dental care, of course they are going to have good teeth.
QualiTcare 06:45 PM 05-06-2010
we'll have to agree to disagree. i can't remember the last time i saw a rich kid with a bunch of silver crowns. i've seen lots of poor kids with them though.

there are exceptions to every rule. i was by no means saying every poor person doesn't take care of their kid's teeth. it's just logical IMO to target the right group. i wouldn't go to skid row trying to sell a porsche, and i wouldn't assume that most people in lower SES are using too much fluoride.

here's a study about it - i'm sure there are more:

http://jada.ada.org/cgi/content/full/132/2/216

"This study clearly suggests that socioeconomic status is an important predictor of dental health."
gbcc 05:54 AM 05-07-2010
I think it looks great. I especially like how you put in what parents can do about it, specifically with the ingredients to make your own safe toothpaste.
Tags:fluoride, fluorosis, toothbrush, toothpaste
Reply Up