Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Curriculum

Curriculum Post any curriculum ideas, activites or projects that wouldbe helpful to our Daycare community. What is your teaching philosophy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-09-2011, 04:56 AM
MommyMuffin's Avatar
MommyMuffin MommyMuffin is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 887
Default ABC's Worksheets?

I am not a teacher and my oldest child is 2. She will be turning 3 in August. I want to homeschool her for preschool. I am very overwhelmed.

There is so much information out there I am getting confused. She knows her letters. I am working on the sounds that the letters make.

What is the next step in teaching literacy and reading? What type of worksheets do your children like? We sing ABC songs and do flashcards. She has mastered this...what do I start teaching next?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Kaddidle Care's Avatar
Kaddidle Care Kaddidle Care is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,085
Default

Oh please don't get overwhelmed!

Teaching her how to hold a pencil properly is what I would also do at this point.

PreSchool where I work is touching on this and that. How to cut things without help and that's easy by just drawing a line on a piece of paper, then make it curvy, then at an angle. Make sure she is holding the paper properly when cutting so that she never cuts towards her hands.

Introduce shapes, numbers and colors - we do one a week, sometimes we take a couple of weeks to do them.

She can start tracing her name as well - Capitalize the first letter and lower case letters for the rest. (Many of us have taught all capitals only to have to go back and start again for Kindergarten.)

I use this site for my Pre-K's for tracing papers with their names on it.
http://www.mymoondrops.com/spelling.html

I've also gotten a lot of things from this site: http://www.first-school.ws/
I'm a PreK Assistant and if the Teacher is out and hasn't left me anything I go here for ideas the night before or that morning and print some things out to copy at work. There's LOTS to choose from right on one site.

Most of all, have fun with it. Don't over do it - make sure there is lots of time for play in-between. And don't forget to read to her!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2011, 12:03 PM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default

Look into the Montessori approach; it lends itself well to homeschooling. www.countingcoconuts.com is a great blog by a woman who homeschools her preschooler with the Montessori approach.

Hands-on learning is going to be much better for both of you than trying to force her to do worksheets. They aren't developmentally appropriate.

Don't push either of you too far or too fast; take it slow. At her age, the day should still be full of playing, playing, and more playing. They learn best through play. The biggest benefit to a Montessori approach, IMO, is that it is play-based, or at least feels like play to the children who are doing it. Provide the right materials and the opportunity for her to work on her own and at her own pace and you'll be amazed at what she suddenly knows!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-10-2011, 04:48 AM
melskids's Avatar
melskids melskids is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
Look into the Montessori approach; it lends itself well to homeschooling. www.countingcoconuts.com is a great blog by a woman who homeschools her preschooler with the Montessori approach.

Hands-on learning is going to be much better for both of you than trying to force her to do worksheets. They aren't developmentally appropriate.

Don't push either of you too far or too fast; take it slow. At her age, the day should still be full of playing, playing, and more playing. They learn best through play. The biggest benefit to a Montessori approach, IMO, is that it is play-based, or at least feels like play to the children who are doing it. Provide the right materials and the opportunity for her to work on her own and at her own pace and you'll be amazed at what she suddenly knows!
where's the "like" button?! i totally agree!!!!!

i dont use worksheets for children that young. i actually dont really use them at all, unless sometimes the older ones want them to play "school".

(just a few ideas...)

we make letters/numbers/shapes in sand and playdough, use the chalkboard or dry erase board, stamps and stencils, in art, table top games like memory or matching, etc.

and we read, read, read books! (the most important, i think)

i also label pretty much everything in our playspace with enviromental print. the chairs are labeled, their cubbies, the plants are even labeled with the names of them...lol, the toy bins and baskets, posters with real life objects, etc.

..and i LOVE counting coconuts!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-10-2011, 05:43 AM
Kaddidle Care's Avatar
Kaddidle Care Kaddidle Care is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,085
Default

Counting Cocounuts link doesn't work for me.

I work with older children for the most part so the link I posted is what I use. We get them ready for Kindergarten.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2011, 11:45 AM
melskids's Avatar
melskids melskids is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,767
Default

try www.countingcoconuts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-10-2011, 06:39 PM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melskids View Post
der, sorry! This is what I get for nursing with one hand and typing with the other and being too lazy to go look up the link, and just guessing. Heh, heh...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 PM
melskids's Avatar
melskids melskids is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
der, sorry! This is what I get for nursing with one hand and typing with the other and being too lazy to go look up the link, and just guessing. Heh, heh...
lol. i know the feeling. except i'm usually feeding a DC baby!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-11-2011, 09:38 AM
meganlavonnesmommy's Avatar
meganlavonnesmommy meganlavonnesmommy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 344
Default

I love BOB books and Leapfrog videos. I'm not a big supporter of TV, but the leapfrog videos are so great for teaching beginning letter sounds. I'll post some of our most used websites in a seperate post, many of those have printable worksheets.

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Books-Set-...0402869&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Facto...0402899&sr=8-3
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Nu2biz's Avatar
Nu2biz Nu2biz is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13
Default

I get my worksheets from our local Dollar Tree (this has saved me time and money). I also go to counting coconuts for ideas (there are so many). I also just found a new site.. Homeschoolcreations.com. I just printed off the astronaut pack and my dck seemed to like it. Best of all it's free. I am going to start this next "school year" with sandpaper letters. It's a Montessori method and I really like it. I've also found a list of what letters to teach in cretin order. I also agree with what else has been said.. Cutting (i started with a bin with paper and a pair of scissors and showed how to hold them) glueing colors shapes patterns etc. I also do a letter (shape color etc) a week as well. Good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Candyland's Avatar
Candyland Candyland is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Here in the good ole U.S.A.
Posts: 261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care View Post
Oh please don't get overwhelmed!

Teaching her how to hold a pencil properly is what I would also do at this point.

PreSchool where I work is touching on this and that. How to cut things without help and that's easy by just drawing a line on a piece of paper, then make it curvy, then at an angle. Make sure she is holding the paper properly when cutting so that she never cuts towards her hands.

Introduce shapes, numbers and colors - we do one a week, sometimes we take a couple of weeks to do them.

She can start tracing her name as well - Capitalize the first letter and lower case letters for the rest. (Many of us have taught all capitals only to have to go back and start again for Kindergarten.)

I use this site for my Pre-K's for tracing papers with their names on it.
http://www.mymoondrops.com/spelling.html

I've also gotten a lot of things from this site: http://www.first-school.ws/
I'm a PreK Assistant and if the Teacher is out and hasn't left me anything I go here for ideas the night before or that morning and print some things out to copy at work. There's LOTS to choose from right on one site.

Most of all, have fun with it. Don't over do it - make sure there is lots of time for play in-between. And don't forget to read to her!
I love your approach, Kaddidle Care.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-12-2011, 08:47 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I agree that right now is the time to learn to hold your writing tool. Usually around this age I have them draw lines, trace lines, circles and squiggley lines. I teach them how to draw lines from the top to bottom. I show them where to start to make a circle. All of these things will be necesary when learning to write their letters. I teach them what it means to make a line across and so on.

Once I feel they are able to hold their pencil correctly and have good contact to the paper with it, I move them on to lower case letters.

I was taught that upper case letters are only 5% of the letters that we read, so children will identify with lower case letters much sooner than capital.

I think that no matter where you start, as long as you start some where and don't push them too hard, make it fun the children will love to write..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alphabet templates, homeschool, reading, worksheet

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you do Preschool Curriclum - How do you do ABC's? Crazy8 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 08-20-2012 08:22 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming